Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Gas Regulator - Responsible person required.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Trev18

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Zambezi Silver
Gas Regulator - Responsible person required.

Well it looks like I have just been suckered by the EU rules on a Truma gas Regulator..... 2009 Bailey Indiana just been in for its annual check-up / service......

Engineer Identified a 50% reduction in gas flow into the caravan via the regulator... should be 30....

That will be £60 fitted +Vat....... Not covered under warranty.....You must be using dirty gas......

Well I've heard it all now...

What was wrong with the tried and tested gas bottle regulator.... - It obviously liked getting down and dirty

Me thinks these new Kids don't know how to play outdoors and should be wrapped in cotton wool.....and god forbid they get dirty...

The principal of it.

NO one takes responsibility... Bailey say speak to the supplying dealer, No speak to Truma, Not us mate speak to Calor..... Wow Slopey Shoulders....

I wonder if the Sale of Goods Act 1979 is worth me rocking the boat....Sorry caravan...... te he
Anyone had a similar experience / laugh........

Trev..

Last edited by Trev18 on 27th Apr 2013 8:18pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #185157 27th Apr 2013 7:26pm
RCusden

Wales 

My father had the same thing with his swift on the first service with the same response as you got not covered under warranty. Seems to be a common issue as the dealer had plenty in stock. He tried to pursue it but got no where.
Roger

Post #185165 27th Apr 2013 8:13pm
Trev18

Dick Turpin - Wore a mask when he robbed someone.......

At least I got four years..... ........... Not bad then in comparison...... Whistle Rolling with laughter

Post #185167 27th Apr 2013 8:17pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Its a problem which has been highlighted in the caravanning mags a few times over the past couple of years. Cant remember the outcome of the top of my head however it wasnt a straightforward apportionment of blame, I think it was bailey who were looking into it along with truma and Practical caravanning mag. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #185319 28th Apr 2013 7:18pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've not heard anything about this- what is it?

Post #186270 2nd May 2013 11:59pm
Trev18

Noddy,

Neither had I until I put "Truma gas regulator problems" in a well known search engine.......

A certain link has the following info..

l talked to the technician who was convinced it was the regulator, its a Truma by the way. What questions should l be asking the dealer regarding what modifications have been done by Truma to try and alleviate the problem. Do l need to have stainless steel hoses or does the dealer know about the gumming up problem, l am due to pick it up this morning. l am sure l read in pr**** caravan that it was only effecting 3% of regulators is this correct, if this is correct l would have put money on us getting one of them considering all the other failures we have had with the van, thought we had corrected all of them in January when it went in for all the warranty work, seems like another problem hope this is the last. By the way l don't blame the dealer l blame the Industry has whole who need to look at itself otherwise next van l look at maybe foreign made. A disgruntled H****r.

Trev

Post #186304 3rd May 2013 8:22am
Stuart

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I am a caravan dealer and see no end of blocked Truma regulators. Truma blamed Calor, and Calor blamed Truma. But I think that it has now been established that the fault may lay with Truma. I sell only used caravans, and offer my own warranty. I would replace a faulty Truma regulator under my warranty, and indeed have done so. Other dealers may not cover this problem under warranty, especially if it is an insurance based warranty.

Post #221201 6th Nov 2013 6:06pm
Trev18

Had to pay for a new one...... Big Cry Big Cry

Bailey didn't want to know even though in warranty.....

Not good customer service from Bailey...... No one will take your call, you have to send an email, then nobody replies
I managed to get to speak to someone only after telling them I would wait.. and wait... and wait and wait...
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Trev Current Cars
(Sold) Range Rover TD6 05 Vogue SE - 85k - Zambezi Silver - Black Leather..
Kia Ceed (4) 1.6 - 33k - Silver
Previous.
VW Golf 2008 2.0 SDI (With Add Ons) - 109k Silver
Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 Petrol SRI - with Ex Pack 32k -Turquoise (traded for the FFRR)

Post #221230 6th Nov 2013 7:38pm
northernmonkeyjones

I having posted above, i had the same problem on my 2010 ultima, first trip out......

Was miles from the supplying dealer so managed to get one from a local caravan shop, and fitted it in 10 mins, leak tested it and all was good. Fortunately i knew what the problem was so could sort it quickly, however a less technically minded person may have had to struggle on for the rest of the hols Thumbs Up

There is no way to dismantle the regulator without resorting to a grinder, so it had to be a new one......

£50 i shouldnt have had to spend on a caravan which just passed its used pdi... Big Cry There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #221247 6th Nov 2013 8:19pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I had this on a 2012 caravan. It's so well documented I found a large helping of common sense and fitted......wait for it............a bottle mounted regulator. Cost me a fiver. Works like a champ.

Simples. Thumbs Up

Post #221250 6th Nov 2013 8:35pm
Trev18

Hi,

You hit the nail on the head "It is not a "serviceable Part" and it is secured to the van.... but having their cake and eat it... as they say its not covered under warranty...... Twisted Evil

That was my point exactly --- We don't touch it..... They decided to put it on as a replacement for the old faithful gas bottle regulator....... Take responsibility.......

I noticed the drop in flame at the cooker and oven... checked the gas bottle level, but did not realise it was this part that had failed.... Until my yearly service it was picked up...

Going to France next year so will make sure its checked again before hand...

Trev Current Cars
Previous.
Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 Petrol SRI - with Ex Pack 32k -Turquoise (traded for the FFRR)

Post #221252 6th Nov 2013 8:38pm
Trev18

Hi... mzplcg

Have you fitted it instead of the new unit or as a extra precautionary measure before it

I still have my originals so would not cost a bean....

Trev Current Cars
Previous.

Post #221254 6th Nov 2013 8:42pm
northernmonkeyjones

Funny though, it only seems to be newer models which have a problem.....

The bulkhead regulator on my older 2004 quasar 615 never had a problem in 6 years of ownership.

There was talk of it being related to the degradation of the supply hoses from the bottle to the regulator, and this leaving a residue in the regulator which clogged it. But I used the same truma hoses on the old van as the new one. I reckon someone may have used a cheaper black gas hose on the new van and this may be the source of the problem though as it has been a long argument in the industry as to who was to blame it may be mo complex than that.....

having had a quick google there are other brands apart from truma who make these, and there are some around the £20 mark p, one of which I will be getting for the spares box in the van. Gaslow also make an auto changeover regulator which seems to swap bottles when one runs out.... Sounds like a good idea. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #221255 6th Nov 2013 8:47pm
Stuart

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Hi Guys (especially northernmonkeyjones, trev18 and mzplcg)

Sorry to hear of your problems with the Truma bulkhead-mounted regulator. As I said earlier, we have had no end of problems with these. Truma's defence was that their regulators have a double safeguard on them that other regulators do not have, and therefore their regulator saves potential damage to the rubbers swelling on installed equipment such as gas ovens, hobs, fridges etc (ie the oil does not reach - and swell - these parts).

But having had a caravan myself from new since 1998, with a bottle mounted regulator, I have had no issues with my the regulator nor any other caravan fitted with such a regulator!! (Well done, mzplcg!).

I would replace a Truma regulator under my warranty - and have done so several times. I sincerely want to keep my customers happy, and the cost of a replacement unit is not worth the bad press of not replacing it, in my opinion. In fact, I now stock (and supply) a different make which has a 5 year guarantee and only costs about £25.00 !! The only difference is, it doesn't have a switch off point.

Oh, and northernmonkeyjones, I have known a regulator fail within 4 weeks of a pdi. A pdi is not a warranty, however! (I have also known fridge elements blow within two weeks of a pdi! You cannot legislate for these things. Some customers want blown bulbs replacing several months after the pdi.).

Post #221311 6th Nov 2013 10:45pm
northernmonkeyjones

I understand that Thumbs Up was just a bit of a pain in the Censored . There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #221489 7th Nov 2013 5:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>