Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Squeaky bootlid and problematic radio display
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
swimma

South Africa 
Squeaky bootlid and problematic radio display

Hi

I recently (2 and a half months back) bought a 2004 Range Rover V8 from a dealer.

The car has had two major issues which I've not been happy with from new:

The first is that the bootlid squeaks over anything more than a perfectly flat road. I spoke to the dealer about this and they said that it is a common problem with older vehicles with a split tailgate. He explained that this was due to plastic rubbing on plastic. He gave me a roll of self adhesive velcro (the soft portion only) to put onto sections where I could see the plastic rubbing. This made no difference. The vehicle has gone back to them for a total of 5 weeks in the 10 weeks I've owned it, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no difference here. Is this a common problem? If so, how does one rectify?

The second is that the radio display looks like it is on the blink. On an adhoc basis, when you switch the car on, the image on the screen looks like it is displayed either skew, or it is shaking around at an angle, as shown in the pic. It sometimes comes right after a few moments, but other times I have to try to select screen off and drive like that. I have not seen or heard of this on other Range Rovers.

What is frustrating is that these are the two single biggest things that are dampening my enjoyment of what is otherwise a lovely vehicle. The vehicle has been back to them on 2 separate occassions (once for 3 weeks and another for 2 weeks).

Any comments or suggestions from the other forum members?

Post #274367 5th Aug 2014 9:40am
Joe90

England 

Are you sure it is the tailgates? Have you tried opening either / both and driving down a bumpy road? This might help to identify the source: upper/lower/join between the two.

Check the top and bottom hinges also.

Radio Display: have you got the Non touchscreen or Mid ?

Best to check out the connections at the back of the radio (Mid) or in the left hand side of the boot (screen). Well known water ingress problems that causes corrosion and other problems .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #274467 5th Aug 2014 5:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1