Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > To claim or not to claim?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand
To claim or not to claim?

The other day got driven into my near-side rear door by a Sheila in a pugg 207. (unsightly yet very effective side rubber strips saved a major ding!!)

Whilst she was at fault, she initially wanted to see what the costs are before claiming on her insurance: Her repair costs are £500 (bent in wing.) mine are £68+ vat for replacement step underpanel (cracked) and £236 for removing scratches and polishing out, touching up etc.

She now says she wants to claim on her insurance. I am amazed as as she is young (and very pretty) and her premiums are going to shoot up next time. However, a non-fault claim will presumably affect my premium too (just got it down to £248 with £200 excess) so the big Q is,

do I claim or let it go and dont follow up?

Post #217901 21st Oct 2013 4:18pm
iancollins

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Causeway Grey

why are you claiming on your policy when it was her fault
it is down to her insurance company to pay for your repairs
surely this should not effect your premiums

Post #217911 21st Oct 2013 5:05pm
shalz

Kenya 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

i think the issue for dolphinboy is that by claiming on the other party's insurancy, he will still have to declare that he was involved in an accident (no-fault) when renewing his insurance, and in my experience, despite dolphinboy having no culpability at all, will find that his insurance premium goes up...

hmmm, i can't make your decision for you, but if you do go ahead and claim, why not get new side rubber strips and steps put in as well... as they are clearly damaged MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #217913 21st Oct 2013 5:15pm
Dolphinboy

Will definitely be claiming on her insurance and NOT mine, and will be having a full repair now, everyting including rear mudguards, etc. but will have to fight for the Excess back and yes, the B*stard insurance company will ping me despite me not being at fault at all.

The stupid thing is that if we settled it ourselves, it would save everyone (including the insurance company and other premium payers) not least her! Anyone got anything I can put to her to show her the errors of her ways??

Post #217915 21st Oct 2013 5:21pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

Take a step back and see if you can sort it out amicably and without the intervention of insurance companies.

Remember, insurance risks do not relate to the real world. Because you are now making a claim, you are perceived to be more likely to make a claim in the future. You make be able to claim all your costs back, but your premium will go up, not to mention hers if she is an inexperienced driver.

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #217920 21st Oct 2013 6:04pm
Contraband

Scotland 

If she claims then you don't have a choice. The insurance company database will have on record that she had an incident with you. At your next renewal you will be asked if you have had any accidents regardless of blame....
Her insurance will be affected for at least the next 3 years, so she has to do the maths on that one.
As for your scratches etc... Get the t-cut oot man!!
Good luck.. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #217921 21st Oct 2013 6:06pm
AMD

United Kingdom 

You've missed the most important thing here....she is very pretty. Take her out for dinner and see if you can't come to some agreement Thumbs Up Current MY2020
Gone: 1 x L405 and 2 x L322's

Post #217922 21st Oct 2013 6:13pm
Dolphinboy

Have tried all the above, except dinner and drinks! have also explained that it will cost her more than £800 in the near future but her father has told her to claim so guess I am stuck.

I reckon they are hoping I will back down and not claim due to the low amount but I can get it all fixed at their cost ( and mine next year!)

Post #217925 21st Oct 2013 7:03pm
Joe90

England 

You may have a problem by not having reported the incident to your insurers "on the day".

Has she accepted responsibility?

In a similar situation, I have not found my premiums to be hit in a no fault claim, even across the five cars I am insured to drive.

All that said, I might invest in the rubber strips you have! .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #217930 21st Oct 2013 7:16pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Dolphinboy wrote:
Will definitely be claiming on her insurance and NOT mine, and will be having a full repair now, everyting including rear mudguards, etc. but will have to fight for the Excess back

You won't - there is no excess as you are claiming on her policy where she (may) have an excess - not your problem if she has or not.

Post #217954 21st Oct 2013 9:16pm
E4 GUY

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

When you declare a previous incident, I'm fairly sure
They go on to ask further details , ie "who was at fault", and "approx value of claim" ??
Surely when you say it was under £300 they might recognise it was a minor claim and not penalise you?
I expect it will depend on the broker and/or underwriter ?

I will ask my mate tomorrow who owns an insurance brokerage ... Alcohol and eBay is never a good mix

2006 4.2 Supercharged, Java Black

Post #217978 21st Oct 2013 11:14pm
leem5

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If she takes full responsibility and her insurance accepts this is the case, it will not effect you next year. I have recently experienced this.

Post #217998 22nd Oct 2013 5:03am
appj62

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Oh yes it will! Previous cars:
S-Max 2007-2013 (only diesel I've had, good car but expensive when diesely bits go wrong, so what's the point?)
Galaxy 2001-2007
Mondeo Estate 1997-2001
Sierra Estate 1993-1997
Uno Turbo 1987 -1993
Fiesta 1984 - 1987
Fiat 127 1982 - 1984

Post #218001 22nd Oct 2013 7:22am
steve9bug

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Go with the likes of Winns no blame no claim i did it for my daughter and she won the case hands down got her car repaired and a hire car while hers was off the road and she never got any increase in premium on the next year. Wink
We called them first after the girl that hit her said later that night it was not her fault and was claiming for loss of earnings and her car.
They sorted it with our insurance we did very little.

But we did find out later the girl that hit the daughter had taken nine times to pass a driving test been on the road 8 month and this was her third car she wrote the other two off Rolling Eyes
BET HER PREMIUM WENT UP THE NEXT TIME Laughing Laughing

Post #218023 22nd Oct 2013 9:30am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

As above,

I have had 2 No fault 100% no blame on me claims in the last 2 years and they haven't affected my premium one iota. One of them almost wrote of my FF due to the cost of some of the panels and labour involved Sad (Quote started off at £13k+!) and both admitted fault there and then and without any further faffing about so claims weren't too bad. that last one above cost them a pretty penny as well as they managed to get the final bill down to around £7k IIRC but everyday they argued over the work that needed doing i was sat in a Nearly new Disco 4 HSE @ £230 p/d! tha soon built up after near 5 weeks in it and i worked out the cost for hire was more than the repair so all in it massively exceed the value of the car but they refused to listen as I gave them an offer straight off the bat when i called them to claim saying they can write it off as long as i retain salvage and received £8K payout (car valued at £12.5k at the time) and knowing on the insurance cat-d market what it would roughly fetch them back if they sold it on and taking into account the cat-d marker it would have had placed on it.

Just get a quote from your local LR bodyshop and hand them a copy of it and say if they want to continue down his road then hey will end up with massively loaded premiums for years! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #218038 22nd Oct 2013 10:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>