Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Oil leak but no idea where from - PCV failure?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dirtyharry

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue
Oil leak but no idea where from - PCV failure?

Oil has started leaking this week on the FF and I cannot for the life of me trace where it is coming from.

My initial thoughts were it could be the PCV failing and forcing oil out of the rocker cover gaskets and the filler cap. I have checked both, are there was a trace of what seemed to be fresh oil around the base of the filler cap and oil has certainly leaked around the bolts holding the rocker covers in place. However, with the engine running and me laying underneath the front of the vehicle, I can't see oil actually escaping from anywhere - I had expected (or hoped!) to at least see some oil trickling from one or two of the rocker cover bolts maybe (if it is the PCV that's causing it). But it is so tightly packed down the left side of the engine it's almost impossible to see anything!

Wherever it is coming from, the oil is dripping onto the pipes that are connected to the transmission oil cooler, as well as several other components in that vicinity - i.e. it seems to be concentrated on the left side of the engine (although there is a small trace of oil around each of the right-hand side rocker cover bolts - but nothing too serious).

Is there any way to test if the PCV has failed without removing it? I'm guessing the answer is no Sad

I did notice that the two large top hoses connected to the PCV have definitely been changed in the past. They look almost knew, as do the jubilee clips holding them onto the PCV itself. These may have been changed when the LPG was fitted (although that was back in 2008) but, either way, they are not "squidgy", as most of these go after a while. So I guess it is possible that the PCV has been changed too - but I cannot say for sure.

Any suggestions as to what to do next would be very much appreciated Wink Cheers

Greg

Go ahead punk, make my day........

Previous vehicles:-
Far too many to list (in excess of 45!)

Post #182210 10th Apr 2013 4:41pm
Mrmerlin

2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

try removing the PVC hose from the top rear of the cam cover this would be the left side cam cover as seen when sitting in the truck
if the outlet is plugged then its a sure bet the PVC system is ready for overhaulin
also check the cam chain tensioner,
see if its tight, this is on the right hand side front of the engine.
Check the Vanos Solenoid seals these will leak down the front of the engine.

Check the return oil hose attached to the right hand side of the block just above the oil pan seal,
some of the engines were modded and they cut the hard line and put on a small rubber hose,
the hose will swell with oil and then it leaks replacement of the small vacuum type line will restore the seal.
This hose returns oil from the oil separator thats next to the PVC plate at the rear of the engine.

Get an inspection mirror and look along the sides of the cam covers see if oil is running down them .

NOTE all of the inspection of the PVC plate will be easier if you remove the HVAC filter housing .
2 nuts and a rubber seal then it slides forward and off

Post #182497 12th Apr 2013 12:38am
dirtyharry

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Thanks Mrmerlin Thumbs Up

Plenty of things for me to check this weekend. I'm going to change the camshaft cover gaskets anyway, as I have already seen traces of oil leaking from each bolt (but nothing major).

Hopefully, I'll find the source of the leak from one of the other suggestions you've given me. Smile Cheers

Greg

Go ahead punk, make my day........

Previous vehicles:-
Far too many to list (in excess of 45!)

Post #182499 12th Apr 2013 6:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1