Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Air conditioning and a water leak.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
petewild

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Air conditioning and a water leak.

Hi all,
Seeing as summer finally arrived I went on a lovely drive and beacuse it was so warm I naturally had the air con running.
All appeared fine but while parked I noticed a small puddle of water under the car, and after nosing about underneath, there was indeed a slight drip.
Caught some drops in my hand and it was cold water as opposed to the hot I would have expected if it were a coolant leak, seeing as she had been running for at least 2 hours prior to me stopping and seeing the leak, she would have been nicely warmed up !

I managed to get underneath and it appeared to be coming from a rubber pipe, which I assume is an overflow / drain pipe from somewhere / something?

Is this something I should be concerned about or is it a by product from having the aircon on for a good while.

Thanks

Post #197003 30th Jun 2013 5:15pm
MikeG

Netherlands 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

This is normal and comes from your aircon... I even believe there are two pipes where it may come from and indeed it can create a nice puddle of water. I would be more concerned if it would not be dripping which could mean the pipes are blocked with dirt.

You can double check by switching off the aircon and drive around, then park the car and check what happens. With the aircon off there should not be any dripping of water. If it is still dripping then you know it's not the aircon and have to search further but this sounds like the aircon. Mike.

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8, Black, Sand Leather Seats & Sand / Black Interior.
IID Tool from GAP Diagnostics.

Post #197004 30th Jun 2013 5:21pm
petewild

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Mike,

Much obliged.

I did google it after I posted the question and got several hits (albeit from owners of other cars) that pretty much confirmed what you said.

I can rest easy now !

Thanks again
Thumbs Up

Post #197005 30th Jun 2013 5:24pm
MikeG

Netherlands 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Your welcome Thumbs Up

Still relatively new to the forum and not much technical background but did know the answer to this question... Very Happy

Like you said, you can rest easy now and enjoy the rest of the Sunday evening without being concerned about a potentially big issue on the FF. Mike.

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8, Black, Sand Leather Seats & Sand / Black Interior.
IID Tool from GAP Diagnostics.

Post #197006 30th Jun 2013 5:31pm
Bushy513

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Monte Carlo Blue

Exact thing happened to me the other day, as any puddle underneath these cars can be expensive. I crawled underneath to see two rubber/plastic drain off pipes for the air con either side of the transmission. Needless to say the panic was over and I could get back on with enjoying my day. Bushy

2003 RR Vogue Monté Carlo Blue

Post #197065 1st Jul 2013 1:08am
twhincup

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

take a tip from me, DONT put radweld or equivalent in it, you'll ruin your system Embarassed

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic19387.html 2007 3.0L Diesel VW Touareg SE
2003 4.4 LPG, Vogue, Silver

Post #197560 4th Jul 2013 3:52pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

When I'm in the car playing with the Faultmate, the engine and AC are running (temp in our car park is normally mid thirties) and when I get out there is a nice big puddle underneath.

All AC dehydrate the area they cool and the water is removed (unless when the drain pipes block and then your bedroom wall looks like crap Evil or Very Mad ). The phenomenon is quite handy especially in cold areas where the car can fog up. We were driving up north in Sweden some 200+ kms above the arctic circle in a rented VW and I noticed the windows getting steamy inside (outside was about minus 27) so I turned the AC on while keeping the heating going and it dried out the car nicely, clear windows all round. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #197566 4th Jul 2013 4:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1