Home > Technical (L322) > New Windscreen Time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cliffy

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
New Windscreen Time

Had a stone chip since October but it's now become a nice crack

I'm with a insurer that now charges to repair chips so I wasn't as quick off the mark at 25quid to fix a chip or £70 for a new screen

Anything to be aware of when they do the screen on a vogue?? I'm thinking is b better off taking it to there workshop rather than havin it done on the drive

Any suggestions prior?

Thanks
Neil

Post #244133 21st Feb 2014 9:20pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Not a fitter myself, but work in IT for the parent company of a national windscreen replacement company and have spent some time with the techs out on the road in their Transits.

As you can prob guess, it's a 2 man job, what is normally classed as an "assist". Will have to remove the wiper arms to remove the scuttle. Make sure that is sealed properly when they put it back. It should have a bead of sealant underneath it. Have a look when they remove it.

The bad bit will be when they use the cheese wire to get the old screen out. If it's not been replaced before, it should come out fine. They should obviously put a protector on the car when doing the work.

The painted frame on the car will then have to have all of the old adhesive removed, and then sealed with a black adhesion promoter to protect the car and help the new adhesive take.

A bead of sealant is then run round in as much as a continuous bead as possible. A special "V" nozzle on the applicator is used so it comes out in the profile of a triangle, point facing out wards. This stops the glue going where it shouldn't and squishing out everywhere.

Depending on temperature, they may keep the windscreen and plastic trim in the van with the heater on, as the plastic is less brittle when it's not so cold.

At the end you should check for imperfections in the glass, as it is not unheard of for new screens to not be flat or such like.

They should test the operation of the heating element and rain sensor etc, both before they start and at the end.

I'd be with them when they check at the start in case something isn't working at the end and they say it was not working before.

If you have it done at the workshop, make sure they book enough time, prob between 60 and 90 mins.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Last edited by mjdronfield on 9th Apr 2014 10:20am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #244142 21st Feb 2014 10:24pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

I had mine replaced last year.
I did a fair amount of swatting up before I 'phoned the repairer, and this helped all round.
They appreciated the questions I asked regarding manufacturer of the new screen, the amount of connections to be made, trim to be removed and replaced etc.
Lastly, I said I wanted them to be able to do the best job they could, so took it to their premises and left it for a day.
They did a perfect job - result !

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #244156 22nd Feb 2014 12:23am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Mine is in today to have a third screen fitted Shocked first one was a good fit and all the clips were replaced ,BUT, it had a scratch right in front of the driver in the middle so a week later a new screen was delivered and fitted , this one buzzes over 70 kph so I took it in for remedial attention but no good and I have a load of broken clips so now they have brought some one in to do it again . It appear if you mount the screen a couple of mm to low the trim at the top has too much room and vibrates.
Let wait and see . Evil or Very Mad
Check they replace all the clips on your A pillar trim it's a known place for vibration and also your bottom scuttle can be troublesome . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #244169 22nd Feb 2014 4:44am
Shandonman

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Had new heated one fitted yesterday by Autoglass - very pleased so far. Went for their "budget" screen as a premuim was needed to be paid for a LR one. The make is " Shatterprufe life time guarantee" Time will tell.

Two fitters. They spent time examining the old screen "already been replaced" and pointing out things. Checked the front of the car before starting for scratches/damage etc, a bit like picking up a hire car. Agreed & signed. Several things I noted was they removed wiper arms, fitted seat covers to protect, fitted new exterior A pillar trims. 100 mins, car was clean & tidy on completion & new screen seems perfect.

Out for a trip today so will see ( pun not intended ) 2002 Vogue 4.4 V8
1995 Disco 1 300tdi

Post #244190 22nd Feb 2014 10:45am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

it will certainly be 'clear' if something is wrong..

Mr. Green

Post #244194 22nd Feb 2014 10:51am
mjdronfield

Will it not be clear if it's right, or unclear if it's wrong, or perhaps dirty ?

Maybe I didn't get it ? 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #244198 22nd Feb 2014 11:01am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Can you ask for a genuine LR one?

Post #245361 27th Feb 2014 10:31pm
JW911

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Yes. Competition Act 1998 refers.

The phrase they will pay attention to is "dissimilar trading conditions". 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2007 3.6 TDV8 Vogue - gone!
2003 V8 HSE (LPG) - gone!
2018 F-Pace 25t Portfolio
1974 LR Series III Lightweight FFR
2014 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Post #245370 27th Feb 2014 11:08pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

Yes - I did

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #245380 27th Feb 2014 11:41pm
Glassman

United Kingdom 

mjdronfield wrote:
Poss have to remove the wiper arms to remove the scuttle.

Not "poss", definitely. The wipers should come off without fail.

mjdronfield wrote:
The bad bit will be when they use the cheese wire to get the old screen out. If it's not been replaced before, it should come out fine.

Debatable. Most replaced windscreens will come out easier than the factory fitted ones. This is because an alarming number of windscreen fitters are not fitting them well enough. It's also scary to see that very few fitters are not removing contaminants from the substrate (which are introduced during windscreen manufacture). A crucial part of the glass preparation which you did not mention.

mjdronfield wrote:
The painted frame on the car will then have to have all of the old adhesive removed, and then sealed with a black rust inhibitor to protect the car and help the new adhesive take.

Rust inhibitor? Check the label! It's an adhesion promoter which has its uses. Every polyurethane adhesive system will have a slightly different procedure, but the underpinning factor throughout is to minimise the risk of breaching that painted surface. This will be easier to achieve by using an appropriate cut-out wire; a chisel to cut back the old PUR (and not a knife!) and having the right skills goes without saying. Generally speaking, the 'rust inhibitor' you mention is used on freshly painted surfaces, or to cover any bare metal which may have been exposed during the cut-out stage. It is not for painting over scratches; a fitter should not be scratching a car although the process of painting over a scratch would make the 'primer' a rust inhibitor and therefore reinforce the common misconception of its use and purpose.

mjdronfield wrote:
A bead of sealant is then run round in as much as a continuous bead as possible. We have a special nozzle on the applicator so it comes out in the profile of a triangle, point facing out wards. This stops the glue going where it shouldn't and squishing out everywhere.

We?? Everyone uses the same "special" V-shaped nozzle! It is not specific to any one company. Applying the correct bead height, in the right amount, in the right place (using buffers where applicable) will prevent the PUR going where it shouldn't and "squishing" everywhere.

mjdronfield wrote:
At the end you should check for imperfections in the glass, as it is not unheard of for new screens to not be flat or such like.

It is the fitter's responsibility to check for damage and imperfections when he takes ownership of the glass as he places it in his van, or on his trestle, pre-installation. Minor imperfections are not always apparent and will sometimes go unnoticed until the driver spots it whilst driving.

Post #253417 8th Apr 2014 11:53pm
mjdronfield

Thanks for putting me right glassman. As I said at the beginning, I work in IT, I am not a windscreen fitter.

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #253436 9th Apr 2014 7:49am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

^ being an IT chap you certainly know more about windscreens than a windscreen chap knows about IT.. Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #253440 9th Apr 2014 8:15am
Glassman

United Kingdom 

Misinformation is rife in any industry. This is why I don't go around telling people to open MS Office by using a tin opener.

Very Happy

I don't mean to come across spikey, if I do, or have I apologise.

Post #253443 9th Apr 2014 8:26am
mjdronfield

Thanks Stan.

Have edited my post above to remove rust inhibitor and mention the V shaped nozzle, so someone reading part thread does not get the wrong idea.

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #253463 9th Apr 2014 10:23am
Post Reply  Back to top