Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > L322 TD6 2003 - Power steering pump failing ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mazza7282

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Adriatic Blue
L322 TD6 2003 - Power steering pump failing ?

Hi Guys

Been a while since i've been on here, not because nothing has gone wrong, but because things started to go wrong, then went wrong right when I needed the vehicle so I fell of out love with it for bit.

Essentially I ran out of electricity going to collect a non runner (5 hours away from me !) a new alternator was needed when I got home.

Got myself a new alternator, fitted it, charged up the battery. Drove it around for a day and left it (That was back in November). I parked it up, disconnected the battery and left it.

A few weeks ago I re-connected the battery (waited 5 mins to let everything load up), started her up and she fired into life. Excellent. Driving it around for a week and I've noticed the power steering has started wining.
Now the only thing I've done with the pump since is disconnect it and move it to one side as I removed and refitted the alternator last year.

The only thing I can think of is that its either sheer co-incidence that the 200.000 mile pump has given up or I have some how upset it during the removal and re-fitting process, I didn't loose any fluid when moving it over to one side as I didn't need to disconnect and of the hoses.

What I have done is a power steering fluid change with PAS cold climate fluid stuff (green, same as what came out of it) to see if it made a difference. It did !!! for a day the the power steering started wining again.

Wondering whether this could be down to either a failing pump or a failing puller, as one is significantly cheaper that the other

PAS pump & pulley - £134.95 LR parts off ebay
PAS pump only - £78.95 from LR parts off ebay

Either way, here is a video I have uploaded

https://youtu.be/pn13V6pKeZw

Cheers Current Fleet

FF L322 2.9TD6 SE
BMW e46 330ci Msport
Skoda Superb TDI Mk2, stage 1
Audi A3 8P 2.0 T 4x4, stage 2
Yamaha R6 13S
Triumph Thruxton R
Sold, but not forgotten

WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee V8

Last edited by mazza7282 on 2nd May 2022 7:38pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #630397 2nd May 2022 12:58pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

If I have read the post correctly, car now at 200.000 miles, if there is no air in the system, and no other faults, then with that mileage I would be tempted to bite the bullet and change the complete pump / pulley in one go, then you will have peace of mind.
Try a lubrication spray on the pulley shaft first and see if that makes any difference?

Post #630421 2nd May 2022 6:44pm
mazza7282

Thanks for your reply

Youre probably right to be honest, for the sake of another £50 or so I should just order the whole thing and pop it on.
Was just that ive not long fitted the alternator to it and ive got to undo a lot of what ive revently done to get to the pump, but it is what it is.
Including draining all the PAS fluid ive just recently put in it…..depending on the condition of how it comes out, I might be able to reuse some of it in addition to the small amount i had left from last time.

and yes you are correct the car has done nearly 200.000. Current Fleet

FF L322 2.9TD6 SE
BMW e46 330ci Msport
Yamaha R6 13S
Triumph Thruxton R
Sold, but not forgotten

Post #630444 2nd May 2022 8:15pm
mazza7282

Hi Guys

So I've started to notice the replacement power steering pump is making exactly the same noise as it was before.
Generally worse when hot ! - Give the motor a few high revs then the noise goes away for a few moments, but soon returns.

Steering is smooth, not notchy and generally feels fine. Just aside from this bloomin wine ! When I switched the pump over, I performed a flush before fitting the new pump, the stuff I pumped out was as lime green as the new stuff I put in, looked fine, but I did it anyway (+ it said it on the warranty sticker - PERFORM FLUSH REGARDLESS)

I have since performed another flush as I had some fluid left over, sucked out a litre or so from the PAS res and then sucked some more out the rack itself using a pump on the return hose but it is still doing it.
Steering rack was bled by opening up the res cap, steering side to side multiple time and the levels are all present and correct.

Click image to enlarge

This is the stuff I am using by Westway Lubricants, its green and says the TD6 L322 requires cold climate stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Climate-Flui...4703483491

Am I using the wrong fluid ? Current Fleet

FF L322 2.9TD6 SE
BMW e46 330ci Msport
Yamaha R6 13S
Triumph Thruxton R
Sold, but not forgotten

Post #640317 20th Aug 2022 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top