Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Who needs Aeroplanes when you have a Range Rover?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
destructimo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green
Who needs Aeroplanes when you have a Range Rover?

Hi All,

I needed to visit a new supplier in northern Spain this week and weighed up the travel options. Fly, or drive? I'm not a huge fan of flying and sitting about in airports so even though it's a bit of a journey, driving was looking the favourite.

After a quick shuftie at google maps it seemed a doable 750 odd miles, so drive it was then.

I planned the stops at sensible 200 mile intervals to refill with LPG and ordered a set of adapters.

Preparation was quite simple, check the tyre pressures and fluid levels, flick the levers down on the headlights and slap the GB sticker on the back of the car Very Happy

Dover is very near to me so I caught an early ferry that had me leaving Calais at 5am for my continnental adventure. The route was easy. The roads were very good and the traffic was light. I cruised at 80ish most of the way and just stopped for gas and espresso. I pulled in to my hotel near Bilbao at around 6pm.

I know the Range Rover is a good car, but this really brought it home. It's not just good, it's actually quite incredible. It eat the distance up and all that was required of me was to sit in a very comfy chair, barely holding the steering wheel, listening to the radio and enjoying the changing scenery.

The drive back was similarly good, leaving Spain at 9am and getting into Calais at 10:30pm

So in 2 days of driving I covered some 1500 miles and managed to burn through 480 litres of LPG Laughing

Door to door it was a few hours longer than flying, but my chair was far more comfortable and I didn't have to share Cool

Cheers

Clive

Post #270404 12th Jul 2014 12:06pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

sounds like a great trip clive....i had this type of discussion with another member when i drove to cologne and dussedorf for the xmas markets...much better in the FF and you can take loads of stuff with you.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #270405 12th Jul 2014 12:12pm
Boydonegood

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Ipanema Sand

Awesome Clive

I appreciate yours was for business and in a later LPG FF. But I really want to do a road trip in my TD6. Will look at something someday.

Tel Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #270407 12th Jul 2014 12:23pm
destructimo

Yep I filled the boot up with products that would have cost a few hundred pounds to courier to us, so that made it a bargain trip.

It was a great trip. Hard to explain but it did have more of a sense of occasion about it. Motor touring in a British car and not seeing many other UK cars on my travels and only saw one UK L322 in Calais and a French L405 in Rouen!

My Basque colleague loved the Range Rover and wants one but even though second hand they aren't expensive, it wouldn't be a great idea because of the perceived value and the economic crisis they are suffering at the moment. He feels guilty enough with his BMW Laughing

Next time I'll take the family and stay for a few more days. Northern Spain is beautiful.

Cheers

Clive

Post #270409 12th Jul 2014 12:39pm
destructimo

Boydonegood wrote:
Awesome Clive

I appreciate yours was for business and in a later LPG FF. But I really want to do a road trip in my TD6. Will look at something someday.

Tel

Hi Tel,

Go for it! Mines a 10 year old car too. I did have in the back of my mind the nagging fear of it conking out with some catastrophic failure, but that was completely unfounded.

Mine's well maintained and I think that's the key.

Cheers

Clive

Post #270413 12th Jul 2014 12:53pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The Full Fat is a great GT car.

Post #270416 12th Jul 2014 1:01pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Cool trip Clive and great decision to ditch the plane.

I did a 4000 km trip in Europe in just a week and although sleeping in the car is not as comfortable as business class, I still prefer it over flying. Like you Clive, hate flying and the hanging around the airport. FFRR seats are just soo much better. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #270418 12th Jul 2014 1:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1