Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Replacement 3.6 tdv8 rear shocks - OEM or genuine?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
smthack

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Replacement 3.6 tdv8 rear shocks - OEM or genuine?

Hi all

I'm looking to replace the rear shocks on my L322 2007 3.6 tdv8 and as usual am trying to avoid being too badly bled of money by Land Rover.

From my searches I see that a specific part is needed for the tdv8's and that the (much cheaper) shocks from pre-tdv8 models cant be used. Presumably because of the extra weight. I believe the part number I need is RPD500760. As it comes in at a around 200 pounds apiece for the genuine parts, , I headed off to look directly at Bilstein, Monroe and other manufacturers. Searches there certainly show-up their own part numbers but from pictures, they all seem to miss the upper housing or shrouding of the shock, as well as the mounting plate.

My question is this: can I buy a good quality bare shock for my L322 and re-use the upper part of my existing, leaky shocks and in the process, save myself some cash, or should I just bite the bullet and but the genuine parts from LR?

If an OEM part will do the job, does anybody have experience or advice about manufacturers or types to avoid?

For info, I've found the following equivalent part numbers which may or may not be correct for the bare shocks themselves:
Bilstein 44-124748 MONROE D4004 Quinton Hazell 179815 Land Rover 7H42-5B694-BB Land Rover RPD500870 Land Rover RPD000060 Land Rover RPD500270 Land Rover RPD500660 Land Rover RPD500260

Post #247228 9th Mar 2014 3:05pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Have you removed your shocker and checked yet weather it is indeed needing replacing? I ask as they often leak (seep) a little fluid over time Thumbs Up

Post #247240 9th Mar 2014 6:21pm
smthack

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the reply Criag. To answer your question, no I didn't remove it yet but it is definitely seeping which is why I was planning to replace them. The car is almost 7 years old with just over 60 k miles on the clock, so my thoughts were that seeping is bad and I planned just to replace them as a matter of course. It's just the price of the genuine parts that was putting me off, hence the question about OEM parts.

If you suggest pulling them off and testing the condition of the shocks is a the best first step, I'll give that a try, but if they need replacing my question about parts and fitting still stands.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Post #247274 9th Mar 2014 9:06pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Haven't replaced any yet but two out of every three cars that come through our workshops have damp rear shockers, hence my suggestion to check them before looking to replace... Thumbs Up

Post #247288 9th Mar 2014 10:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1