Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Impression
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
cpd1

United Kingdom 

wow 1M miles? That's 40 yrs at 25k ea. year. Did you get a RR from the very beginning?
Sounds like LR should give you a L405 for free after doing so much work for them and being such a loyal customer Very Happy

Badger wrote:
Well, I'm 24k miles and 1 year into my 10th Vogue (my 2nd 4.4TDv8), having done around 1m miles in FFRRs, and I have the first new RR out of my local dealership being delivered W1 Feb. Having spent 3 hours driving the new RR on all road types and over a very rough and wet offroad course at West Wycombe, I can tell you that the new car is an improvement in every respect.
Looks, you'll have to decide for yourself (personally I find it a jewel to look at), but it really is a step-change evolution all around.

Post #161977 5th Jan 2013 12:16am
campaj1

United Kingdom 
Re: Impression

VMPP wrote:
Been last week inside one of the new Ranges, an totally not impressed with the new car.

It is, by far, a great product, but it lives more by what gizmos and bells it has, than by being a proper Range Rover.
The car was parked in the garage below the dealer showroom and you had to look twice to find it, as its stance is not at all imposing. With the old car, you could spot one on the streets miles ahead. The main thing is the rear, which seems totally out of proportion. I said once, you could stretch and resize the previous three models and they would all fit into the same template. With this one, you couldn't do that as the car has the wrong proportions.

Then there are some detailing which are also a bit bad. The plastic on the top of the bonnet feels and looks very cheap. The door gills are not also a very quality item.

The inside on the other hand, feels very good and very well built. The driving position gives some of the Range Rover feel, even though it is not a 100% level. Something has been lost.

I've been inside a P38, Classics, and the L322, and somehow, when I sit in the drivers seat, they all feel special, taking into account their ''times''. This one, i sat on the drivers seat, the passenger, even the rear seat and the car does not feel like an event, as all the others do. It feels like a very good car, but not a special one.

I, for one, exited the dealer with the strong conviction, that for the time being, would much rather spend my money on a second hand later 4.4 and not this new one. Even if given the Euromillions draw.

I have to agree with this: I have seen one in the flesh and reckon that if, say, mercedes had made this car it would seem more natural, but whether this is a design icon? It's doubtful. Plus you have to do the 30 year test: will it look right as a winter tool lingering in a remote Welsh farmyard? I don't think so, it will just look ridiculous with its enormous alloys and trinkety detailing. Plus all of the aforementioned gadgets are bound to go wrong, for as much as it pains all us fans to admit it, JLR's reliability is frankly crap. For instance, how annoying is it going to be when you try to open the tailgate in the morning, only to find that the fancy opening system has packed up. Cursing, you try to hurl your bags in via the back doors, only to find that the soft close system has done the same. Eventually you prise open the drivers door, only to find that the massage system is stuck on, the mood lighting has defaulted to a hideous shade of brown, the park assist tries to assist on the motorway and the panoramic sunroof has sprung a leak.

Post #162012 5th Jan 2013 12:41pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 

rant over Laughing

Post #162014 5th Jan 2013 12:42pm
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Java Jungle wrote:
Have one on pre-order for February/March delivery but I don't have to take it if I change my mind Exclamation To be honest VMPP, I'm not 100% sure myself Embarassed On some pictures it looks realy nice and on others I think:"What have they done" Evil or Very Mad Haven't seen one in flesh yet, but from the pictures it looks HUGE! The interior looks niche though.
Well, time will tell, to keep mine or to change...
The L322 is now 10 years old but it still looks great, IMO Thumbs Up

JJ

Try to get a glimpse of one ''in the flesh''.

The new car is very good indeed, but, as I said, I doesn't feel special.
When you get into any RR, old or new, you kinda breathe deep, and admire the view. (command driving position term they use...). With this one, the feel you get is of a very good, high end, car, but not that ''event'' feel you get with any of the older models.

So, don't throw the dealar the cash without being sure about the car...

Post #162139 6th Jan 2013 1:27am
campaj1

United Kingdom 

Quote:

When you get into any RR, old or new, you kinda breathe deep, and admire the view. (command driving position term they use...). With this one, the feel you get is of a very good, high end, car, but not that ''event'' feel you get with any of the older models.

Yeah they look very ordinary in the flesh

Interior looks nice at first glance... more like a big Audi though[/quote]

Post #162140 6th Jan 2013 1:30am
Tomw2000

2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

So, I drove the v6 version of the L405 yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

1) my current tdv8 is just a standard vogue and the new interior did feel more luxurious/quality - but I expected that
2) despite the figures on paper the v6 did feel slower that the current tdv8 - to be fair it was a very brief drive and I wasn't hammering it
3) it did feel smoother and quieter - but given the brief drive didn't really get a good idea of how much better or different The handling is
4) quite like the panoramic roof

The dealer was Marshalls of Melton Mowbray (they've done the body repair work on the current car - all good and glad to have her back). They'd also just had a causeway grey 4.4 se and a yukky silver 4.4 tdv8 autobiography delivered as demos. Unfortunately these hadnt been prep'd yet but the guy let me have a poke around anyway.

I really like the causeway grey. I think this is the only colour that would tempt me away from black. And the se has the suede/alacantara roof lining which looked nice.

In conclusion: for me at least, one can see where the extra cost is going. I'm still not 101% on the looks. But to be honest, if money were no object I'd have one in a shot.

As it stands: I imagine it'd take the current car plus £35-40k to get in the new one I'd want (can get one first half of this year if I like) and I'm not sure I want to commit to that spend.

And I am very pleased with the current one we have.

Depends what Mrs Tomw2000 wants to do with houses/moving this year. Will keep you posted Smile MY2011 TDV8 Vogue - GONE
MY2006 Porsche 911 C2S - GONE
MY2003 Defender 90 (JE stage 2)

Post #162187 6th Jan 2013 2:29pm
Java Jungle

Monaco 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Nara Bronze

VMPP, will have to see when it's here, but surely not going take it if I'm not 100% sure Thumbs Up

Thanks!

JJ

Post #162198 6th Jan 2013 3:39pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

VMPP wrote:

Very good advice.
I've been quite impressed since they started to appear, but the more I see the more it strikes me as a big luxury 4x4, rather than a "Range Rover".

Saw one "in the metal" last night. I was disapointed.
Looked smaller than I expected too.

No doubt it is a very good car, but in the transition to more modern and aerodynamic it's lost something.

My plan was always to get one in a year or two when any bits have dropped off and the depreciation has set in.
At least that gives me a bit of time to think about it and see them on the road before I take the plunge.

Post #162682 8th Jan 2013 9:15am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

^ +1 Disappointing in the flesh on the road. Looked good in Paris under the lights but parked at the Dealer it looks a bit tubby and ordinary...

Post #162683 8th Jan 2013 9:18am
Rolo

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Orkney Grey

wackyjim wrote:
^ Been thinking the same as you...Is the new model that much better than a late L322??????????

Personally I don't think it is. Don't get me wrong it's very good, but the quality is the same if not more plasticy in places on the buttons. Drive is not that different, just a bit more agile round the corners.
Power tailgait will be handy on those rainy shopping trips, but at the moment I prefer the dash / inside layout on the old model.

If you're one to have the latest car each time, then it's a must have otherwise you will be out of date.
But what else is there to get once our own Rangies get too old & do eventually fancy a change ?

There really still isn't anything else to go for anywhere near as good. Even if you don't need the 4x4 ability, nothing compares to the driving position / feel....does it ?

Post #162808 8th Jan 2013 7:09pm
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

I remember thinking when the P38 was launched that it wasn't a real RR and that the old car had been debased by the new aero look. But familiarity brought acceptance of the shape, and the mechanicals of the newer car at the time were undoubtably better (if not properly tested for reliability) with the air suspension and more cohesive interior.

The L405 might well come into that category too. For me I've seen many on the road around Gaydon and now in the dealer and the I'm comfortable with the front and middle but slightly less with the (Sport-like) rear end. The slightly lower overall height is what is most game changing as regards the overall look as it initially seems less imposing. I read somewhere that you actually sit at the same height though. For sales that is actually quite important. My local dealer reported a lot of wealthy people moving into Disco (and FL2!) when the recession started as the RR was too in your face and I'm certain many of us have experienced jealousy on the road.

What swings it for me most is the inclusion of all the things that the L322 was missing, especially after the 2010 update.

The biggest issue having been the lack of nav', telephone and radio info in the TFT. That is now sorted and you can even import POIs into it. The addition of the speed limiter, the remote control of the air suspension when hitching the trailer, the longer flat loading area, that magnificent panoramic roof, the lack of body roll, marginally better fuel efficiency, performance and refinement make it better too. You'll note that most of my plus points relate to the usage experience and not only the visual. Certainly mine felt very rely poly after testing the new one.

Now flame away, agree, disagree but I'll be ordering one as soon as I can as I applaud LR for moving things on. After all you could say that none of the subsequent iterations have done the original justice. 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #162831 8th Jan 2013 8:01pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Well said Nick.

I hope the looks will grow on me (I expect they will) as I prefer the L322 for looks. I am pretty sure I'll be buying a L405 in the future (when prices are "reasonable" and reliability info is readily available, so wealthy people, please buy as many L405s as you can, the sooner I can get mine Smile. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #162834 8th Jan 2013 8:07pm

United Kingdom 

Nick Ground wrote:
I read somewhere that you actually sit at the same height though. .

I dont see how this is possible. The L405 vehicle height is over 4cm lower and the headroom inside is the same therefore you must be sat lower.

If you look at the dimensions in both brochures driving the L405 at normal height would equate to driving the L322 at access height.

This is why I think it gives the impression of having "lost something" for some people in terms of the feeling while sat in or driving it.

I haven't driven one yet but have been invited to a launch driving event at the London Excel centre on the 18th so I will be able to see for myself then, but the height is something I think I will miss.

Post #162842 8th Jan 2013 8:35pm
Java Jungle

Monaco 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Nara Bronze

There really still isn't anything else to go for anywhere near as good. Even if you don't need the 4x4 ability, nothing compares to the driving position / feel....does it ?

100% agree!!!

JJ

Post #162860 8th Jan 2013 9:10pm
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

Well you may be right, however I drove one for about an hour on Saturday and certainly did not feel lower. I note that in my L322 I could possibly wear a hat when driving (don't mean a flat cap) and in fact I do often. As I am 6 foot tall and sit quite upright that means there is a lot of headroom. I suspect that wouldn't be possible in the L405 so they may have gained two or three cm there?

OR I didn't read the fact or due to age related amnesia I have attributed the comment to the RR from another review. 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #162886 8th Jan 2013 10:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>