Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Use the brakes or using the gearbox That is the question!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jean-claude

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green
Use the brakes or using the gearbox That is the question!!!

Use the brakes or using the gearbox ? That is the question !

How well do to slow the "3 tons" of FF ?
Gradually with brakes or switch to sport mode and use (gently) the gearbox to slow the FF ? (TDV8)
or both.

Certainly, the discs are easier to change that gearbox ... and so much less expensive !
but if you do not damage the box ... why not use it?

If someone an opinion on this question, Welcome.

jean-claude

Post #248329 14th Mar 2014 7:11pm
SoggyBottoms

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Zambezi Silver

if I'm driving in a hilly area I will sometimes slip into sport mode to select a gear for descents so I don't sit on the brake pedal. I don't like doing it though as it fecks up the intelligent gearbox settings and make mine run jerky afterwards

Post #248331 14th Mar 2014 7:16pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I use both.

I use the gearbox more on hills (and there are quite a few around here) where you want to maintain a steady speed on the decline and don't want to cook the brakes.

In mitigation the brakes on early L322's are much more marginal than on later cars. Laughing

Post #248334 14th Mar 2014 7:18pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Driving with the six speed box (TDV8, SC etc) you will find when on a long decline your gearbox will intelligently hold a lower gear then you might expect, watch the rev counter (usually 2500rpm plus, unlike the usual 1-1500 rpm going downhill... Thumbs Up

Post #248341 14th Mar 2014 8:18pm
SKOT

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

All of the driver training today (rightly or wrongly) is all about using the brakes for 100% of speed reduction.

Changing down and using engine braking was needed to help the old drum brakes from fading years ago. Drum brakes are pretty scary!

Brake pads and discs are reliable and relatively cheap today plus your brake lights are a communication tool to the vehicle behind. Why would you want to rely on a braking method that gave no indication of your slowing down? Would you rather wear out your brake pads or your gearbox? The gearbox has enough problems as it is!! 2006 4.2 SC
2019 Renault Zoe Dynamique Nav

Post #248347 14th Mar 2014 8:56pm
DavidP

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I use both, depending entirely on where i am and what i'm doing.
Saying that I tend to use more engine braking [whip it into sport then manual] with the horses on-board.

Post #248350 14th Mar 2014 9:09pm
B3EEE

2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tangiers Orange

I use brakes - because thats what they were designed for. A gearbox is for changing gear.

as others have mentioned, todays brakes are a lot better and cheaper than years ago.

Those who use gears - do you still 'run in' a new engine and put a sign in the rear window saying 'Running in, Please pass' ??  RR Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange 4.2 V8 First edition

Post #248356 14th Mar 2014 9:35pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

DavidP wrote:
I use both, depending entirely on where i am and what i'm doing.
Saying that I tend to use more engine braking [whip it into sport then manual] with the horses on-board.

How many horses can you get in the FF David? Laughing Embarassed sorry, couldn't help myself Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #248383 14th Mar 2014 11:35pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Mechanics have told me, "Brakes are cheaper than transmissions," so I'd go with the brakes.

One caveat, I'd have no problem STAYING in a particular gear to slow the car, but I think shifting down may put more strain on the gearbox.

Post #248396 15th Mar 2014 1:58am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I updated my ERD ( emergency response driver ) just before I left the Fire service and throughout the course which is huge fun I have to say it was very simple , correct use of gears to go and brakes to stop and as every one else here has stated you just don't need to engine brake as it adds nothing genuinely useful to stopping force . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #248402 15th Mar 2014 5:25am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

There are a few long hills in the Lake District where just by using brakes I have found they have faded and so recently I have used gears as well which seems to help. It's not as black and white as some suggest also on the advanced courses I've been on they do recommend being in the correct gear to go ( i.e. accelerate away from trouble) again not quite so black and white in an automatic. Geoff

Post #248415 15th Mar 2014 9:28am
Cam-Tech-Craig

axle wrote:
you just don't need to engine brake as it adds nothing genuinely useful to stopping force .

Im sorry to disagree Axle but that is wrong sir... Why else would the gearbox hold lower gears going down hill? Fact, to slow the vehicle keeping it at a manageable speed to stop it at the bottom of a long incline...

If there were NO engine braking then FF's would be horrible to drive, just relying on the brakes to stop an out of control 2.5t missile rolling down a 2 mile incline/hill/mountain pass... Not a pleasant place to be Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #248417 15th Mar 2014 9:47am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Craig I was just referring to how we were taught to bring a fire Appliance to a a stop from big speed and to be honest I wasn't thinking in terms of mealy slowing on hills where we would use engine braking provided the revs were right for the power band , but we would only do it to hold a speed on a hill and never to actually slow the vehicle .
I guess it depends on what is meant by slowing but we were taught never to use changing down down through a gear box to slow a vehicle . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #248428 15th Mar 2014 11:23am
paulmoran2

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Mariana Black

On a slope...brakes to slow down and gearbox to maintain the speed.

As someone has already said, more sympathy with the expensive bit Vs replacing the cheap(er) bit more often, seems the right thing to do IMHO

Post #248434 15th Mar 2014 12:16pm
jean-claude

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

Firstly , I would like to thank all stakeholders for their views.
Then I would like to apologize for my "English" which causes misunderstandings.
I would also say that in this type of question, it is rarely possible to have an opinion "as clear as White and Black" !
Please , those who are "white" or those "black" opinion, do not take evil, it is them today but, tomorrow, may be it's me !

Finally , avoid exceptional situations ... I wrote "slow " and not " hard" for brakes and " gently " with the gearbox.
Is a placid 'day to day' driving required, as it should be with a vehicle that has class.

Majestic driving asked and not "attracting the attention of girls with burning's tires"
not more than ...lowering the anapurna with a 3.5 T trailer attached or... missions like "Bullit" in the streets of San Franscico !
Situations for which , I agree , few trainings is required !

And, of course , it is not "necessary" to surprise the driver behind with a sharp slowdown without, first, illuminate stop lamps (which does not imply brake wear ...).
( if you are on a hill (climb) you can also stop accelerate and, again, the brake lights should be lit briefly without breaking ... just to attract attention and prevent the driver behind).

Of course, those who do not have six speeds gearbox; "BREMBO" brakes, but also the weight of (TD)V8, have a problem slightly different.

It should also reflect the fact that the box is smart enough to accept only the gear if complied with speed.
And I suppose the engineers at LR have provided the function possible and not harmful (otherwise they would "prohibit" by software ! and clearly and put in this in manual)
I have not read anything like this - but... my "English" is like you may see... : o)

Never working with the "sport" mode and never to force pignions in the reverse direction (opposite the teeth) is this ideal too ?

For my part, I shall like many, I use both, with attention for keepping "cold" brakes but not risking too much unnecessary effort (and brutal) on the gearbox.

In final, I'm happy, apparently, no big risk of breaking something in with this use type.

Of course, the ideal is "anticipate" ... neither box nor brakes ... just anticipate ! but this is not always possible.

Thank you, again, at all.
Jean-Claude

Post #248453 15th Mar 2014 3:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>