Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > stotguns and clay shooting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DTaylor

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Chawton White
stotguns and clay shooting

new to shotguns, iv always fancied shooting, obviously you can just roll up and use the shotguns on site, but owning your own sounds not too expensive, I hear that a licence is only £50 and you can pick up cheap shotguns these days...

is there anyone on here that could advise on a good first shotgun and anywhere in Lancashire that's any good to shoot?

Post #194189 14th Jun 2013 5:11pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Shotguns are as complicated as cars to choose. I would go to your local gun shop and tell them you are a newbie and they will try you for fit, (length of stock, left or right hand), type of discipline you are likely to be starting with (Sporting perhaps) and then price!

Make of gun is very personal, I have always been happy with Beretta.

Sorry don't know the area for shoots but there will be plenty depending on your fancy.

Before you apply for a certificate you will need to review your home security to see if it meets requirements and invest in an approved locker and have it suitably mounted.

Like cars you will end up with more than one! Very Happy Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760
paul@advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #194192 14th Jun 2013 5:19pm
Katash

England 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Factor in a decent cabinet and possibly insurance (search for BASC) to your calculations - regarding decent starter guns, although I prefer semi-autos I'd advise an 'over/under' for a beginner on clays (semi autos upset too many people at clay shoots but are fantastic for rough shooting) - Look for something cheap and second hand to begin with, you can always upgrade later.

I started at the age of 15 with a cheap <£150 Lanber 28" multi-choke single trigger O/U, it was tatty but I still have it 18 years on.

Post #194193 14th Jun 2013 5:20pm
DTaylor

cheers Steve, what security is a must? (other than a secure box/locker)

Post #194194 14th Jun 2013 5:21pm
Katash

Oh and regarding cabinets, if you only intend on having shotguns and not firearms then there is no requirement for one with a locking ammo safe - shotgun ammo is not required to be under lock and key like rifle ammo is, a simple 'locker' type cabinet will be sufficient, so long as it is Home Office approved (Not a law that is set in stone but easier not to argue about it)

Post #194198 14th Jun 2013 5:28pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

When you get your home visit they will be looking at attitude towards security, ability to lock windows, decent door locks, mounting the box on a solid wall (and out of the way) and of course key security, no good hanging the spares up by the front door!

As Katash says BASC membership will be handy and they can help with any advice and even help with your application if your local force has difficulties in giving a certificate. I also agree with the Semis, I have taken one to a public clay shoot, you have to be very aware of gun safety and you do get a few looks, private clay or rough shoot - agreed, I bought a Beretta A391 chambered for a magnum cartridge, there is a little plus to this shotgun as the chamber for two magnum cartridges will actualy fit three short ones, good for a lousy shot like me! by the time you have emptied the gun the bunnies have died of laughter Mr. Green Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760

Post #194202 14th Jun 2013 5:30pm
Katash

Firearms officers can be funny Censored too, heard first hand from people that the officer sometimes turns up when the license holder is out and says "Oh I only need to see inside the cabinet - could you go get his keys" to the other occupants of the house (friend of mine at a gun club has an 8 year old son who was asked this!)

Instant revocation of license if this happens.

Mine tried to catch me out earlier this week, I sent my firearms license off to have some more land added to it as I picked up a few more permissions and one was a golf course - he phoned me and said he has spoke to the grounds keeper and he has never heard of me, I phoned the guy up and he said nobody has spoken to him about it.

Post #194207 14th Jun 2013 5:37pm
DTaylor

do you have to renew your licence, and can someone turn up whenever they like?

so you can only do it on specific land n your area?

Post #194215 14th Jun 2013 5:43pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Specific land is Part 1 stuff, you just need permission from a land owner to shoot, for a shotgun.

Yes you need to renew and they can turn up anytime although in my first 5 years only 1 visit and they made a call first, depends on your local force. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760

Post #194217 14th Jun 2013 5:47pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Here you go...

http://www.gmp.police.uk/content/section.h...6100424776

and a few more links from my force area

http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/ad...department Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2760

Last edited by Advanced Factors on 14th Jun 2013 5:51pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #194218 14th Jun 2013 5:49pm
Katash

Renewals are every 5 years, 1 license costs £50 be it shotgun or firearm but if you get both at the same time (called coterminous) its only £60

Rumor has it the license fee will double soon as some police chief has been shooting his mouth off about it being a burden to the tax payer.

Shotgun use does not require land approval like firearms do but after a while they 'relax' the conditions and let you approve your own land, a shotgun license approval requires you to give good reason to want to own 1, clay shooting is a valid reason and the police have to prove you will be a risk to yourself or the public if they want to deny you whereas firearms ownership requires you to prove you have a genuine requirement for each and every item on the list, even sound moderators - think of it this way if you only have permission to shoot rabbits on a small patch of land they wont approve you to own a .50 cal whereas you can purchase & own any number of shotguns (within reason) in all different calibers and actions.

Pigeonwatch is a good shooting forum - lots of useful info there.

edit: and regarding random visits, in 18 years I've only been visited at renewal time and that was by prior arrangement, but then to quote a line from the film 'Hot Fuzz' - "everybody and their mums is packin heat round here" so our FL dept is somewhat overworked (last renewal took 10 weeks)

Post #194220 14th Jun 2013 5:51pm
dave699

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Have you tried one of the clay shooting experience type days, they can be had for about £50 per person?
Your original post said you were 'new to shotguns' I was unsure if that meant you'd never tried the sport before?
SWMBO and I went (as her Birthday present) and thoroughly enjoyed the day. We also tried out field Archery in the afternoon which was also great. 
Had it, loved it!
2007 Vogue SE TDV8
Stornoway Grey / Ivory
Climatic Seats, RSE, AFS, Deployable steps, iPod kit.

Post #194234 14th Jun 2013 6:19pm
DTaylor

I am new, never tried, I think I may do a day somewhere in Manchester first... but though you can pick them up for next to nowt. had me interested

Post #194263 14th Jun 2013 8:08pm
dave699

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

http://www.north-east-outdoor-centre.co.uk...rland.html

We went here, I think the Clay shooting to do as a single activity was £35 each all inclusive.
It was a nice relaxed day with friendly instructors.
It's also a nice part of the UK, some great roads.
Albeit a bit of a hike for you, I can recommend this place. 
Had it, loved it!
2007 Vogue SE TDV8
Stornoway Grey / Ivory
Climatic Seats, RSE, AFS, Deployable steps, iPod kit.

Post #194293 14th Jun 2013 9:12pm
robjp

Wales 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

If you're ever by Chester, try North Wales Shooting School (just outside Chester), as a beginner for lessons.
I've also heard good things about Kelbrook Shooting Lodge (lancs), they are supposed to be good for beginners too.

If you want to get your own shotgun, then you will need to apply (£50). If you have been sent to prison previously, or have family/household members with convictions, then they will look at you VERY carefully. If you have ever been sent to prison for 3 years or longer, you are a 'prohibited person', and banned from gun ownership for life.
Applications can take several weeks, or several months. North Wales Police last year were running at 4-6 months for a while, currently about 8-10 weeks.
You'd need to get a proper gun cabinet, which needs to be mounted securely to the fabric of the building, and out of sight of casual visitors. The cabinet will form part of your home visit/interview, which the police will come out to your house for.
If anyone apart from you knows the location of the keys, then you will lose your SGC instantly. The only way round this is if you share a gun cabinet with another person (my wife also has her own SGC, so we can both know where keys the are, and all our shotguns are in the same cabinet)

If you are thinking of 1 gun, go buy a 4-5 gun cabinet. These things have a tendency to get filled up. We have 4 guns between the 2 of us !
When you have your certificate, you can go shopping. You can get cheap guns, or spend thousands. The most expensive we own is a 20 bore Beretta, which cost close on £2k. The cheapest is a little folding .410, which cost £75 ! I've put a moderator on that, and it's great and quiet for around barns when ratting, or for troublesome town foxes that I get asked to catch in live cage traps. 20 yards away you can barely hear it.

Post #194324 14th Jun 2013 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>