Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > 4.2 S/C to a TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JOKER

Scotland 
4.2 S/C to a TDV8

iS IT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE ENGINE IN A 4.2 S/C TOO A 3.6 TDV8 ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #1074 16th Oct 2008 5:21pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I wouldn't have thought it was worth the hassle.

The old Classic Range Rovers lended themsleves quite nicely to engine conversions but I think the L322 is too complex to do. It wouldn't be economically feasible.

Bored with the Sc already? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1076 17th Oct 2008 10:23am
JOKER

Scotland 

The neighbour has the tdv8 and was telling me he gets 25 mpg whereas the SC on a good day i get about 13 mpg so over the year i am double his fuel costs.

Maybe it is down to ( got the video and the t-shirt scenario with the S/C ) losing interest in it.

Have already stuck chrome acessories on it to try and appeal to me again Yawn

Or maybe add a touch of two tone paint somewhere Exclamation ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #1077 17th Oct 2008 10:43am
RRUK
Site Supporter

If you are only doing half his mileage though then it balances out slightly. Add to that the enjoyment factor of hearing that 4.2 V8 when the Supercharger kicks in, they are an awesomely addictive car to drive.

When I had a TDV8 for the day on loan I was mightily impressed. They really have got to the point where you have to wonder WHY you would buy the petrol over the diesel version. It's a grin-enducingly quick car, makes a great noise and yet still does 25mpg. It ticked all the boxes for me and for sure, I will be looking into the TDV8 when I swap mine in the future.

You also have to look at how old and how many miles you're doing in yours because sure as eggs are eggs, the value is going to drop quicker than most cars on the market today. I looked into getting a FFSC and doing the LPG thing, but it still didn't stack up economically. I needed to be doing 30K+ a year @ 16MPG to pay for itself in less than 2 years.

Also be aware that all the chrome stuff is not to everyone's taste and if you want to sell, could limit your market opportunity.

Keep us posted! Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1078 17th Oct 2008 11:34am
JOKER

Scotland 

Suppose when you take all you have said into consideration, plus my average yearly mileage is 6,500 to 7,000 and the chrome well a hairdryer will get that off, failing which the daughter can have the car Thumbs Up ====================================

Post #1080 17th Oct 2008 12:08pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

trouble is with the Supercharged, when I bought my FFRR last year I was offered £10k immediately off a new FFRR S/C from the main dealer - add onto that the depreciation on the S/C is now in freefall - it now makes the only affordable way to buy and run a s/c is to keep it for a very long time - UNLESS your absoultely loaded and cost is not a consideration...

Post #1081 17th Oct 2008 12:30pm
JOKER

Scotland 

I think you have hit the nail on the head, and because of the depreciation it is slightly hacking me off, when i bought the thing 3 year ago and paid £73k CASH and now to be told all i would get for it is £22k, i think thats where it has kinda stuck in my throat and thought Censored it i am not giving a LR dealership a S/C for that money against a new TDV8.

So maybe my other option is to try another Marque, ie Bentley GT, Aston Martin,

Guess thats what happens when you end up with a Marmite Car (either love it or hate it) ====================================

Post #1082 17th Oct 2008 1:21pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

I paid £59K for a brand new Range Rover Sport Supercharged when they first came out. I did 32K in it over 18 months, I PX'd it and lost £20K.

In hindsight I should either have kept it for 6-8 months max or, kept it till it was 5 years old. Fuel is a problem though. I do high miles too. I've never bought a cheap crap car as a runaround and kept the RR for weekends, in my mind it completely negates the point of having one i.e a car for all seasons and purposes which will protect you in a big crash.

If you were to look at finance alone as a consideration, the best bet really in the LR line up is the Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE. It's got a great spec and 2nd hand they are cheap as chips. They're not as good as a FFRR, we all know that, but at least its not an Audi Q7, BMW X- Censored etc.

If you jump ship to a Bentley etc, you'll just be taking your fuel problem elsewhere, so you may as well stick with the RR and save the money! Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #1083 17th Oct 2008 3:50pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Don't do finance, so for the time being i will just have to pacify myself with the SC as the missus has got her eye on a Bentley for Christmas !!!! women ( only good for one thing ) cleaning alloys. Whistle ====================================

Post #1087 17th Oct 2008 9:29pm
jpr

Quote:
women ( only good for one thing ) cleaning alloys.

even thats debatable ! Thumbs Up

Post #1093 19th Oct 2008 3:47pm
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

Im on my third FFRR now and my second SC (first was unfortunately a duffer!) and dont have a hankering for a TDV8 in the least.

TDV8 is a stonking motor but a bit dull IMO. A car to be driven in rather than to drive?

Id speak with Overfinch if I were you. They can completely transform a standard vehicle and makes every journey an occasion. Thumbs Up '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Post #1232 5th Nov 2008 8:24pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Try a remapped TDV8 it will surprise you Thumbs Up

Each to their own its what keeps things interesting Mr. Green

Post #1233 5th Nov 2008 10:14pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Aeroresh wrote:
Im on my third FFRR now and my second SC (first was unfortunately a duffer!) and dont have a hankering for a TDV8 in the least.

TDV8 is a stonking motor but a bit dull IMO. A car to be driven in rather than to drive?

Id speak with Overfinch if I were you. They can completely transform a standard vehicle and makes every journey an occasion. Thumbs Up

how do you find ride in the 22" tigers to the normal 20"

Post #1235 6th Nov 2008 12:17am
pepper

England 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Java Black

I agree with Ken

The new TD-V8 is awesome bit of kit, my previous FFRR was the BMW 4.4 petrol engine which was a fast machine, but i now own A overfinched TD-V8 re-mapped, and i must say it is the dogs Censored its fast very quite for diesel yet it still purrrrrs.. this my 4th FFRR and in my mind the best they have made so far Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #1266 11th Nov 2008 2:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1