Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > D900 diagnostics on FFRR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Contraband

Scotland 
D900 diagnostics on FFRR?

My sons ford 2003 fiesta had a warning light on. I thought I would have a look at it myself by buying a diagnostics tool. I ended up buying a D900. I knew little about Diagnostics readers but "read" that this was a good all rounder at reading and clearing codes. It worked a treat.
I read that all manufacturers by law had to have a diagnostics port on their vehicles since 2002.
It has been preloaded with about 20+ manufacturers codes.
Landrover is on it. On the list of vehicles it says range rover 75.
Does anyone know what a Range Rover 75 is ?
I would like to plug it in to my FFRR but I am not sure if my curiosity could damage the car.. But if it is a standard OBD2 port on the FFRR it should be ok, maybe not connect, but not damage anything??
Anyone else tried this? Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #158026 17th Dec 2012 2:55pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the rover 75 was a saloon car back in the 90's i think...

all the normal diagnostic readers will read the most common errors [a must by EU law apparently ] but car manufacturers hide the diagnostic 'reads' that matter ..this is when tools like the IIDTool come in handy........ ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #158027 17th Dec 2012 2:59pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Laughing yip I know the rover 75... But this is listed as land rover, range rover 75 !!?? Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #158045 17th Dec 2012 3:45pm
47p2

Scotland 

Misprint Shocked

Post #158047 17th Dec 2012 3:47pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Curiosity is going to make me plug it in... I'll post the results. Confused Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #158049 17th Dec 2012 3:49pm
47p2

Scotland 

Don't plug it in if you are near Grangemouth then Laughing Laughing

Post #158050 17th Dec 2012 3:53pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #158051 17th Dec 2012 4:02pm
47p2

Scotland 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #158052 17th Dec 2012 4:03pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

I have no idea what a 'D900' is, but it shouldn't cause an atomic explosion... I think. Razz

There does not seem to be much clarity on fault code readers and what to expect when you (try to) use one. Here's a short explanation (that still ended up long...)

You have to separate different DTCs (Diagnostic trouble codes or simply faults) into various categories:

- generic OBD codes: these are all the emissions related codes that come from the drivetrain (motor and transmission). These are standardized across all manufacturers so that they can be read all over the world at emissions testing stations. There are OBD readers starting at GBP20-30 that do a fine job of reading these. Some even manage to clear fault codes.
- manufacturer specific codes: all the rest of the systems on the vehicle. In a Hyundai that is probably not too much, but in the L322 it is quite a bit - and many items such as the EAS, ABS, DSC, etc. are vital for vehicle operation as well. These can only be read by manufacturer specific code readers.

You can also separate the diagnostic systems into different categories:

- generic code readers: only emissions related OBD codes. Start at GBP20-30. Some of the more expensive ones may include live values (engine/trans only) and the non-generic ability to clear SRS faults (turn off airbag light) which makes them attractive for small, independent repair facilities.
- manufacturer specific fault code readers: can only read and clear faults. Shows no live values, allows no manual component activation/testing, no vehicle programming, etc. The only 'pure' fault code read/clear device for LR vehicles is the Blackbox FCR.
- manufacturer specific diagnostic systems more for personal than professional use: allow some or all of the functions of a full diagnostic system: live values, manual component activation/testing, vehicle programming, etc. Depending on the cost, these may or may not be locked to one vehicle VIN and have increasingly more functionality with increasing price (our IIDTool is a bit of an exception here - see below). These start at the low end with the RoverAllComms (only early L322) and Hawkeye, and go through our IIDTool and the Blackbox Faultmate. The latter 2 are VIN locked.
- professional diagnostic systems: these include the OEM LR IDS/SDD, Autologic, Blackbox Faultmate, and IIDTool Pro (coming end of 1st quarter 2013 Razz )

Explanation on the IIDTool pricing vs. functionality: the IIDTool is extremely capable - especially at the price it sells for. We specifically looked to partner with a large retailer in order to be able to sell larger volumes and keep the price very competitive: in our case this worked out well with Britpart as our distribution partner. We also used the vehicle as an 'interface' to keep hardware costs low (thus Integrated Interface Diagnostic Tool). Essentially, the IIDTool provides the same functionality as diagnostic systems costing 3-4x as much.

HTH 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #158086 17th Dec 2012 6:32pm
Contraband

Scotland 

It's ok Steve, you can rest easy ! My £20 eBay purchase does not talk to the FFRR. So far I have tried it on a petrol ford, diesel ford and a Kia. It worked fine with them.
Whilst trying to establish communications with the FFRR I noticed it ran through approx 5 different protocols. It eventually errored and displayed unable to connect.
Not for a minute did I think it was going to rival the IID tool, Rolling with laughter , but to be honest, I did expect it to connect and display even the most basic functionality. As it is EU law that it should be able to communicate I am surprised it would not even link up.... Just goes to show, £20 does not go as far as it used to!!
Maybe I should have spent an extra £5 for the pro version ! Laughing
I noticed my OBD port flap was open. It must have been like that since it was last in the dealers... Last April. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #158105 17th Dec 2012 7:56pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Contraband wrote:
Not for a minute did I think it was going to rival the IID tool

Neither did I! Razz

That was non the reason for the long post, tho. It was simply thought as a general explanation as this seemed an appropriate spot. I will be copying and pasting to other threads in the future (been meaning to do an explanation post like this for a while). 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #158377 18th Dec 2012 9:00pm
Contraband

Scotland 

I appreciate it. It was informative. Being a DIYer, it's only a matter of time I suppose before I have to buy an IIDtool. At least I know it will do the job. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #158401 18th Dec 2012 11:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1