Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Engine oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oldcro

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey
Engine oil

I have a 2012 Westminster TDV8 4.4 litre and wondered if using Mobil Super 3000 X1 5w-40 oil would be alright.I'm concerned as this oil does not conform in any way to that mentioned in the handbook (C1 SAE 5W-30 WSS-M2C934-B). Would using the Mobil oil have any long term effects or void my warranty?

I've read some horror stories about not using a low SAPS oil and the effects on the DPF so I am seeking advice from the more knowledgeably members here.

Post #192793 8th Jun 2013 9:42pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Confused.... Why would you consider using an oil that "did not conform in any way" ? Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #192818 9th Jun 2013 12:03am
Joe90

England 

Mobil do a 5W-30

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6362-mobil-1-e...e-oil.aspx .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #192820 9th Jun 2013 12:27am
oldcro

Contraband, I would never consider using any oil which does not conform in any way, which is why I posted this thread. I had the first service recently carried out by a large Land Rover dealership who did exactly that though and are now ignoring my requests to rectify their mistake.

Joe90, Mobil do produce an oil which almost meets the spec WSS-M2C934-B but it is a C2 oil not C1 meaning it has a higher Ash content than specified.

Interestingly Mobil specify that their Mobil Super 3000 X1 5w-40 ( spec should be 5w-30) is for use in engines WITHOUT DPF's which my Westminster has.

A visit to the dealership to sort it out would be the obvious answer but for one problem, I want them to replace the oil used with the correct oil at no expense to myself. Such a visit would involve a minimum of 38 hours away from home and cost me about £500, and I don't see why I should be out of pocket when the error is all their fault.

Post #192896 9th Jun 2013 2:42pm
robjp

Wales 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

If you can show, beyond reasonable doubt, that they have failed to use the correct engine oil, putting any warranty you may have at risk, or putting your property at risk of damage or early failure, then write to them enclosing a copy of your proof. Inform them that it is their responsibility to carry out their work diligently and competently, and that your documentation shows that they have been grossly negligent. Explain that distances, ferries, hotels, make it unreasonable and expensive for you to travel back for them to rectify their own screwup, and ask them to come up with a solution 'acceptable to yourself'. Send it to their MD/Dealer Principal by recorded post, so that they can't deny receipt.
Finally, insist on warranty extensions for engine and turbo, to allow for any damage that using the incorrect oil may have inflicted that could take some time to show up.
Small Claims Court is very different in Scotland, so I really can't say what your next steps should be. I'd suggest Liam (LR Customer Services Rep on here), or as he is away at present if you PM his account someone will pick up a message. Either that or contact LR customer services by phone directly.

Of course, they may be able to show that LR have authorised the oil used as an alternative. In which case you are on a hiding to nothing

Post #192907 9th Jun 2013 4:35pm
oldcro

Thanks robjp for such excellent advice, I think I'll start by phoning LR customer services and see what they say first. I really do not want to go to court so that will be a last resort.

I hope this does not result in me (an OAP) taking on a multi £million car dealership company but if needs be I will.

Post #192915 9th Jun 2013 4:58pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Thumbs Up got you....
You could always ask them to supply the correct oil and pay for a local garage to replace the oil ?
An oil change is not rocket science, even on a FFRR.
Hope you get it resolved.

Ps... Phone Mobil customer services and ask their opinion... The oil might cause no damage in the short term.
I recently had a mobil 1 question and found them very helpful. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #192916 9th Jun 2013 5:04pm
wslr

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Atacama Sand

The Ford spec Castrol Edge 5w30 is the one the dealers would/should be using in this case as it has the 934 spec for the DPF vehicles.

I know people say oil is oil, but they are different. Putting VAG spec Castrol or GM spec Castrol in a Ford engine won't cause a massive short term issue, but longer term it could. Different engines have different characteristics. For example, a certain powertrain unit may be more acidic or produce more sludge than another one, so each oil is specific so that the additives can neutralise the extra acid or limit the sludge buildup between service periods.

Why fill the engine with anything but the recommended oil?

Post #192932 9th Jun 2013 6:10pm
oldcro

A good description of why using the correct oil prolongs the life of your DPF. If you have had your engine oil changed by a dealer ask what oil they put in and if not the correct spec oil, request an oil and filter change to the correct oil be done asap at their expense. Any problems contact Landrover Customer Services and tell them.

My particular problem is in the process of being rectified after much hassle, Landrover by the way have been very helpful and concerned so any more reports of dealers not using the correct spec oil will help others in the future.

Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs)

Low SAPS oils are specifically designed to be low in Sulphated Ash
DPFs – How do they work?
Many modern vehicles are now fitted with exhaust systems that minimise the emissions of the vehicles – this helps reduce the impact on the environment of running these vehicles – a key objective for vehicle manufacturers.
All internal combustion engines burn some level of oil by design – even the most modern. Inside a DPF is a ‘mesh’ like structure, which acts like a ‘net’, capturing the harmful soot particles produced by a diesel engine that would otherwise be emitted into the environment. As these ‘nets’ become full the DPF must clean itself out in order to continue working properly – a process known as ‘regeneration’. The exhaust system burns off the soot particles so that while there is still some waste, it is only a fraction of what it would otherwise be.
In order for this ‘regeneration’ to occur the exhaust needs to heat up considerably. This is typically achieved through motorway type driving although some vehicles have the capacity to force the exhaust system to get hot without such driving by adjusting the injection timing via the engine management system.
You must get the right engine oil
It’s not just about how you drive the car that affects the DPF though. Another key issue to be aware of is getting the right oil for cars with Diesel Particulate Filters. All internal combustion engines, even the most modern, still burn some oil – one reason why 1 in 3 vehicles in the UK has a low oil!
Low SAPS oils
When the oil burns in an engine, naturally it emits some gas but some of these gases could be harmful to a DPF. Low SAPS oils are specifically designed to be low in Sulphated Ash – a by-product of combustion that can cause the ‘mesh’ structure in a DPF to become irreversibly blocked. Such oils that are not low in Phosphorus and Sulphur can also have a significant, detrimental effect on Catalytic Converters – so the issue of getting the right engine oil is relevant to petrol and diesel vehicles alike.
How to find a Low SAPS oil
One way to identify a Low SAPs oil is to look for an ACEA ‘C’ classification – C1, C2, C3 or C4 (It doesn’t necessarily follow that C1, is better or worst than C2, C3 or C4 – they are just different). ACEA (The European Automobile Manufacturers Association) sets standards for engine oils in Europe and its specification for Low SAPS oils begins with a ‘C’. However, most vehicle manufacturers have their own specifications for Low SAPS oils which can make the job of identifying the right oil for your vehicle quite complicated.

Post #196755 29th Jun 2013 1:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1