Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > thinking about caravaning - towing / tow bar requirements?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wedgel322

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
thinking about caravaning - towing / tow bar requirements?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a touring caravan for holidays. We've got 2 young children 3 year old and a 10 week old so I'm thinking caravanning might be a good option. Its what my mum and dad did when I was young and I always enjoyed it.
I know a few members on here have caravans and I am hoping you might be able to advise me what I need. I know I need a towbar obviously and the electrics but can I just ring a mobile towbar fitting place up or would you advise against this? Should I go down the proper range rover tow bar and electrics route so I have no electric gremlins? What's your experiences?
Also If anyone has any idea on costs of getting the car kitted out to pull a caravan along with a list of what I should be thinking about.
Any help much appreciated. Thinking of a getting a cheapish older starter van 3/4 berth with a weight of approx 1000kg. If we all enjoy it as a family we might get something a bit newer next year. Distances towing would be from Leeds / Bradford area all over UK mainly to Cornwall. 2003 Range Rover HSE 3.0 TD6
Java Black, Cream Leather Heated seats all round, Sat Nav, Rear TV's.
2013 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Black, black and piano black. Rear entertainment system. 22 inch turbines

Post #194127 14th Jun 2013 12:08pm
Andy3681

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue

Best thing you can do the kids will love it. I have just finished vanning as kids moved on a bit but I dont regret anything about it. a top tip join the national trust to the kid friendly events ar very good. And one or both of the clubs.
Yes you need a tow bar the FF electrics are quite involved if you want it intergrating properly.
( Stops suspension lowering , turns off parking sensors, blown bulb detection etc)
As for vans dealers are expensive private sale more for your money. family friendly layouts are beds front and back kitchen toilet in the middle also lots with fixed bunks which kids love this does mean a small shower/toilet ok if you use site facilities.
End bathroom side dinette gives a bigger bathroom better for small farm sites with limited facilities.
Look out for delaminated floors damp and make sure everything works.
Buying private should get you the water carriers and maybe an awaning dealers can take these out and then charge you for them

Have fun
Thumbs Up Mine was a blue one! Smile

Post #194130 14th Jun 2013 12:22pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Westfalia towbar. Google is your friend. They make the genuine Land Rover parts. They can be fixed or removable depending on your needs. I used the fixed one as I could then also have my bike rack on at the same time.

Genuine electrics are not a fortune. Plug & play.

What you need for towing a caravan, not a lot really but:
Towing mirrors. Milenco Aero 2's are what I have.
Decent jack - most caravans have nothing or a really cheap scissor jack. The RR jack is made of edam cheese. You want a 2t hydraulic trolley jack ideally, 30 quid from a factors in a moulded case, that kind of thing.
Decent wheel brace & socket. I always check van wheel nuts before a journey.
Good breakdown cover which includes caravan recovery. Most don't. I use the Caravan Club one.

Not a lot else really. It's a fine tow car.

Cheers

Dom

Post #194131 14th Jun 2013 12:23pm
wedgel322

Thank you for your advice. I am starting to get some idea and get the prices together. Just been speaking to a local caravan dealer and they do have a few in with the awnings left in so off for a look over the week end to get some more ideas. 2003 Range Rover HSE 3.0 TD6

Post #194133 14th Jun 2013 12:30pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I got a Towsure towbar and the genuine electrics and did all the work myself Smile

Strong enough to pull my Compass Rallye 635 around the place and MPG didnt suffer too much unless on a hill!

Private is the way to go but also look at the gearbox upgrade unit that is on offer for TD6 owners as it will help with towing as below 50 the td6 tends to let the clutches or TC slip a little and then fully lock up which is annoying!

Tip for towing. Park up the unit and raise suspension to offroad height. Drop the dolly wheel to take the strain and then get back in the car and drop to normal ride height and drive her off and adjust the height as needed. I got a 12v Cordless drill and long extension bar to fit in i for pumping each corner up and down with ease Smile Oh and a block of wood for under each leg helps as well as a level Smile

Oh and if you passed your test after 97' you need to sit a trailer test to tow anything caravan like with the FF Sad FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #194143 14th Jun 2013 1:07pm
wedgel322

I was looking what I can tow on the .gov website as I passed my test in 2001. I understood it as I can go up to 4250kg (car and caravan total weight). Car stands at GW 3050KG and the caravans I've been looking at are between 850Kg and 1100KG so it does leave a little for packing etc. I was talking to a caravan trade dealer yesterday and he said that would be OK.

If I get a caravan weighing any more that would put me over the total combined 4250KG then I would need to take the extra test. 2003 Range Rover HSE 3.0 TD6

Post #194144 14th Jun 2013 1:19pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

for reference,

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving...ou-can-tow ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #194147 14th Jun 2013 1:23pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Be careful with the towcar laws as you can easily fall foul with a ffrr as a tow car.

You can tow an unbrakes trailer upto 750kg so long as the total gross train is less than 4.25 tonnes (car mgw + trailer mgw)

You can tow a braked trailer or caravan weighing over 750kg (pretty much all caravans) of a weight so when added to the mgw of your car doesnt exceed 3500kg and the car weighs more than the trailer, 3500kg is the max permissible weight of the entire outfit. So with a mgw of the rangie being around 3200kg it pretty much leaves you nothing as a towing weight.........

So for a typical outfit of say a mondeo and a bailey pagent at 2000kg (car mgw) 1450kg caravan mtplm= 3450kg therefore fine
For a rangie 3200kg and same caravan at 1450kg = 4650kg not fine and b+e needed.

With a rangie you will need a b + e license to tow any caravan legally. Or a pre 1997 license which permits upto 8250 kg gtw.

Just part exed my 2004 lunar quasar 615 which is ideal for 2 kids or more. If buying from a private seller make sure you take a caravanner with a damp meter to check out the van. This should help you get a good un. Check out different layouts and choose the best for you, the wrong layout can ruin your experience.

At least that how i understand it. Get the license, get the right van. Enjoy it. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Last edited by northernmonkeyjones on 14th Jun 2013 3:49pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #194170 14th Jun 2013 3:35pm
kingpleb

There was a Whole long thread about this on a ford transit forum I think. Basically the police and vosa were never 100% sure when contacted but it came down to the fact that if your outfit ACTUALLY weighed more than the allowed limit when you were pulled you were done for. If the maximum it could take was over the limit you get. Warning not to push it to the limit. Personally I just stick an L plate front and rear and have someone with me who has the suitable licence which is stupid as I often had people that couldn't drive anything but a tiny Korean turd box without a panic attack! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #194172 14th Jun 2013 3:46pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i'd hang right back if i saw a caravan being towed with a 'L' plate on it... Laughing

these rules seem to be in a bit of a grey area.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #194174 14th Jun 2013 3:51pm
kingpleb

That's the idea Stan Wink gives me a nice wide birth!!! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #194177 14th Jun 2013 4:08pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I think the idea is to stop someone with a tiny teeny car towing an enormous van. However they are flawed. Unsure as to how they are being enforced, i know a couple of folks who are towing in breach with sensible outfits, after all you are either competent at towing or not...... The fact you outfit may be over some dreamt up limit seems non sensical when considered in terms of a focus towing a regular van vs a ffrr towing the same and the ffrr requiring the extra part e. the more inherently stable rig will be the ffrr.

But for the sake of a quick test and a few quids its got to be worth being on the right side of the law imho. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #194182 14th Jun 2013 4:35pm
Mark.abersoch

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bonatti Grey

My brother was towing his plant trailer on the M56 with nothing in the trailer and he got pulled.

The copper went past home slowed down and a good look an saw he was younger and pulled him

He had done the test as he'd normally have a digger on it but left it on a job. They are becoming more aware of it

Saying that I need to get mine booked and done! Just need to find a towbar for mine and book the test! 2009 TDV8 Vogue SE - Bonatti Grey

Post #194185 14th Jun 2013 4:49pm
kingpleb

As above, of jones are only in Manchester and Dan does the electrics by post which are plug and play Smile

Of you get stuck bob over and I can help out one weekend Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #194186 14th Jun 2013 4:54pm
Saltyfish

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

I bought my towbar off the BAY and fitted myself took appx 2 hours, i also bought the 13pin electrics from the bay half the price of the twin electrics and plug n play. If required you then buy the 13pin to twin electrics convertor lead appx £15.
Towbar is fixed and cost appx £100, 13pin electrics appx £80.
As for the type of van thats down to personal taste i have an end island bed.
My breakdown cover is through the caravan and camping club. Thumbs Up 04 Vogue 4.4LPG.
01 Vogue 4.6.
00 Vogue 4.6LPG.
99 Discovery ES 4.0LPG
96 Discovery ES 3.9LPG.

Post #194282 14th Jun 2013 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>