Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TDV8 + 1900kg van over 800 miles - great economy @ 1500rpm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
specman

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aruba
TDV8 + 1900kg van over 800 miles - great economy @ 1500rpm

Going from Fife to the Cotswolds recently - 400 miles - with a loaded twin axle Buccaneer Caravelle (maximum plated weight 1900kg) and moving to hit the Cotswolds in time with as few stops as possible for the site closing, returned an average of 17.4mpg.

Click image to enlarge

This was not too bad at all I thought as the old D2 used to get 18mpg doing a similar run.

The return journey was yesterday and the Saturday traffic was horrendous, the road was mobbed so a third of the journey kept me to about 1500 rpm/<60mph with several large chunks of waiting around the major motorway intersections en route.
I ended up getting it to 58mph/1500rpm/manually selecting 6th gear then sticking on cruise and letting it run.
If you leave the gearbox on "D" with cruise and the van on the back it hunts a bit on gradients dropping a gear unnecessarily and hitting economy.

The Sat Nav speed when reset while on cruise mode, recorded an average of 54mph when the dash speedo showed 58mph - similar to what my E38 7 series sat nav gets up to when comparing.
I was getting 22.5mpg!!!!!!!

I decided to run the rest of the way home at 1500 rpm on cruise as above and when I hit Shap Summit on the M6 and Beattock Summit on the M74 all I had to do was drop the gear down from 6th to 5th, sometimes 4th.

To put a scale against the length and size of the combination we stopped for a short break and this pulled up beside us:
Click image to enlarge

So the sweet spot of the TDV8 for towing a caravan is circa 1500rpm and you will get good economy similar to mine at 22.0mpg dead on. I know Hoppy_70 was able to get his down to 23mpg SOLO so this is quite an achievement.
I saved almost £28.00 coming home at 1500rpm, not bad for an extra hour "moving time" on the return journey!

Last edited by specman on 1st Aug 2010 11:23am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #23868 1st Aug 2010 9:50am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thats a lovely caravan mate, but its massive ...just shows you what a great motor the ffrr is....nice pics...

Post #23869 1st Aug 2010 10:09am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

From Preston north to Beattock it's mainly uphill too, which makes that even more impressive - going south you usually have the wind against you though -you just cannot win.
I'm bringing my Tdv8 up from London on Wednesday/Thursday with only me in it and nothing being towed.
I tend to sit right on the speed limit on the cruise for the entire journey so will post what mpg I get as this will be an almost all motorway run. I will be very happy if I achieve the 32mpg I get on the same run in my current TDv8 RRS which is has slightly different engine tune to the version in the FFRR 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #23870 1st Aug 2010 11:02am
specman

You are right Tim going from Preston North you are climbing steadily all the up to Tebay junction 38 on the M6 with a final climb as you pass Westmorland Services and hit the aforementioned Shap summit with the quarry and the massive dumper trucks crossing over the M6.
The railway used to have steam engines then laterally diesel locos sitting ready to bank the heavy trains pushing at the back to help over Shap and Beattock - its that big a climb and slog.

Worth noting that the Truck stop Tebay Junction 38 is a damn good place to stop for a meal, notice they have changed the signs to lorries only, which is utter crap, trying to get cars to use their higher priced proper motorway services I wonder?

Post #23871 1st Aug 2010 11:13am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I looked at the Bucaneer caravel last week. Lovely van. If only I had a spare £23k ! 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #23873 1st Aug 2010 12:02pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

Spec, I regularly drive down to Southampton/New Forest during my leave, sometime with work related things others for a long weekend. I stop at Killington Lake and Stafford Service on the M6 for breaks and then I ALWAYS have lunch at the British Motor Heritage Centre at Gaydon - J12 off the M40 - lovely clean loos and a good cafe and much nicer than the Warwick services not far away.If you use the conference centre entrance from the upper carpark then you don't have to pay museum entry to have a comfort stop and a lunch - they have space for caravans too. I usually fuel up at the Gaydon Esso on the round about and play spot the test mules from the Land Rover Jaguar and Aston development centres just up the road - helps break the journey! Then it's all downhill to London or the New Forest. Sometimes you can still in the carpark and hear extremely powerful sounding vehicles speed testing on the test track behind the banking!
North bound I stop at Gaydon, Stafford and Teabay North, have never tried the truck stop, mainly because of the Trucks only sign. Always get my shopping for the next few days at the farm shop at Teebay too, although it's starting to get pricey! When my folks go south with their motorhome they stop over night at the Teabay south services caravan site - it 3 hours drive from home near Stirling for them and as my Dad is 82 that's enough driving for him in a day these days. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #23875 1st Aug 2010 12:22pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Tim if you a brew on ur way up around Preston drop me a PM, only 2 miles off M6.

That also goes for any one if they are passing.

Post #23877 1st Aug 2010 12:35pm
Tim in Scotland

Cheers mate will look you up sometime for a brew! 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #23878 1st Aug 2010 12:46pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

I'll have to try keeping mine to 1500 in a couple of weeks on our trip dome to Longleat.

Post #23879 1st Aug 2010 1:00pm
specman

Ah but aerodynamic spoilers to lift the caravan off the road is pure cheating!
Best of luck, try getting up to 58mph/1500rpm, in 6th, set cruise, then drive using the box in manual, of course if conditions allow it.

THanks Tim for the pit stop locations, always good to find out about new places to stop.
You must try the Jct 38 Truckstop if it fits in with your journey, damn good morning fry up for a reasonable price too.
Plus its owned by the same people who have the van site and other services nearby.

Post #23885 1st Aug 2010 1:49pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Shocked CAMPERS ! Laughing All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #23896 1st Aug 2010 4:11pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I looked at the Bucaneer caravel last week. Lovely van. If only I had a spare £23k !

If I had 23k spare it'd be to trade in the Td6 for a new 2011 model.
At least I could use that every day. I've never been a caravan fan. 23k buys you a lot of B+B stops. Laughing
Obviously I don't get enough holiday time... Big Cry

Post #23903 1st Aug 2010 5:46pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Re: TDV8 + 1900kg van over 800 miles - great economy @ 1500r

specman wrote:
[/b]I know Hoppy_70 was able to get his down to 23mpg SOLO so this is quite an achievement.
I saved almost £28.00 coming home at 1500rpm, not bad for an extra hour "moving time" on the return journey!

I was really trying to get 23! I can get it down to 17, if I drive like a tw*t Laughing

Do you need a class 1 licence to drive around with that thing on the back! Laughing My Previous RR's!

2008 TDV8 Vogue
2006 TD6 Vogue
2007 TDV8 Vogue
2007 RRS (I know, it doesn't count!)
2005 4.4 Vogue on LPG
2005 TD6 Vogue
2003 4.4 Vogue
2001 4.6 HSE
2000 2.5 DHSE
1999 4.6 HSE
1997 4.6 HSE on LPG
1995 2.5 DSE
1989 3.9 EFI classic
1988 3.5 EFI classic

Post #23908 1st Aug 2010 6:10pm
specman

Nah Hoppy you just have to watch out for the tw@ts trying to cut you up, had a bit of that on the way down to be honest Embarassed hence the 17.4mpg southbound.

For you to manage 17mpg solo you must be trying real hard wee fella. Laughing (There aint many who could describe Hoppy that way, but I think I just win by a few cm???

Post #23912 1st Aug 2010 6:52pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

noddy wrote:
I looked at the Bucaneer caravel last week. Lovely van. If only I had a spare £23k !

LOL, well if you like that you might just like the 2010 Elddis Crusader Superstorm which I might be selling Wink Nowhere near to 23k either.

Back on subject, we just came back from a week in Wales (New Quay) and the journey back to Tamworth gave me 23.4 MPG (Actual figure calculated from full to full). This engine is an absolute pearler with so much torque on tap it barely has to work.

When we did the Lakes which was mostly motorway I was getting 25 at a steady 60. France in a couple of weeks should produce similar results hopefully.

The real shame for us now is that the In-Laws no longer come with us as FIL is becoming a little unsteady. The little lad is always asking "where's Grandad" and this is the main reason we're going to change to a 4 berth van, (probably with an end bathroom) probably around October at the NEC if I can get a deal. It's not quite the same without the In-Laws though.

Post #23933 1st Aug 2010 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>