Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Message Centre: Fuel Injection Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RR1234

2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor
Message Centre: Fuel Injection Fault

My 2003 Vogue lost power and cut the other morning with the above message in the display. The RR has 112,000 miles. Does this mean that one or all fuel injectors have gone? Is this a costly repair? Rolling Eyes

Post #214766 6th Oct 2013 9:47pm
adigorn

United Kingdom 

it means intank unit failure (pump)

Post #214778 6th Oct 2013 10:13pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Had a similar problem with my previous TD6. My injecting fault would only occur when my fuel tank was below 1/3. It would pop up on the dash and a few seconds later the engine would die. Funny thing is if you just keep priming the fuel system a couple of times by turning the engine off for a couple of mins and then turning ignition back on it always restarted, I would then hit the nearest garage and fill my tank up. I found that if I kept the tank above 1/3 I never had the problem. Ran my car like this for a month or 2 before I got an intank replacement fuel pump cheaply. I think Land Rover charge just over £300 for the part.

In my case the fault was down to the in tank fuel pump not pushing the fuel from one side of the saddled fuel tank. This became obvious when I took it in to get the pump replaced and they remove 2 access panels under the rear seats carpet, took a look in the tank and would you believe it, the passenger side of the tank was full to the brim while the drivers side of the tank was almost empty.

So if your problem is occurring when your fuel is low then you could be suffering the same issue I did. If it occurs when the fuel tank is over half full then you might be looking at the cheaper option of the secondary fuel pump packing up which is easier to change. This is located under the car just be the rear passenger wheel.

Good luck.

Post #214851 7th Oct 2013 12:58pm
RR1234

2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Thanks for this - I really appreciate. What you say concurs with the garage that took it in on a low loader - they called me today. Confused

Post #215047 7th Oct 2013 9:43pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

get the KY out and get ready for it as the intank balancing pump is not cheap and some places seem to want to charge a fortune for it!

If you can get the old pump unit back as if your happy to donate it i may have a use for it Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #215139 8th Oct 2013 11:04am
Prop

United Kingdom 

When I got mine replaced I had it replaced while I watched. It's not that big a job, it took the guy around 90 minutes in total, but he seemed to have little issue getting the old pump out and the new one in, guess I was lucky that he was good at this type of thing I guess.

It also helped that I brought the car in with the tank containing as little fuel as possible. I imagine if the tank is full or over half full then the job would be harder. But in terms of a long job, sure its longer than the secondary pump but should not be more than 2 hours if the person fitting it is any good, its just rear seat removal, lifting carpet which does require a good amount of trim around bottom of rear doors being unclipped etc, then remove 2 access panels to get to the inside of the fuel tank. Having long arms for the removal and installation of the new pump would definitely come in handy, the guy that done mine must have had long arms as he had my old pump out and the new on in and connected in about 15 minutes. The rest of the 75 minutes was used removing seats and lifting carpets along with refitting them.

I was even lucky enough to get to look inside the tank as I wanted to see if there was any gunge or debris in my tank. surprisingly for a car with 120k miles on the tank was totally spotless. Its very easy to see anything in the tank as it appears to be plastic and the inside is finished in a sliver type of surface finish which shows up even the slightest bit of debris etc.

Post #215158 8th Oct 2013 12:01pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

The inside of the tank should be white and not have any other finish ime Smile

The diddly bits are slotting in the float sensors Sad

Having no baffles makes it good for staying clean as the fuel sloshes about a lot so can't just sit still in any parts Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #215160 8th Oct 2013 12:11pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Well the inside of my tank was definitely a silvery grey type of finish to the inside, maybe there are different tank finishes, but I spent a good couple of minutes looking inside mine with the mechanics LED torch in my hand inside the tank. It still amazed me how pristine and clean it was in there with the light reflecting around inside the tank.

Post #215161 8th Oct 2013 12:23pm
B9er

Northern Ireland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Java Black

I had the lift pump fail on my 06 TD6. I sourced a new pump for £77 quid on a well known auction site from a seller called glowplugman1. its for a BMW diesel and proved to be identical to my original pump. There is a little bit of work in taking the whole plastic sender/pump housing apart, but it is DIY doable and is a lot cheaper than £288 for the whole sender/pump unit. Its been working away for over a year now without problem Cool Should've been old enough to know better...doh!
Current 2010 5.0 SC Autobiography
Previous 2006 TD6 Vogue SE
Previous 1998 P38 4.6 Vogue Autobiography 50 (No 10)

Post #215170 8th Oct 2013 1:21pm
Bushy513

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Monte Carlo Blue

B9er

this one/guy?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-diesel-in-ta...3f2039be99 Bushy

2003 RR Vogue Monté Carlo Blue

Post #215284 8th Oct 2013 8:39pm
B9er

Northern Ireland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Java Black

That is the one Idea Should've been old enough to know better...doh!
Current 2010 5.0 SC Autobiography
Previous 2006 TD6 Vogue SE
Previous 1998 P38 4.6 Vogue Autobiography 50 (No 10)

Post #215305 8th Oct 2013 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1