Home > Technical (L322) > air suspension question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
muffster

2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
air suspension question

Hi folks,
I've got the usual problem with my air suspension. I got an indie to clear the fault code but it returned.
I noticed that when I jacked it up from the front to get underneath, on lowering it back down it sat really low down at the rear, but the compressor kicked in and it leveled it's self out again.
So does that mean that the compressor it knackered or not?
Can't operate the suspension form the button on the drivers door or the switch on the centre console.
Also, can I remove the compressor and still drive the car safely?

Thanks.

Post #176913 10th Mar 2013 6:38pm
Joe90

England 

What was the fault code ?

Any orange lights on the dash?

Put into off road height and try lifting each corner, any hissing? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #176915 10th Mar 2013 6:53pm
Durham4416

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

When I got 'air suspension inactive' on the dash a couple of weeks ago my Indy said compressor, I bought some new wheels so jacked it up to change them, the car dropped to the floor on lowering the jack as yours did but once started it levelled itself back up, even if your compressor is knackered this will happen due to air still being in the system, on r I had the compressor replaced I can now use the dial on the dash to alter it normally

Post #176917 10th Mar 2013 8:29pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

You need an indie with the autologic kit, I had inactive on mine, was a height sensor, £110 all in!

Post #176920 10th Mar 2013 8:39pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You need fault codes pal... Rolling Eyes

Post #176949 11th Mar 2013 10:07am
Durham4416

Yes I agree but I was just pointing out to not rule out a knackered compressor as mine lifted back up after dropping g to the floor and it turned out to be a compressor

Post #177003 11th Mar 2013 3:00pm
muffster

2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

I don't know what the code was off the top of my head but it was plugged in at a good local indie who confirmed it was indeed the compressor.
So, can the car be driven whilst the compressor is off?

Post #177063 11th Mar 2013 9:31pm
Durham4416

I drove about 400 mile as I'd arranged to go to Scotland, couldn't obviously use the different height settings, just try park on level ground till its replaced

Post #177064 11th Mar 2013 9:35pm
Stoich

Scotland 

Used mine for 2 years before I eventually got round to replacing compressor.

Indi with testbook showed resevoir slow to reach pressure causing 'Suspension Inactive'.

If compressor is on way out it will be slow to fill resevoir, the compressor (and suspension) will still continue to work although cant select hight on switch, otherwise will operate ok.

I had problem with rear being very low following a puncture and having to change wheel. (This happened about 4 miles up a mountain track, where sh*tty range rover jack also failed-thats another story)). I had to drive extremley slowly, scraping my way down the track, before reaching main road. The suspension returns to normal height after being driven over 15 mph( or something like that) for a set period. Unfortunately wasnt possible to drive at that speed up the mountain on a rocky track when you are already bottoming out at less than 5mph.

Incidentally, I also changed the resevoir pressure sensor in the hope that's where the problem lay, it wasn't.

In reality it is highly likeley that it is your compressor that is knackered.
It is literally a 10 minute job to change out, and you don't need much mechanical know how to do the job, but you will need someone with correct equipment to reset the fault code. If you like it, who cares what other people think

Post #177991 17th Mar 2013 12:43pm
daz62

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Hi Muffster, I have replied in your own thread because it is going slightly off topic in the "clamshell" thread.

I had similar problems to you with my 03 vogue so sympathise with you, it isn't nice having a poorly FF on the drive.

I find it hard to understand that now you have a new pump fitted why can't your indi isolate the problem? They have one less thing to worry about.

If the back end is on its bump stops then either the bags must be blown, the air isn't getting from the pump to the rear bags (a valve? Pump to all wheels, left to right or back to front) or height sensors maybe.

I initially had a front drivers side bag spring a leak, this in turn caused the pump to struggle and throw it's own error and eventually I had the car sitting on the bump stops front AND back on the drivers side(not pretty).

A new bag up front sorted the suspension problems, my pump still needs changing it is hanging on but pumping slow and noisily.

I hope someone with a better knowledge of the precise way the suspension works can jump in and help you.

Good luck. 03 4.4 V8 petrol / lpg. 1st of many hopefully. I love my Rangie

Post #180405 30th Mar 2013 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1