Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > I can relate to these!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jayzee

2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black
I can relate to these!

Tools Explained

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads.. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need. Java with Ivory 2006 4.2 Supercharged. 23.5k miles - NOW SOLD!

Post #19888 11th Jun 2010 6:37pm
jayzee

Censored , can't edit my typo on the title! Embarassed Java with Ivory 2006 4.2 Supercharged. 23.5k miles - NOW SOLD!

Post #19889 11th Jun 2010 6:38pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Laughing

Do you win anything if you have a full set?

Post #19890 11th Jun 2010 6:45pm
Turbo Tony

United Kingdom 

I love this, I'd like to copy it and send it on to all my family, but then realise that none of them would get it, as I'm the only one who will even lift a tool! Researching my first Range Rover purchase

Post #19903 11th Jun 2010 9:17pm
jayzee

Turbo Tony wrote:
I love this, I'd like to copy it and send it on to all my family, but then realise that none of them would get it, as I'm the only one who will even lift a tool!

Same with me - Whooooshhhh over their heads.

Love the first one especially - that has so happened to me with things I have painted tucked in the corner Evil or Very Mad Java with Ivory 2006 4.2 Supercharged. 23.5k miles - NOW SOLD!

Post #19929 11th Jun 2010 10:20pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Yep, particularly like.....TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #19930 11th Jun 2010 10:23pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Most amusing. So much so that I thought you might appreciate some translations on the expressions found in Haynes manuals. Please disconnect the battery earth lead before reading Wink

Haynes: Rotate anticlockwise.
Translation: Clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with hammer anticlockwise. You do know which way is anticlockwise, don't you?

Haynes: Should remove easily.
Translation: Will be corroded into place ... clamp with adjustable spanner then beat repeatedly with a hammer.

Haynes: This is a snug fit.
Translation: You will skin your knuckles! ... Clamp with adjustable spanner then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: This is a tight fit.
Translation: Not a hope in hell matey! ... Clamp with adjustable spanner then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: As described in Chapter 7...
Translation: That'll teach you not to read through before you start, now you are looking at scary photos of the inside of a gearbox.

Haynes: Pry...
Translation: Hammer a screwdriver into...

Haynes: Undo...
Translation: Go buy a tin of WD40 (industrial size).

Haynes: Ease ...
Translation: Apply superhuman strength to ...

Haynes: Retain tiny spring...
Translation: "Crikey what was that, it nearly had my eye out"!

Haynes: Press and rotate to remove bulb...
Translation: OK - that's the glass bit off, now fetch some good pliers to dig out the bayonet part and remaining glass shards.

Haynes: Lightly...
Translation: Start off lightly and build up till the veins on your forehead are throbbing then re-check the manual because what you are doing now cannot be considered "lightly".

Haynes: Weekly checks...
Translation: If it isn't broken don't fix it!

Haynes: Routine maintenance...
Translation: If it isn't broken... it's about to be!

Haynes: One spanner rating (simple).
Translation: Your Mum could do this... so how did you manage to botch it up?

Haynes: Two spanner rating.
Translation: Now you may think that you can do this because two is a low, tiny, ikkle number... but you also thought that the wiring diagram was a map of the Tokyo underground (in fact that would have been more use to you).

Haynes: Three spanner rating (intermediate).
Translation: Make sure you won't need your car for a couple of days and that your AA cover includes Home Start.

Haynes: Four spanner rating.
Translation: You are seriously considering this aren't you, you pleb!

Haynes: Five spanner rating (expert).
Translation: OK - but don't expect us to ride in it afterwards!!!
Translation #2: Don't ever carry your loved ones in it again and don't mention it to your insurance company.

Haynes: If not, you can fabricate your own special tool like this...
Translation: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Haynes: Compress...
Translation: Squeeze with all your might, jump up and down on, swear at, throw at the garage wall, then search for it in the dark corner of the garage whilst muttering "******" repeatedly under your breath.

Haynes: Inspect...
Translation: Squint at really hard and pretend you know what you are looking at, then declare in a loud knowing voice to your wife "Yep, as I thought, it's going to need a new one"!

Haynes: Carefully...
Translation: You are about to cut yourself!

Haynes: Retaining nut...
Translation: Yes, that's it, that big spherical blob of rust.

Haynes: Get an assistant...
Translation: Prepare to humiliate yourself in front of someone you know.

Haynes: Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal.
Translation: But you swear in different places.

Haynes: Prise away plastic locating pegs...
Translation: Snap off...

Haynes: Using a suitable drift or pin-punch...
Translation: The biggest nail in your tool box isn't a suitable drift!

Haynes: Everyday toolkit
Translation: Ensure you have an RAC Card & Mobile Phone

Haynes: Apply moderate heat...
Translation: Placing your mouth near it and huffing isn't moderate heat.
Translation #2: Heat up until glowing red, if it still doesn't come undone use a hacksaw.

Haynes: Apply moderate heat...
Translation: Unless you have a blast furnace, don't bother. Clamp with adjustable spanner then beat repeatedly with hammer.

Haynes: Index
Translation: List of all the things in the book bar the thing you want to do!

Haynes: Remove oil filter using an oil filter chain spanner or length of bicycle chain.
Translation: Stick a screwdriver through it and beat handle repeatedly with a hammer.

Haynes: Replace old gasket with a new one.
Translation: I know I've got a tube of Krazy Glue around here somewhere.

Haynes: Grease well before refitting.
Translation: Spend an hour searching for your tub of grease before chancing upon a bottle of washing-up liquid. Wipe some congealed washing up liquid from the dispenser nozzle and use that since it's got a similar texture and will probably get you to Halfords to buy some Castrol grease.

Post #20243 15th Jun 2010 8:49pm
jayzee

mzplcg wrote:
Most amusing. So much so that I thought you might appreciate some translations on the expressions found in Haynes manuals. Please disconnect the battery earth lead before reading Wink

Haynes: Rotate anticlockwise.
You do know which way is anticlockwise, don't you?

Lefty - Loosey
Rightey - tightey

Thumbs Up

Have I got that right? Laughing

Lots of hammering going on there... Java with Ivory 2006 4.2 Supercharged. 23.5k miles - NOW SOLD!

Post #20246 15th Jun 2010 8:58pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Rolling with laughter Jayzee & mzplcg - EXCELLENT, Very Funny! Rolling with laughter

Post #20247 15th Jun 2010 9:02pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

delamo wrote:
Rolling with laughter Jayzee & mzplcg - EXCELLENT, Very Funny! Rolling with laughter

These actually had me crying with laughter Bow down

Top posts guys !!! One of the best ever

As i was crying with laughter a girly asked what i found amusing so i showed her and she looked at me straight faced as if to say what is funny........................

Whooooosh over the head!

Post #20251 15th Jun 2010 9:49pm
Sportex

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #20254 15th Jun 2010 10:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1