Home > Technical (L322) > tdv8 metallic whine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

agreed , nobody wants to spend loads on repairs but you don't have to get the garage to do the job only to find out what the problem is.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #129175 3rd Jul 2012 12:09pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 

allisong wrote:
Most of those issues can be easily fixed by loading updated calibration software (via IDS) for the TCM and ECM (transmission control module and engine control module)

Are these dealer only software updates?

Post #129184 3rd Jul 2012 12:39pm
Olders

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The gearbox one is, I believe, only available from a dealer, so I assume the ECM is as well.

Allisong? -----------------------------------------------
2016MY FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Loire Blue
2007MY FFRR 3.6 TDV8 Vogue SE Tonga Green

Post #129185 3rd Jul 2012 1:05pm
zippy69

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

I also have hard acceleration whine but only seems to be in D and not S, any clues ?

Post #129206 3rd Jul 2012 2:54pm
Olders

I also, sometimes, get a whine under HARD acceleration, however, as far as I am aware, it is only when accelerating hard out of a corner and there is still some steering angle dialled in. It has always been there and thus I assumed it was normal. Perhaps not? -----------------------------------------------

Post #129207 3rd Jul 2012 3:00pm
Olders

For the sake of clarity, this is not the noise I have been talking about earlier in this topic.

I believe the acceleration whine happens in S and D, although I am not 100% certain of this. -----------------------------------------------

Post #129208 3rd Jul 2012 3:03pm
PaulB

2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Is the vibration most apparent between 30 to 50mph?

Post #129210 3rd Jul 2012 3:34pm
Olders

It is rev related rather than speed.

It is felt at any speed, in any gear, when under medium or greater throttle input between 1900 and 2400 revs. -----------------------------------------------

Post #129221 3rd Jul 2012 4:16pm
zippy69

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

I was talking about the first noise atc spoke about which I first encountered yesterday , I have drove about all of today in S and now no longer hear it in D when I tried again , so god knows what it is , will be keeping an ear open from now on to make sure, it was most noticeable coming off circles and accelerating away coming in about 2000 revs right up to gearchange, but as I say it has dissappeared now ????

Post #129259 3rd Jul 2012 7:52pm
Benfelrr

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

Not wanting to cause heart attacks etc. I had a deep rumble / drone as you suggest and it was a failing diff, my car is also a 2007 TDV8. Hopefully yours is different and something else. Not sure how easy it is on these to do as I got a dealer to look at mine but if you are able to have a check of the front diff oil see if it smells burnt , odd or has swarf in it. If not that doesnt help much but if it does, it might point to a diff issue. Good luck either way.

Post #147795 24th Oct 2012 12:16pm
Olders

Benfelrr - was your noise right across the rev band or just within certain rev limits?

I did change the diff oil when I changed the gearbox oil about 15000 miles ago. (It was making the noise I describe before the change). The stuff that came out looked in pretty good condition to be honest. -----------------------------------------------

Post #147816 24th Oct 2012 1:58pm
Benfelrr

Sorry for the delay, have been away, yeah the noise was across the rev range, once the car was moving at any speed the rumble appeared and stayed there, was more pronounced under heavy acceleration. I did read a post on here at the time where someone else had said they were told they had a failing diff and the owner did not believe this and took the car to another dealer who diagnosed faulty transfer box. Good luck getting it sorted, at least diff sounding hopeful.

Post #148749 29th Oct 2012 9:31am
Benfelrr

Olders wrote:
For the sake of clarity, this is not the noise I have been talking about earlier in this topic.

I believe the acceleration whine happens in S and D, although I am not 100% certain of this.

Have driven another two tdv8s as well as mine and they all make this wine under hard accleration with bit of turning, so will stick my neck out here and say I guess it must be normal.

Post #148752 29th Oct 2012 9:44am
Halk

Greece 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi there,
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my brother just got a tdv8 2007MY and 100.000 miles on the clock and having the exact same issues as Olders describes:
vibration under all gears at the range of 2200-2500rpm, under acceleration. This vibration can be felt mostly on the floor and gas pedal.
Car just got out from dealer having changed transmission and diff oils.
Anyone solved this problem? Any thoughts?

Post #244392 23rd Feb 2014 11:54am
Olders

Hi there. In sime answer..... No!

I first noticed this at around 60k miles; the car has now done 100k and this noise/vibration has essentially remained exactly the same .... no better / no worse.

I no seem to be throwing up some intermittent fault codes with a couple of injectors and there has been some suggestion that this could be related however I decided to "wait and see" before expensively rebuilding the injectors. Similar situation with a very intermittent fault code with EGR valve on one bank. That was 30k miles ago and still haven't NEEDED to do anything about it, so I am just living with it. Barely notice it now to be honest (it is still there though - I have just got used to it). My view is that one can't really expect perfection on a 100k mile vehicle!

One thing I have noticed is that it is almost or indeed entirely imperceptible from any other position than the driver's seat, so at least it shouldn't be annoying you passengers!

If I was determined to fix it, at any cost, I would start with replacing/rebuilding the injectors, then the potentially faulty EGR valve, then the engine mounts, before finally looking at transmission (torque converter, diffs, transfer box - in that order) although after spending that much money to possibly not trace the problem, I think you would be far better off just selling this vehicle and buying another similar!

One thing I would do though would be to try and drive as many similar age and various mileage examples of the 07MY TDV8 to see if it is the same on all of them or just particular to mine/some of them.

If this has just come from a dealer, what did they say about it? Did they think it was normal? Would be very interested to know.

Finally, if you / your brother are able to find out any more about this, PLEASE let me know / update this thread, as I would love to sort it out if not too pricey!

Hope that was in some way helpful!

Regards.

Olders -----------------------------------------------

Post #244426 23rd Feb 2014 4:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>