Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Letters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy3681

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue
Letters

Sorry I know this has been covered before and I have been going over the old threads but it's getting confusing Question Question
My tailgate is being repaired ( the standard factory fitted lower corner rust) and the letters on the tailgate have had to come off. So do I stick them back on or change to Titanium? yes
so do I do the bonnet while at it? ( my bonnet letters look high anyway) yes
so do I do "VOGUE"? yes but dont know which one to order off of the bay of E
I understand the tailgate letters are fitted straight and the bonnet's a curved "banana" and different templates are required.

BUT!! whats this about the bonnet letters being curved top to bottom to follow shape of bonnet? Is it a problem?
I see some advertise them as being curved and if they need to be do they look wrong or S**t if you use the flat ones??

Help
thanks gents and ladies Mine was a blue one! Smile

Post #200475 24th Jul 2013 11:33am
plumajp

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

i also want to do this and i will need to change the tailgate and bonnet letters along with the vogue letter and the number plate plinth.

I dont want chrome but other sellers on fleebay advertise some as being silver? is this titanium or plain silver?

As I understand the tailgate letters are flat and bonnet ones have to be curved if you want them to go in the original position. if you go for flat letters on the bonnet you need to lower where the letters go.

There was a good picture to show the curve of the front letters on the powerfulluk website but i havent got it to hand.

there is a kit out there for £70 iirc

Post #200499 24th Jul 2013 12:31pm
plumajp

http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/range-r...wipes.html

Post #200501 24th Jul 2013 12:34pm
Simusmaximus

Wales 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I have recently changed all my lettering from original brunel grey to titanium silver. I was cracking on with the job, had the bonnet template in place ready to apply my first new letter. As I offered the letter to the bonnet, it just didn't look right. It was then that I realised that I had opened the box for the rears. I was lucky that I hadn't pressed the letter home fully. The fronts are definitely curved to follow the contour of the bonnet. I got my new stuff from powerful uk, looks much nicer now. "I got him boxed in like a turtle's pecker!".

Post #200520 24th Jul 2013 1:51pm
plumajp

Could you put some pictures of your letters up, I would like to see the titanium up close

Post #200522 24th Jul 2013 1:54pm
edward.barry

Ireland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Hi Folks, in hospital waiting for an op tomorrow, surfing the iPad and deciding about all the work I want to carry out of the RR when I get home. Rear letters on the tailgate need a refresh so wil probably go with the titanium, any trick to taking the old letters off without damaging paint finish etc? Regards Ed 0-60 takes 5 and a half seconds...and about 17 gallons of fuel....

Current fleet
2005 RR td6
1997 300 Discovery
2005 Subaru Legacy Outback (the wife's)
1981 2.5 Opel Commodore

Post #200523 24th Jul 2013 1:57pm
plumajp

I always pour warm water 5 mins off the boil over the letters and then slide a bit of fishing line down the back of the letter to slice the sponge sticky stuff.

Then I use a drill attachment like the ones powerfully sell to remove the crud that's stuck to the panel.

Post #200532 24th Jul 2013 2:14pm
Simusmaximus

edward.barry wrote:
Hi Folks, in hospital waiting for an op tomorrow, surfing the iPad and deciding about all the work I want to carry out of the RR when I get home. Rear letters on the tailgate need a refresh so wil probably go with the titanium, any trick to taking the old letters off without damaging paint finish etc? Regards Ed

If you purchase the kit from powerful uk, it comes with the plastic scraper to get the old letters off and a caramel wheel, which you attach to a drill to get the old sticky stuff off. There is a vid on youtube by powerful uk on how to do this. It shows you how to use the supplied template over the existing letters first before you remove them, marking it with electrical tape, so you know where the letters go back once old ones are removed. After marking template position, take it off, remove old letters and sticky residue with caramel wheel, then use something like Tcut to clean the area and use supplied alcohol wipes to remove traces of grease. Replace template to your marks and secure in place. Then peel off backing a on new letters individually, and press them firmly into the corresponding holes in the template. Once all new letters on, remove template and clean off any remaining residue with Tcut again and yr done!. "I got him boxed in like a turtle's pecker!".

Post #200536 24th Jul 2013 2:22pm
Simusmaximus

plumajp wrote:
Could you put some pictures of your letters up, I would like to see the titanium up close

Is it possible to post pics straight into a thread?. How do Ido it?. "I got him boxed in like a turtle's pecker!".

Post #200542 24th Jul 2013 2:36pm
Simusmaximus

I have posted a couple of pics in the last added section of the forum gallery for you to see, one is of bonnet and there is another cropped image of tailgate.

Thanks. "I got him boxed in like a turtle's pecker!".

Post #200548 24th Jul 2013 2:49pm
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

I bought my chrome lettering as a full kit from Powerful UK.

I used my wife's hairdryer to soften up the letters and then used pieces of dental floss in a sawing motion to remove the letters and adhesive from the bonnet and tailgate. I did not use the caramel wheel to remove what adhesive was left but used some autoglym tar remover on a microfibre cloth. I only used the plastic scraper for the stubborn bits.

The bonnet lettering is slightly curved; the tailgate lettering is flat. Each set of letters had it's own template. I found it easier to do than I thought.

I also bought the chrome door handle covers from Powerful UK. I choose the more expensive metal based covers rather than the the plastic based ones for durability. It's an easy job to do, just have a practise line up first before removing the plastic film from the adhesive pads and pressing the covers home.

As you may know already there are tutorial videos on their website for the lettering and door handle covers.
Chris

Post #200559 24th Jul 2013 4:08pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I didn't want to spend a hundred quid or more on getting new letters so I just took the Brunel ones off, sprayed 'em and stuck 'em back on.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I am of course a cheapskate, this cost me nothing other than time, I had some silver in a rattle can and some acrylic clear to spray on top.
I didn't have to worry about straight or curved backs, banana templates or anything else as these were OEM and I stuck 'em back where they came from Thumbs Up Geoff

Post #200565 24th Jul 2013 4:24pm
edward.barry

Ireland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Thanks lads, great site for good practical advice. Regards Ed 0-60 takes 5 and a half seconds...and about 17 gallons of fuel....

Current fleet
2005 RR td6
1997 300 Discovery
2005 Subaru Legacy Outback (the wife's)
1981 2.5 Opel Commodore

Post #200638 24th Jul 2013 8:46pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

What did you use to stick them back on with please?

Thanks

Post #200840 25th Jul 2013 8:41pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Just double sided tape, fairly decent stuff from 3M with a slight foam core. I have to confess it was a bit of a fiddly job. Geoff

Post #200849 25th Jul 2013 9:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>