Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Wrong Hand Drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Wrong Hand Drive

Any thoughts on living with a car with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side for local traffic?

Our government run (i.e. poor service & expensive) insurance company is complaining that RHD cars are dangerous. RHD was extremely rare in Canada and usually meant the odd old UK sports car. Now here in BC, we're starting to see JDM cars, trucks and vans starting to make appearance, along with UK spec Defenders to swell the ranks of the measly TWENTY-FIVE D110s ever sold new in Canada.

I'm sure the UK and Europe see a lot of wrong handed cars whenever someone decides on a driving vacation. Do they cause a problem? Any thoughts? Thx.

JDM= Japanese Domestic Market, i.e. Cars built and originally sold in Japan (in RHD of course).

Post #244348 22nd Feb 2014 11:42pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Here in WA there are difficulties in importing “wrong”hand drive cars but it can be done . If you want to drive one though you need to put on a sticker indicating Left hand drive vehicle ,although these usually “accidentally “ fall off and you need a left hand drive licence , I kid you not . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #244358 23rd Feb 2014 2:41am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Vehicles where the driver sits up high are no problem in wrong side drive because the visibility is vastly better than a slow slung sports car.

I used to drive large trucks and I had a Volvo F12 in left drive, mainly for my European trips. No worries on either side of the road when you're up that high.

However, I also used to have an 82 Chevrolet Camaro in left drive and it was nothing but a PITA. Couldn't see Jack Schitt in that thing, truly horrid. Would have been fine in right drive though.

Post #244362 23rd Feb 2014 7:48am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I have a RHD low slung sports car here in LHD world. Can be a pain when you want to overtake and can't see ahead so easily, but it's not such a wide car so it's not a big problem. I'd imagine a defender would be easier for this, but then what can you overtake in a defender? Laughing

Car park barriers can be a pain, but I generally manage to lean across. I'd imagine a wider car with a transmission tunnel would be more difficult.

Overall, are they unsafe? Not at all. I was actually surprised at what little difference it makes, and with quite a rare car they look a little more different and special because of it.

Post #244363 23rd Feb 2014 8:40am
BILLTU

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I had a LH drive Golf in Uk for four year and RH drive Discovey in Switzerland for three years. Only problem I had was very occasionally forgetting which side of the road I should be driving on. This was probably mainly due to the fact I was spending alternate weeks in UK and Switzerland. Fine when its busy and there are lots of other cars around but found myself on the wrong side of the road a couple of times on small country lanes where there were no road markings or signs around. 2006 4.4 V8 Vogue SE
Honda CBR 1000cc Fireblade
Bultaco 350 Sherpa

Post #244398 23rd Feb 2014 1:23pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

No problem driving a RHD in Europe, as long as you have a nice visibility such as in the L322.

Driving an Exige here is a pain in the back, especially to overtake a people mover or a van on B roads;

Canada started trying to ban RHD because too many JDM, especially Skylines, were imported by chavs not knowing how to handle power, that is it.

As a matter of fact I sometime find driving a RHD Rangie more convenient that a LHD, i.e. when getting off the car right on the pavement, practical when dropping off the kid in the morning.

In fact, besides toll road, I do not see any problem with driving a RHD in Continental Europe. l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #244417 23rd Feb 2014 3:03pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Driving RHD cars for ages in Europe, never a problem, all the great vintage and classic cars are RHD. My FFRR is a rhd the only thing I hate are these parking tickets printers. You got to get out of the car to get one, if a nice female youngster is not passing by.
In traffic it is not a problem at all. You get used to it. I drove LHD in the UK no problem, but the roundabouts sometimes give you a choise if there is no traffic on the road Smile

Post #244455 23rd Feb 2014 6:20pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Thanks for all the replies, Gents. That's what I thought. VeryDisco - yes, exactly the problem.

Axel, was that a special LHD in a RHD world licence, or just a "You need a valid licence from a LHD country to drive it?

Post #244747 25th Feb 2014 7:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1