Home > General > Potential new owner. Advice & tips please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Potential new owner. Advice & tips please

Hi all

New here but currently own a D3 V8 HSE which is starting to hurt with the high cost of fuel now. Thinking about a FFRR TDV8 to replace it.

I need a decent 4x4 for several reasons, living in the country up an un-made road, we take a TA caravan away regularly, I have dogs and I also enjoy shooting. No green wellies but I suppose I could get a pair if they're really required Wink

Anyway, the main thing which is prompting me to look at changing is fuel consumption, especially when towing the van (circa 12 mpg). The Diesel FFRR looks to be a likely candidate given the ridiculous cost of a new D4 and equally mad prices for used D3's. I've sort of counted out the RR sport since it's only a D3 with less seats really and probably not big enough for what I want.

So, if I were to buy a TDV8 Vogue, what sort of MPG could I reckon on in the real world please? Bearing in mind I drive quite sedately most of the time. I tend to get about 26 motorway, 22 town and 12-14 towing in the petrol D3 and would like a healthy improvement on this if possible, mainly the towing figure. 30 on the motorway (60-70 mph) would be nice and perhaps 25 round towns. Is this achievable?

Also, would it be worth investigating a re-map, again, mostly for the economy rather than power. Currently spending about £600 a month on petrol which I would like to get down if at all possible. Even a 20% saving over my D3 petrol would equate to £120 a month.

Thanks in advance

Dom.

Post #18836 26th May 2010 11:44am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I've sort of counted out the RR sport since it's only a D3 with less seats really and probably not big enough for what I want.

I think you'll fit in around here! Rolling with laughter

Realistically people don't seem to get much more than 25mpg from a TDV8 and you'll only get 30mph on a run if you drive like an OAP.

If it's just for a cost issue, the FFRR will probably save you a little on fuel and lose it on higher depreciation.

Post #18839 26th May 2010 11:52am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

as Fox said, real world MPG for a TDV8 is 25 mpg for mixed "spirited" driving including the odd long run. On a run 30 mpg is possible, depending on how boring you are feeling Cool

oh and towing with a twin axle stock trailer loaded to 3500kg - using the power Cool 15 to 17 mpg

a gay Wink caravan you should get 20ish ok

PPS, welcome aboard Thumbs Up

Post #18840 26th May 2010 11:57am
mzplcg

Thanks for the welcome. Gay caravan indeed Very Happy

It's anything except that. I don't do caravans really but with kids & dogs it makes weekend breaks much easier than guest houses. The tintent was bought new in January, as large as possible with the most toys I could have (Elddis Crusader Superstorm) with huge Isabella awning and that really is as basic as I go. Not wanting to appear a snob, cos I'm really not, but poverty spec is not something I can live with. All up it adds about 2200 kilos if you count the clobber which goes in the boot.

Oh, and I was being kind about the RR Sport Wink "Range Rover" and "Sport" go together about as well as "Scania" and "GTI", plus of course I'm not called Colleen Rooney Rolling with laughter

More seriously, I do drive like a granny a lot of the time since I'm on a mileage allowance for work and I positively refuse to get speeding tickets for works travel. Then there's the school run with kids in the car so no racetrack shenanigans there either. Towing is max 60mph but usually about 54 behind a truck to be honest. I'm quite lazy and can't be bothered with hard driving; I save that for throwing the Gixxer round the track Wink

So, looks like I might be on to a winner then. Out of interest, would the older TD6 be any more frugal? Getting a bit old now but could be an option if I found a really good one.

Oh, nearly forgot. Is there anywhere for a 2nd battery to live in the FF ? Nice to have to keep the Engel powered and thus keep the beer cold Cool

Post #18848 26th May 2010 12:41pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

The TD6 fuel economy is about the same as the TDV8. You just get less power and a cheaper price.

I have a TD6 and do drive like an OAP. 62mph everywhere... I average 30mpg with little mixed driving. Mostly A roads and M way.

I have heard of a twin battery set up, where the second one is in the recess that houses the detachable tow bar.
So yes, that's possible. On non-towbar cars it's a cubby hole with a lid in the boot. It won't intrude into the boot area.

Post #18851 26th May 2010 12:48pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

if you can find a good TD6 at the right money get it and have it chipped by JE, you will not be disappointed, whilst not quite up to TDV8 performance in its chipped guise they do go very well - they are a strong well respected engine unit and in chipped form can push out about 225 bhp depending on who does it.

If you can stretch to a TDV8 then thats fantastic, a JE chipped version will outdrag a 4.2 Supercharged - only just - on a 0-60 Twisted Evil

Post #18854 26th May 2010 12:59pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Hope this helps,

did an 88 mile round trip yesterday, mixed A roads and dual carriageways - what I would call spirited driving - blasts up to 100...left a scummy chav standing in his 3 series BM - seemed to think he could out-gun me on several occasions Rolling with laughter and also a few stop starts. But did stick to 85 / 90 on average on the DC.

26.7 mpg - based upon the trip computer - which IS 100% accurate and checked by calculating total fuel used (brim full to brim full) and total miles travelled between fills. Note not all trip MPG's are accurate some of the other RR's are out by a couple of MPG.

TBH suprised myself considering...

Post #18909 27th May 2010 11:48am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
blasts up to 100

For those of a policing dispoition he means kph. Wink

Post #18910 27th May 2010 11:54am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

absolutely Thumbs Up

Post #18911 27th May 2010 11:56am
mzplcg

Cool as Censored
27 from spirited driving I can certainly live with. Mr. Green

On a more sobering note, I had a chat with a colleague in Qatar last night. Apparently they're almost rioting in the streets because petrol has gone up 2p a litre to nearly 14p/litre Shocked Shocked

He also mentioned that he was impressed with some of the night fires when they burn off all the petrol they can't store Big Cry

Whereas I forked out £104 to fill the D3 this morning. Good for another 300 miles then Big Cry Big Cry

Post #18913 27th May 2010 12:00pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Ive tried all sorts of driving styles on my TDV8 and can't get more than 26, that was a 700 mile run on cruise down through france. Averaging about 24mpg in the UK.

The TD6 when chipped is sprightly enough and you will get more mpg for less money.

Not sure what economy increase you may get from chipping a TDV8.

QUESTION:

I've always wondered, what does Gixxer mean? I know it refers to a bike but where does it come from? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #18915 27th May 2010 1:10pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

There is a price step going from the TD6 to the TDV8.
When I got my TD6 I couldn't find any TDV8s that were less than 12k more. And they were only 6 months newer.

Post #18917 27th May 2010 1:44pm
mzplcg

RRUK wrote:
QUESTION:

I've always wondered, what does Gixxer mean? I know it refers to a bike but where does it come from?

Ah, that's a Suzuki GSXR (Gixxer) which comes in 600, 750 and 1000 CC variants, hence a Gixxer Six or a Gixxer Thou etcetera. Very Happy

Fox wrote:
There is a price step going from the TD6 to the TDV8.
When I got my TD6 I couldn't find any TDV8s that were less than 12k more. And they were only 6 months newer.

Well yes, but the TDV8 is the newer unit and seems more popular so the resale should be correspondingly higher, yes?

Plus I do like the newer interior (although 12k for that is steep) and the terrain response is something I use when off road shooting. Is the gearbox newer as well? 6 speed versus 5?? Wikipedia is doing my pickle in right now. Smile And of course, finding a good low mileage TDV8 is a lot easier too.

But like you say, it's a lot of cash for a facelift.

Dom

Post #18918 27th May 2010 2:25pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I have a 2003 TD6, towed a Bailey Senator Carolina twin axle with family of 5 and all the items you would want for a trip to Lake Como Italy.

Averaged 19mpg over around 800 - 1000 but not hanging around and not limited to 60mph like over in the UK. During the same trip I also had an issue with an injector so that may have lowered the result. This includes crossing the alps and some rather testing Swiss mountain passes.

It's not chipped / remapped and is as standard. From your described driving profile you would be happy enough with the power of the TD6 and I know another user who went from TDV8 Disco to a 2005 TD6 and again was more than satisfied with the power delivered to tow a Swift Twin axle across France with us the year before.

Unless of course you happen to have the money burning a hole in your pocket then the TD6 is a fine choice. Some here will comment that Petrol makes sense over diesel but for us and the milage we do with the caravan diesel is the fuel of choice.

Granny mode with the Air con off I have had 31mpg at 58-65mph motorway trips (120 miles).

23mpg seems to be the average the computer settles at when we aren't on holidays. My daily commute to work is 6 miles each way.

As for the getting long in the tooth.. Its a Landrover.. my TD6 is in bits as the Turbo began to concern me... just had it back and about to go out and commence reassembly... but meanwhile I've been running around in my 20 year old 110 CSW Landrover which is just coming up to midlife Very Happy

If your handy, once you get past all the wires and sensors its just a diesel engine!

Most TD6s will by now have had all the niggles sorted so make sense as a purchase where as I'd be asking myself why a new Rangie was being sold IYSWIM.

Hope that helps.

Post #18925 27th May 2010 3:46pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
TDV8 Disco to a 2005 TD6

I'm not even sure they even do a TDV8 Disco now, never mind 2 years ago? Assume you meant 2.7TDV6? Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #18926 27th May 2010 3:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>