Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Pick Mine Up Tomorrow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doublejay

Pick Mine Up Tomorrow

Well....after much umming and ahhh-ring I pick mine up tomorrow Very Happy MY2005 on an 05, pre-facelift, yet WITH touchscreen nav. Cairns, Two-Tone perforated parchment - TD6 Autobiography on standard 20"s. My first 4x4 having out grown my Boxster S (literally Confused )

I had wanted an 06 - but when I saw the touch screen nav - I thought I HAD got the one with all the extras....however, I don't have a reversing cam and I doubt whether the TV tuner will be digital.

I'm not disappointed because the price was right (from a main Stealer) and it's only done 35k ! Curious to know how this model is referred to....it gets the touchscreen - but not the fullblown 06 ?

Jobs to do :

1. Engine was a little noisy and lifeless - so, extra dampening if possible.

2. Have it chipped. Got my eye on the JE Stage 1 unless anyone knows better ? The problem here is that I've got full 12months stealer warranty - which I wouldn't want to void. Any ideas ??

3. TV tuner to digital (if its not already) and maybe cams.

I probably should have waited for the perfect model to have popped up but I've been looking around for 6 months already!

Anyway - pics to follow all being well.

Post #16366 9th Apr 2010 4:05pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Congratulations,

definitely go JE - they are well worth it and trustworthy - Adam (RRUK) has done an excellent write up regarding them on this board. JE have long established links with LR and my experiences and everyone I know who has dealt with them is positive.

Yes get it remapped - well worth it. But most main agents play a game of overwriting it at every opportunity they get and some ignorant greasy technician's think it is funny!

There is a simple answer - when you drop your vehicle off make it plain to them that it is YOUR vehicle - you have chosen to have it remapped and should they wipe it they will be responsible for the cost of reinstating it - or they don't get their bill paid! Build up a relationship with your mainagent and they will (hopefully) respect you - and you shouldn't have a problem re warranty claims - BUT beware some people have.

There are remaps and dodgy remaps which simply dump fuel and turn up the turbo boost pressures to unacceptable limits. I have heard of TDV8's blowing and exhaust manifolds warping due to remaps... even some of LR's own LR Experience drivers have chipped "private" vehicles - a TDV8 Sporty springs to mind!

there is one London based main agent who used??? to supply new vehicles remapped and routinely mapped their demo vehicles - they know who they are, as did LR. There is now a no negotiation strict policy on remapping - if you get found out your warranty is goosed - up shot is if you want to keep your warranty 100% guaranteed don't do it or make sure you are on very friendly terms Cool Sheep Shocked

the other thing is a lot of mainagents have members who are either enthusiasts or patrol this and other LR/RR forums - privacy is king if you get my drift Wink either reveal nothing or stay annon if you do!

Last edited by Vogue on 9th Apr 2010 5:17pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #16370 9th Apr 2010 5:08pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

The TD6 is a little noisy and lifeless! Laughing Worth checking under the bonnet of late model TD6's to see if the noise dampening material was thicker.

Can't go wrong with JE, (But I am enforced to say there are others out there). It made a huge differencee to mine, I had it done while the car was under warranty, what the dealer doesn't know doesn't hurt them or you. You may have to tell your insurance, but that's a personal decision. I kept quiet. Cool

Not heard of anyone on here retro-fitting the rear camera but no reason why it couldn't be as you have the fibre optic system. Could just be a pain and a little pricey. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #16371 9th Apr 2010 5:12pm
elbitrevnoc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

Congratulations on making the leap JJ!

To reassure you on your choice, I can say that I've had my '56 reg TD6 Vogue SE for three weeks now and it's still growing on me day by day. The only trouble I can forsee is that I may be constantly eyeing the next little treat for myself - so far I've already upgraded the side grills to match the supercharged-style front and I've just picked the car back up today from having the rear windows tinted (Midnight - looks good!). Remap is next on my shopping list..

Having said that, don't let some negative vibes about the TD6 unit worry you too much. Sure it's a bit gruff when cold and it's no rocket, but, once youre going it tonks along in style and just sneaks over 30mpg on a run. Thumbs Up

Enjoy!

Post #16381 9th Apr 2010 6:15pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

I was looking for quite some time to get my ideal colour combo: Cairns Blue with Parchment Leather. Smile

I thought about mapping my Td6, but it does what I need. Averaging 30(ish)mpg all the time I'm no racing driver anyway, plodding along as I do. It's a mile muncher. So I decided not to map.
It may be slow to TDV8 users, but as I haven't had one I don't miss the power hike on that engine.

If you think it's noisy, just drive something else occasionally, such as an old Land Rover diesel.
That makes you realise the Td6 is fine. Very Happy

Good choice of vehicle and colour. Thumbs Up

Post #16385 9th Apr 2010 6:25pm
doublejay

thanks for the positive vibes ! Thumbs Up

I guess there are plenty of toys and joys to keep me going.....I can give it 6-9 months to shake out any gremlins and maybe consider a remap at the end of the year. Something to look forward to.

JJ

Post #16397 9th Apr 2010 10:04pm
doublejay

Wow.

Notched up my first 200 miles in the saddle today, from Birmingham down to hay-on-wye and round and abouts. What a very impressive piece of kit. In every way. And to think I only liked it for the looks....

Bonus finds : Remote Park heater ! VentureCam ! Heated Rears !

Misses : only analogue tuner. compass not available ??

You can tell the car has breeding - even the sat nav lady is posh ! Never suggests anything vulgar like U turn - just quietly re plans things.

Even though the roads were twisty and the weather set fair - i didn't miss the Boxster at all. There's just so much more to this.

Post #16434 10th Apr 2010 9:10pm
hughjayteens

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

I have just made the leap from sporty car to TD6 (similar transition spec car to you) and am loving it too! I went to a dealer to look at a 335i and the FFRR was parked up next to it and I just fell in love. Hadn't considered one up until that point but am also very impressed by the car as a whole.

Would be interested to hear how you get on with fitting a reverse camera and changing the tuner to a digital one.

Post #16492 12th Apr 2010 2:54pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

doublejay wrote:
Wow.

Notched up my first 200 miles in the saddle today, from Birmingham down to hay-on-wye and round and abouts. What a very impressive piece of kit. In every way. And to think I only liked it for the looks....

Bonus finds : Remote Park heater ! VentureCam ! Heated Rears !

Misses : only analogue tuner. compass not available ??

You can tell the car has breeding - even the sat nav lady is posh ! Never suggests anything vulgar like U turn - just quietly re plans things.

Even though the roads were twisty and the weather set fair - i didn't miss the Boxster at all. There's just so much more to this.

If you want the compass in the off road information screen thingy you need to go to off road sat nav by pressing the navigation button twice I think and then turning the compass on then it will work on the other screen, 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #16498 12th Apr 2010 4:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1