Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Preventive maintenance : Replace Transmission Cooler ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green
Preventive maintenance : Replace Transmission Cooler ??

I would like your opinion :

Would it be worth to replace your transmission cooler as preventive maintenance. Following the failure of mine, I found some reports on the net that the transmission cooler is a weak spot of the ZF boxes, not only in LR but in Ford and other cars that have this ZF transmission.

It sounds like the earlier transmission cooler have this issue and I read it is corrosion related.

When it fails the consequences can be substantial read the gearbox can fail. If you don't notice it in time (the leak) the coolant in the ATF can do serious damage to the gearbox resulting in massive damage i.e. full rebuilt or replacement.

So would you replace it ?? If I had known about this before the failure, I probably would have considered it. What about you guys. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #177666 14th Mar 2013 10:01pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Replace! On the ZF box (4.4 petrol), ATF £10P/L, filter £10, new cooler £83. Got to be preferable to £2000+ for a box rebuild! Prob do it cheaper if you were carful and kept the fluid loss to a minimum and didn't do a total fluid and filter change while you were at it. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #177673 14th Mar 2013 10:22pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Depends on how long you keep the car for I suppose and the conditions it's in. In Lagos its clearly hotter than the UK (Most places are).

If its a cheapish and easy enough thing to do, maybe it's worth it.

Personally, I love preventative maintenance, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #177718 15th Mar 2013 11:26am
ebajema

I'm old school as well (raised by a true mechanical engineer driving British cars for most of his life, Triumph and Rover), preventive maintenance is the holy grail of long term car ownership and the best prevention of cold rainy nights waiting for roadside assistance or trying to fix it. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #177723 15th Mar 2013 11:43am
klf400

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

preventive maintenance is allways the key , it costs money but money well spent and there is nothing like peace of mind ,
changed my radiator ,transmision cooler ,and fluid all the water hoses, and expansion tank etc Thumbs Up 1990 3.5 v8 defender
2000 4.6 v8 30th anniversary prins lpg
2004 4.4 v8 vogue prins lpg
2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
faultmate extreme
rsw allcoms
Autel 906BT
Gap iiD tool

Post #177780 15th Mar 2013 6:39pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

On the 4.4 and SC why not replace the standard water-oil heat exchanger and cap the standard one off and mount a small unit using the fuel cooler and ducting from a TD6 instead? Could even wire a fan in series with the standard electric front fan if your that worried about it needing cooling or a small temp actuated sensor so that when it got to 95'c it would activate a fan. A standard 12v PC case fan should do the job if in slow traffic or slow speeds for such durations? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #177799 15th Mar 2013 8:42pm
ebajema

That sounds like a potential plan KP, especially since high quality aftermarket coolers are easy to get from places like the US. If I had my tools and gear here, I would definitely do that. Here no chance, too limited in time, workspace and kit.

Now if someone smart, handy and entrepreneurial would come up with a kit that can be fitted relatively easily (Meerbusch ??), then I would consider doing it here, but for now I just go with original, hoping the new cooler is the improved version Sad MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #177805 15th Mar 2013 9:21pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

If you know what the fittings are on the box for the output an the input and what the fittings onto a cooler would be and what angle they need to be then pirtek in the UK can knock them up while you wait and their knocked up stuff has never failed me or countless others in some serious applications Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #177817 15th Mar 2013 10:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1