Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > proper caravan.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
proper caravan.

Just got back from a lovely weekend at Lincoln Farm Park near witney, nice campsite, couple of tasteful indoor pools with steam rooms, hot tub and sauna.

Got to try out the new caravan properly before heading off to france in a couple of weeks, tows like a dream and i can now fill if full of stuff thanks to a weight plate upgrade from lunar to 1900kg.

There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #201651 30th Jul 2013 10:32pm
ambulancekidd

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

Can I ask how you went about getting the upgrade to your caravans weight plate?
I have a 2010 Sterling Elite Explorer twin axle caravan & whilst we don't tend to have a lot of kit inside the caravan I have got an all wheel drive Powrtouch Evolution motor mover fitted which kinda add's to the weight Shocked
I'd like to have this item taken into the unladen & laden weight of the caravan.

Robert. The reason women's minds are cleaner than a mans mind is that women change their minds more often!
When women say fine a mans in deep doodoo as fine has so many meanings.

Post #201654 30th Jul 2013 10:51pm
northernmonkeyjones

its all based on the MTPLM of your van and the axle weights that are stamped onto the axle crossmember plates.

its not about changing the unladen weight, moreover increasing the maximum weight and therefor the payload, which will include your mover.

As yours is a Sterling van i am assuming that it will have an ALKO chassis. in this case it will likely have a plate similar in style to the one below fitted to the axle or possibly a small oval plate,

Click image to enlarge

when i first asked Lunar they said that the maximum that they could increase the weight to was 1700kg from 1680kg as that was the axle limit........

so I had a look and sent them a photo of the axle plate showing the 950kg axles, which they matched up with their production records and gave me an increase in the MTPLM from 1680kg to 1895kg, the MIRO stayed at 1460kg.it took a bit of pestering and a few emails but they got there in the end. i gave this info and the emails to Robinsons and they ordered the plate for me.

I went after this increase as I too have a mover fitted and it only left me with a measly 150kg of payload to include battery, gas, and all other stuff. Now i have a total payload of 435kg and that leaves me 310kg roughly after i discount for the mover, gas and battery.

I would check the weight plates on the axle of your van as above (could also be small oval plates riveted on) and see what the total weight could be, then get into contact with the Swift group armed with this information and see how far you get. get everything in writing over email and then go to you local dealer to order a replacement caravan weight plate off the manufacturer.

it cost me about £50 an i got a plate and the van's NCC sticker/certificate updated.

bear in mind that you need to pay careful attention to the load rating of the tyres too, as t t/a it is probable that your van will be on 82H car tyres like mine. If the axles are rated the same as mine then the 82H tyres are on their limit though still strictly in spec, when loaded and i opted to have 86 rated tyres fitted at a local Malvern tyres for £45 each.

apart from this no mechanical changes are normally necessary, it all depends on what axles you have, the rest of the chassis is pretty standard for ALKO chassis in the UK. But at the end of the day it comes down to whether swift/sterling will do it.

Pester power seemed to work with lunar, though you may find that you are near the limit of your chassis. IIRC the van you has has a MTPLM of 1830KG, and thus will probably will have 950kg axles, so you may be able to get another 65kg..... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #201657 30th Jul 2013 11:17pm
Mark6r

Scotland 2018 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Montalcino Red

If you go to the local sterling dealer they can order you a weight upgrade plate from swift for £50 going to order one for our sterling Eccles SE trekker van in the next few weeks after seeing how much gear we took for 2 weeks away so any extra payload would be a bonus.
Only found this out after being told we could have had it done for free when we ordered the van as it had not been manufactured at the time of ordering. Gone
67 Nissan navara
67 C220 AMG
12 Tdv6 Discovery 4 HSE
09 TDV8 Westminster
59 BMW 520d touring
56 RRS tdv6 hse
02 td 6 hse

Post #201667 30th Jul 2013 11:52pm
northernmonkeyjones

generally it is fairly easy to do as the ALKO chassis are normaly rated higher than the MTPLM of the van as in the UK manufacturers have an obsession with lightness, they will then offer it as a chargeable service or free at order.

it just pays to have all of the info you need to hand in terms of what is the actual max the chassis will take, you may then find you can get more than the manufacturer will offer as a standard weight upgrade.

I have heard of folks getting twin axle vans upgraded to 1750kg then going and having a look only to find that the axles were infact rated at 1900kg so could have gotten 150kg more safely. its worth spending 5 mins having a look. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #201668 31st Jul 2013 12:00am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Nice outfit!

Post #201686 31st Jul 2013 9:11am
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

We had our new van uprated from 1999kg to 2200kg but that included uprated wheels as well as tyres, it was a free option when we ordered the van but is now £500.

We were back in the factory on our return from France and they weighed the van at 2390kg, weighing every thing when we got home shows a discrepancy of 150kgs so more investigation required.

Ian

Post #201702 31st Jul 2013 10:31am
northernmonkeyjones

Suppose weight is the downside to a slide out.....

Love the idea of an eterniti twin axle with the bunks in the slide out, but will have to wait for a few second hand ones to come on the market as swmbo wont sanction that much for a van Big Cry There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #201866 1st Aug 2013 9:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1