Home > Technical (L322) > Removal of Front Headlight Unit L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mark_001

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Removal of Front Headlight Unit L322

Hello,

I'm attempting to remove the headlight unit to replace a blown bulb from a 2007 L322 TDI. The unit is held in by three fastenings - the two top ones are regular screws; the bottom one is some plastic fastening with an "X" shaped moulding protruding through a retaining ring. The screws are straightforward but can anyone offer advice on how to disengage the plastic fastening. The headlight unit looks expensive so I'd rather no break anything. Strangely the manual makes no reference to this fitting and shows it as a regular screw.

Any advice/war stories appreciated

Thanks

Mark

Post #230642 21st Dec 2013 1:06pm
NormanP

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Aintree Green

I don’t have my 322 anymore so I may be mistaken but from what I recall you don't need to remove the headlight assembly to change the bulb. There is a bulb access cover (circular black plastic cover I think) which you can screw counterclockwise to remove, unclip from electrical connection, put in new bulb. Details should be in the Handbook? Norman

Current LR: L405 Vogue TDV6 (MY 2014) Aintree Green/ Ivory interior
Past LR: L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 (2002); Discovery series1 V8 (1995)

Post #230659 21st Dec 2013 2:52pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

@ Mark,

After removing the 2 screws you refer to, kneel down and get the "X shaped moulding protruding through a retaining ring" within your line of sight. Look to the side of that X and you will see a cheeky wee screw sitting in a recess. It should be identical to the other 2 screws you have removed. Unscrew the lower screw. You might find it still sits in the recess once unscrewed. You can leave it and catch it when it falls out as you slide the headlight unit out or get a pair of tweezers and remove it before you slide out the actual headlight unit.

Now, place a thin cloth or towel onto the top surface of the bumper below the headlight unit so as not to scratch the bumper paint when sliding the light unit over the top of the bumper.

The light will slide over the "x moulding" if you slide your fingers between the edge of the light unit and the scalloped flexible plastic 'curtain', then grabbing the back of the headlight unit in line with the X and you will find that the light unit will glide over the X no trouble at all.

With a hand on each side of the headlight carefully slide the headlight unit forward an inch or so and you will then be able to unplug the light connector before easily sliding the entire unit out and place the unit face down on a towel to avoid scratching the lens.

Thumbs Up

Post #230664 21st Dec 2013 3:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1