Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Another defector from the "slim" side
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Another defector from the "slim" side

So, the RRS (2007 cairns blue TDV6) is gone and i'm currently knocking about in a "stop gap" Jag. I'm new to this forum having moved over from the other site.

I've had a few FFRR's in the past and have never really found anything else like it. The RRS was nice. but not a patch on the L322. I found it very car like to drive and nowhere near as luxurious.

I'm looking at spending up to 30k and can't for the life of me decide what to do. The TDV8 is looking favourite. There are few of the earliest 2006 models available for that price and I drove one on the Land rover adventure day and thought it was great.

The other option is a supercharged. They are a bit cheaper used and I may be able to stretch to a 2007. The only killer will be the fuel so I may look at gas converting. Has anyone done that to a supercharged?? Will the conversion work ok??

I've had a converted V8 vogue before and It was fantastic filling up for £30!! (instead of the current £130!!! Censored )

Anyway. Hello all, when I get sorted with the car i'll post some pics. If anyone has something coming up for sale fitting the bill then let me know.

Hop

Post #16152 4th Apr 2010 7:45pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

SC all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs Up

If your worried about fuel costs why buy a FFRR?

Just buy & drive it! Bow down If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #16157 4th Apr 2010 9:03pm
StevieH

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

S/C will take an LPG conversion but you wil need to run a flash lube system on it as apparently the Jag valves need the extra lube...apart from that it will run just fine. Chack the site there is a sticky for LPG.

Post #16166 4th Apr 2010 11:06pm
hoppy_70

I wouldn't say I was "worried" about fuel costs i'm more concerned about the resale value if fuel keeps going up. (probably the same as you were when you bought a TD6!! Laughing )

The SC loses money at alarming rate which is why I would maybe gas convert to try and keep it's value up. I wouldn't keep for longer than six months and would hope to lose nothing/ very little in that time.

The TDV8 keeps it's value however. The downside to that is i will get less car for my cash. Hmmmmmmmmmmm decisions Rolling Eyes

Post #16169 5th Apr 2010 7:16am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't keep for longer than six months Exclamation Rolling Eyes

and would hope to lose nothing/ very little in that time. Rolling with laughter

Lease 1 then

Post #16171 5th Apr 2010 7:34am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

RRV wrote:

If your worried about fuel costs why buy a FFRR?

This comes up every now and again.

My wife and I aren't on bad wages and there's only two of us, with a fair bit of disposable income. When we bought our TD6, diesel was 89.9p a litre. It's now £1.19. A full tank has gone from £90 to £120 in a year. Thats some inflation (30% by my calculations). I fill up twice a month, so thats an extra £60 a month I'm shelling out, which was two-thirds of a tank of fuel last year Shocked . Cost wise, that eats into said disposable income, which I don't like! My wages haven't gone up 30% to cover this, nor I believe has anyone elses (MP's aside).
I wouldn't say I "worry" about the cost of fuel, but I'm very aware of it!

Unless you are a millionaire, I defy anyone on here to say they don't care about the cost of fuel. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #16175 5th Apr 2010 11:53am
Macdaddy

2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

Agree with you Noddy,

I'm aware of how much fuel costs and how much the RR uses and it doesnt make filling up each week any easier to swallow !!

Fortunatly its not an issue at the moment, When it becomes one i'll buy a diesel FFRR lol Thumbs Up TDV8 HST Sport **Current**

4.4 V8 Autobiography and 22" wheels **Gone**

Post #16176 5th Apr 2010 12:18pm
baldylocks

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

[quote="noddy"]

RRV wrote:

My wife and I aren't on bad wages and there's only two of us, with a fair bit of disposable income. When we bought our TD6, diesel was 89.9p a litre. It's now £1.19. A full tank has gone from £90 to £120 in a year.

Out of interest, how many milles does that equate to?

Post #16177 5th Apr 2010 12:59pm
Andy

Around town, I'm getting about 20 to the gallon. On a run, that can rise to about 32. So a full tank around town is returning about 350ish miles. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #16178 5th Apr 2010 2:35pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Sorry to disagree with you Noddy

Couldn't give a Monkeys F Censored k about the cost of petrol ..............

But can understand and appreciate where you are coming from ............. Thumbs Up ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #16179 5th Apr 2010 2:42pm
Andy

Macdaddy wrote:

Fortunately its not an issue at the moment, When it becomes one i'll buy a diesel FFRR lol Thumbs Up

There isn't really much difference as far as I can see, consumption wise. Petrol V8's aren't far behind and are a lot quicker. The next one I buy will be a petrol I think. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #16180 5th Apr 2010 2:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hoppy,

If you plan to only keep the car for 6 months I'd go for a SC and not bother with the LPG conversion. There's little point, it will cost you anything from £2-4K to have done properly, takes a week or two and you will never make your money back, especially after 6 months. You'll just be making it's next owner really happy cos you paid for the work and not them.

Buy a nice clean standard car, put fuel in it, enjoy it. Then in 6 months sell it and move on to your next whim/fancy. I bet you won't lose as much as you'd shell out for the LPG conversion.

Remember, Dealers won't take a converted car in PX, they won't service them either, they can be tricky cars overall.

Read this through:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic119.html Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #16188 5th Apr 2010 4:15pm
hoppy_70

RRUK, wise words indeed. It's probably a good point that the SC will lose it's cost for conversion. I have done a 4.4 vogue before though and made more than the cost of the conversion back when I sold it.

I paid around £1600 for the gas conversion so not as bad as it seems.

I'll have to look at prices for the SC to see if I can justify the extra cash on 12mpg (i'm a little heavy footed!!)

Post #16194 5th Apr 2010 6:00pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

noddy wrote:
Around town, I'm getting about 20 to the gallon. On a run, that can rise to about 32. So a full tank around town is returning about 350ish miles.

Blimey, I nearly always get between 620 and 650 between fillups. Although I do run it rather low so I can get 100 litres in. On the few times I've been in town that has dropped to 580-600.
(late 2005 Td6)

When you drive a Td6... you learn to plod. Wink

Post #16197 5th Apr 2010 6:53pm
baldylocks

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

noddy wrote:
Around town, I'm getting about 20 to the gallon. On a run, that can rise to about 32. So a full tank around town is returning about 350ish miles.

Wow, that's a bit poorer than I was hoping, I'm getting at least that out of a 5.5l V8 Mercedes and I like to "make progress" in it. Is the TDV8 vastly different?

Post #16205 5th Apr 2010 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>