Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Drive Selector issues again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
tboner001

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Fuji White

so what if the electronic switch fails in the dummy gear knob Far to many gone...

Post #252172 2nd Apr 2014 11:47am
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

lets add to the flames.

The stick is unnecessary. It is only an electronic switch with a massive great handle. There because people watch BTC and think its a sporty thing. It is also because we get stuck with tradition. Anybody remember the pushback from rotary dial telephones against push-button phones? Safety and logic says we should drive with a joystick to control our cars now.

The pop up selector is a gimmick too. Better than the stick as less wasteful of space and makes the cabin look less cluttered when retracted.

What I want is the gear selection to be on a column lever (Rolls Royce style) with a twist switch for hi-lo ratio selection. Use once when get into the car. The off-road stuff, and I use it almost everyday, to be consigned to the current gear selection position for manual terrain response, the HDC to be part of handbrake (switch in the lever perhaps) the ASL/ACC and ECO (if I had one) to the touchscreen (assuming faster operation). Then give me some good sized storage for the things that no longer seem to have a home including my sunglasses and phone.

Maybe there is another topic to be started. This one is for the drive selector

Nick 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #252200 2nd Apr 2014 2:01pm
Nick Ground

Depends when the electronics fail, up or down, but then there are a million other things which could fail. Is there a history of mass failure? I do not frequent the Jaguar forums but this mechanism has been in place on the XF and L322 for a long time now.

55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS

Post #252202 2nd Apr 2014 2:03pm
tboner001

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Fuji White

Thumbs Up yup it sure has and some other cars Far to many gone...

Post #252218 2nd Apr 2014 3:24pm
CaptainG

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Right back to the original topic, interesting though it is, I personally dont care how we engage the gearbox as long as the method chosen is reliable & it seems this rotary popup device is not, or not for me anyway,
Dealer has called and they have had to replace the drive selector module again as the one fitted in December last year has failed or rather is failing.
They have also taken the oppurtunity to update any other software on the car whilst in the workshop.
I get it delivered back in the morning so will see how it goes...

Post #252219 2nd Apr 2014 3:42pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I HATE column shifters! Rolls Royce, no. It reminds me of twenty year old Crown Victoria taxis! I haven't tried the rotary knob, but at least it's in the correct location.

Post #252326 3rd Apr 2014 2:05am
CaptainG

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Car has been returned, lets hope this drive selector module lasts more than 3 months, all ok so far but have only had 2 trips.

Post #252395 3rd Apr 2014 2:14pm
NormanP

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Aintree Green
Any insight into what the cause is?

Mine (one year old, 12K miles) has started to show this same fault (so far has not failed to rise eventually), only occurs after it has been standing e.g. overnight or in a car park for several hours. Booked in to dealer for warranty attention next week, but does anyone have details of what the recognised issue is - software update? On Topix I see Field Actions “Q406 - GateWay Module Software Update”; “Q363 = RFA Software Update”. Under Technical Bulletins I see “LTB00455v4 - Transmission Rotary Switch Module - DTC Diagnostics”. Under Special Service Messages I see” SSM71890 - Transmission Selector Switch Fails to Rise”
I am not a subscriber so can’t see detail beyond those headings. Anyone have any insight into what has been concluded, if anything?

Edited to update for reference, 12 Nov: dealer has replaced entire selector unit under warranty (no "trying a software update first" nonsense...). Good service. Norman

Current LR: L405 Vogue TDV6 (MY 2014) Aintree Green/ Ivory interior
Past LR: L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 (2002); Discovery series1 V8 (1995)

Last edited by NormanP on 13th Nov 2014 3:04pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #290996 5th Nov 2014 6:34pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

I am seriously considering asking if SVO would build me a car with the sport lever, at the end of the day it is just a set of electrical switches. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #291129 6th Nov 2014 8:46am
Nick Ground

I'm sure they would, but having had a SSRR on loan for a day it might not be quite as simple as bodging a stick in there. The Sport lever is more confusing than the rotary knob. There is an interlock switch (not present on FFRR) to move into gear and when you want to engage park there is another, different, button. It is only a glorified paddle. Within an hour I was fed up with it and wanting the simple knob back. As the function is different I suspect the software for the gearbox is different and so are the LCD messages too..... Interested to know what response you might get from SVO but not for me.

55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS

Post #291134 6th Nov 2014 9:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12