Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L405 - was hoping this one would be different, how wrong!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
fmb123

United Kingdom 
L405 - was hoping this one would be different, how wrong!

My Father bought a L405 last year, delivered at the end of November. He had been debating this for a while, having had bad experiences with previous RR's. But i said that from what i heard they were much better! now i feel like an idiot....

Week 4 of ownership:
Car refuses to lock - had to be left in London overnight like this!
Same time boot broke and refuses to open (So a least that couldn't be opened by us or an interested passer by!)

Week 5
Car in to the Main dealer for 2 weeks.

Week 7
Car returned. Locking fixed.
Boot will now open but doesn't shut the whole way, you have to assist it with a slam at the end. Trim missing round the boot lip - was told that they broke when re fitting but would order a new bit!
Very occasionally the top tailgate shuts before the bottom!
SatNav thinks the car is in Kent.

This week (week 10)
According to the satnav, the car is now bored of Kent and has been visiting east sussex, and Surrey. We live in Hampshie - so perhaps the satnav is on its way home!
The dashbored turns bright purple and then switches off for 5 minutes most journeys. I had borrowed the car yesterday to drive to a memorial service, and it did this while going through an average speed section. I think there will be an interesting conversation if i got done, as no idea of my speed! (luckily there were other cars to follow)
I heard the car randomly unlock and re lock while driving.

My old man rang up the Main dealer to book it in...... "im sorry we wont have space to see it for 6 weeks" - hes away on holiday next week, so has said he is going to drop it with them today and wants it back by friday next week, or he wants his money back!

If these problems keep appearing are we protected in any way??

Anyone else had similar?

The car has been used light off roading on shoot days and all the front chin spoilerhas been pulled away slightly. thought this was meant to be a land rover!! Can this be removed an left off for good??

Apart from that great Car Rolling Eyes 2017 L405 Range Rover TDV6 Corris Grey
1988 3.5 Range Rover Classic
1993 4.2 Range Rover Classic LSE

Post #238474 31st Jan 2014 1:59pm
MPK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

http://www.englishforum.ch/jokes-funnies/5...sport.html

Post #238489 31st Jan 2014 2:45pm
A1GSS

England 

After 8 weeks of ownership and that much trouble I would be formally rejecting it. No question. Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #238495 31st Jan 2014 2:58pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Apart from company cars I have never been in a position to spend that sort of cash on a brand new car, but if I did...I would deliver it back to them and formally reject it...clearly not fit for purpose...

And disappointing as there is limited L405 owners on here and for lads like me who hope to be looking for a 2nd hand one in years to come I am wanting it to be all conquering !! Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #238496 31st Jan 2014 3:28pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
Hopefully this assists?

Hello

Issues –

1. Car refuses to lock

2. Boot broke and refuses to open

3. Car in to the Main dealer for 2 weeks.

** 2 weeks for what. Was it poor service or something majorly wrong with the car?

4. Boot will now open but doesn't shut the whole way; you have to assist it with a slam at the end. Trim missing round the boot lip - was told that they broke when re fitting but would order a new bit!
Very occasionally the top tailgate shuts before the bottom!

** Poor after sales workmanship?

5. SatNav thinks the car is in Kent etc.

6. The dashboard turns bright purple and then switches off for 5 minutes most journeys.

7. I heard the car randomly unlock and re lock while driving.

8. "I’m sorry we won’t have space to see it for 6 weeks."

**Poor customer focus (has this been escalated to the selling DP. Telephone the dealership and say "I have a complaint and I would like to speak with the Dealer Principal please because the issue is important and I am escalating it to Landrover UK")?

9. Front chin spoiler has been pulled away slightly. Thought this was meant to be a land rover!!

** If you took the car off roading and clipped an alloy wheel damaging it, would you expect the garage to put you a new wheel on it FOC (however, perhaps this maybe down to a design fault and may be fixed under warranty and/ or under good will due to the collective issues you've had).

** Points 1 2 4 5 6 & 7 - linked to one electrical/ obc issue?

** I suppose questions include, has the service department let you down with poor assessment and workmanship or is it ‘just a bad car’?

Sale of Goods Act 1979:
It is helpful to be aware of Sections 14 and 48 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979. The act relates to the fact the consumer has a right to expect quality, fitness for all the purposes supplied, freedom from minor defects and a reasonable expectation for repairs to have been undertaken within a reasonable time without causing significant inconvenience. If these things are not the case with your purchase you can assert non conformity to the contract of sale within the period of six months from the date of purchase.

'Wear and tear':
A seller is not responsible for fair wear and tear, so you cannot claim goods are unsatisfactory just because they've become a bit worn over time. For goods to be unsatisfactory they need to be faulty when you bought them, even if you didn't discover the fault until later. If the goods don't last as long as they should, this suggests that they were faulty from the beginning.

** If a defect is detected within 6 months, it is presumed that the defect existed at the time of sale or delivery, unless the seller can prove otherwise. **

Whilst better to do so, *** you do not have to examine items before buying them. This means that if you haven't spotted something wrong before buying an item, you can still claim it is not of satisfactory quality. This applies even if you would have spotted the defect if you had examined it closely ***. However, if you don't complain quickly, you may have to accept a repair, replacement or partial refund, rather than a full refund.

More information on the S of G.A can be found on this link:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/

This UK Citizens Advice Bureau link is also another helpful source of information on UK Consumer Law:
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/cons...ucts_e.htm

** What does your father want to do (refund or remedy)?

** An email with a receipt is much more instant these days than recorded delivery mail (and is just as formal if done in letter format (Dear Mr/Mrs Smith… Yours sincerely… and from personal experience it is more instant, effective and is accepted practice). An email can also be easily forwarded on to interested parties (e.g after sales/ service manager at the dealership/ they will be measured on customer satisfaction); and all for their immediate information and attention and it’s easily used to 'tick off'/ estimate the cost and time etc of items on the 'to do' list.

There is a LR CRC section on this forum and you could notify them to support you with this:
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/land-rover-...-vf33.html.

However, if not already done, I would draft a detailed 'letter', emailing it to the selling DP, outline the timeline, the unresolved issues and your expectations of LR/the selling dealer and your assertion of rights under the S.O.G.A; and give them 2 working days to respond to you in writing (email) so that you can consider their proposals before deciding on the remedy you wish to pursue.

I would also escalate to/ cc the following as complaints:
E-mail - lradvice@jaguarlandrover.com
Customer Relationship Centre
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Tel: +44 (0)1926 691856
Fax: +44 (0)1926691938

Post #238500 31st Jan 2014 3:48pm
fmb123

United Kingdom 

thanks for the message, very helpful.

The chin spoiler was just an extra annoyance. aware that it is not the garages fault, was just suprised there would be such flimsy plastic at the front edge of a 4x4! 2017 L405 Range Rover TDV6 Corris Grey

Post #238502 31st Jan 2014 3:56pm
pld118

I knew you what you were saying re spoiler Thumbs Up

I would be very surprised if you don't get the resolution you want with such a new car and hopefully it will be a happy ending for your father soon.

Service/ After Sales Managers and DP's are keen on customer satisfaction from a reputational perspective so a calm and measured approach as opposed to a rant is a good way to proceed (I always advance email snaglists/ serv/maint work that the car is going in for beforehand and then everyone knows/should know what's being done).

Thumbs Up

Post #238504 31st Jan 2014 4:08pm
fmb123

United Kingdom 

Formal email sent to Dealer Principle.
Phone call within 2 minutes. Sending someone from London to hampshire to pick it up, first thing tomorrow.

This is the sort of service i would expect when you call the service department. but instead you get 'cant see it for 6 weeks'. and waste everyones time escalating to DP.

thanks for the help, and hopefully these were teething problems! if they carry on, we will reject it. 2017 L405 Range Rover TDV6 Corris Grey

Post #238525 31st Jan 2014 4:54pm
pld118

That's a decent start then (you did that quickly!). Thumbs Up

Last edited by pld118 on 1st Feb 2014 10:25am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #238538 31st Jan 2014 5:21pm
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

I get the impression that car was bought at one dealer and asking for rectification at another dealer. Is this the case? Whilst it should not happen it still does unfortunately.

Hope you get to the bottom of the issues quickly. Mine has been a joy so far even though it only has 20k miles on it. The little rubber strip under the front is vulnerable if you drag it along the floor but in off-road suspension mode it's pretty high up. For more extreme off-road the whole cover should be removed otherwise the recovery point is covered. It only takes 1 minute.

Nick 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #238559 31st Jan 2014 6:30pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I have been looking at L405s recently.

The dealers couldn't be less interested. They can sell every car they get. No-one bothers to call me back.

Post #238633 31st Jan 2014 11:55pm
whoami

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Be patient.

As with every JLR product (particularly RR), that will change pretty quickly.

Post #238635 31st Jan 2014 11:56pm
fmb123

United Kingdom 

nick - no same dealer as we bought it from. during the sales process they were unbelievably helpful, but not interested since! 2017 L405 Range Rover TDV6 Corris Grey

Post #238928 2nd Feb 2014 1:04pm
fairwx

2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Luxor

I had mine replaced, but I had support from my dealer as they were equally as dumfounded as me at the problems I was having.

I kickstarted the process by writing to Andrew West at Land Rover directly.

Post #238966 2nd Feb 2014 4:14pm
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

That's a shock. A case of name and shame if they don't get it resolved now the DP is involved? Good luck. 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #239016 2nd Feb 2014 7:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>