Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Low Range Over-ride?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tymh

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green
Low Range Over-ride?

I committed the cardinal sin of resurrecting an old thread today! Rolling Eyes hew ho!

However, the issue is my transfer box is stuck in low range due to some unknown electrical( favourite ) or mechanical fault.

Can't get the b*gger our of low range,

Took the motor off and tested it; spins OK but I think the potetiometer is goosed as it seems to spike at 13,000 ohms and also drops out.

Until I get this sorted, is there a way to manually put the transfer box in HIGH range mode so I can drive above 45 mph?

Seems it should be possible - the motor just turns the transfer box between the two, so can I pull the motor off, turn the spline drive manually to it engage high range, put the motor back on and disconnect it?[/u] Tym
(current) L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue 2008 Tonga Green
(previous) L322 4.4 LPG Vogue SE 2003

If it sticks, force it. If it breaks, it needs replacing anyway.

Post #282662 24th Sep 2014 5:00pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

You could certainly select high range by removing the shift motor and turning the lead screw manually, but you’re up against the transfer box ECU which memorises the shift motor position before the ignition is switched off and will then automatically try to push the selector fork against the range stop it last remembered, to calibrate itself, as soon as you turn on the ignition again.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Have you tried Fuse 37?

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #282666 24th Sep 2014 5:19pm
tymh

Yup. Tried that.

it's very odd in that when I do that, I put it in neutral, turn off as far as I can, put fuse 37 in, turn ignition on without starting, turn off again, pull fuse, turn ignition on and flick the range selector, that's when I get the faint high pitched tone and the dull "thunk" then it bings and says failsafe mode.

Kind of makes me think the transfer box itself is "stuck"

edit: and to confirm, after I put took the motor off, with reference to your pictures, it was deffo in the low range position.

Would manually moving the spline drive to high range damage anything?

Can I not do the foot to the floor, turn key to pos 2 for 60 seconds etc to reset the calibration? Tym

Post #282668 24th Sep 2014 5:23pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

"Would manually moving the spline drive to high range damage anything?"

It shouldn't, provided the driveline wasn’t statically loaded i.e. reacting against the park lock. Just make sure that the (main) transmission is in Neutral and not Park and that the vehicle can’t roll anywhere. I’d be tempted not to reconnect the electrical connector on the shift motor and see if the (main) transmission will still shift gears (presumably the TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG message will stay on) then at least you can drive around at sensible speeds again.

Phil

Post #282674 24th Sep 2014 6:01pm
tymh

Thanks Phil,

One last question before I try it,...

Turing it anti-clockwise takes it out, so to get it from the low range to high range I presume I have turn it almost a full circle clockwise?

I suppose it would also give me an idea as to whether the transfer box itself was "clocked" in low range... Tym

Post #282675 24th Sep 2014 6:04pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Yes, from memory that sounds right. Turning the spline clockwise moves the selector fork towards the rear of the vehicle i.e. pulls it towards you, which selects high range. The force on the lead screw acts into the casing so it doesn't try to eject itself.

Engaging low range from high is more tricky as turning the lead screw anti-clockwise causes it to try to screw itself out of the casing so you'd have to load it axially while turning it to prevent this.

Phil

Post #282682 24th Sep 2014 6:37pm
Joe90

England 

I used a spare shift motor with motor casing removed, fitted to TB and then span the windings until back up into high range, then refitted original motor (with missing spline in correct position for high range on the motor)

I have the same same problem as you tymh, and even with RRPhil's significant help have not yet got to the solution to the problem. Even tried a brand new shift motor (they were cheaper a few years ago) and that didn't fix it. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #282698 24th Sep 2014 9:25pm
tymh

Thanks Joe. I'm full of confidence now to tackle this Very Happy

I'd thought about connecting another battery to the pins on the motor to wind it to the right position, then popping it off now and again to see where it was. If I get it just to the left of where I need it I can manually wind it clockwise the rest of the way.

This will also test my theory as to if the TB itself is stuck.

Unfortunately I have to work on this outside, and tomorrow's looking damp.

Also, my 2 tonne trolley jack won't lift a 2.5 tonne car high enough... Confused managed today to lift it enough to get under it, but it didn't lift any of the wheels off the ground! Tym

Post #282700 24th Sep 2014 9:50pm
Joe90

England 

Thumbs Up

You need:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic17310.html Wink

and putting power to the pins is another approach, has worked for others. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #282718 24th Sep 2014 11:57pm
tymh

The story so far...

Try as I might, I could not get the right angle on the pins to power the motor up manually, so I took it off and wound the TB box round to high range with a small stilson on the splines.

It moved really easy so happy it's not stuck! Thumbs Up

Figured that if I left the motor disconnected I would have a permanent "tb failure" message and it would be stuck in forth gear, so I reconnected it and crossed my fingers that it wouldn't drop it back into low range. Theory worked, and so far it's stayed in high range Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Managed to last a day before the binging started again. random messages about failsafe mode; some lock me in 4th, some don't.

I still think that after testing it, the potentiometer is goosed so *may* try another motor (unless someone has magically started making these separately...)

Also thinking about my battery as occasionally, when I start it, the doesn't. It reacts like a "flat battery" start. Then I take the key out, try again, and it starts. I'm thinking along the lines of other posts that says if the voltage is low the gearbox and tb ECUs can't talk, and hence the failsafe mode... Tym

Post #283722 30th Sep 2014 7:15am
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I had a similar problem on a P38 and found that if I moved it manually and then unplugged it I had to short 2 pins to trick the ecu into thinking it was in high.

Ian

Post #283739 30th Sep 2014 8:57am
tymh

I've got mine set in high mode. Just keep getting the "fail safe mode" message now... might be brave and try a high to low to high switch...!!!! Shocked Tym

Post #284007 1st Oct 2014 8:29pm
alfapat

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I'm tagging on to this thread after reading it , looks familiar to something I have a problem with.
It started with checking for battery drain and taking out fuses , I inadvertently managed to put the transfer box into neutral , and couldn't engage gears . After a good deal of swapping fuses into the rightful places , I managed to get drive in high gears but Failsafe comes up and it asks for neutral to be selected briefly. Everything works except H/L range so get the feeling that its (Transferbox} stuck in neutral.I dont seem to be able to reverse the procedure ie as the book indicates to remove No.37 fuse .I do remember when I get drive eventually that the gearbox did come in to play with a clunk.But leaving the ecu possibly on the transfer in neutral, hence the Failsafe Prog still showing .
If there is a code Ill post it , but any confirmation of this would be helpful.
For instance maybe removing the solenoid shown earlier ?

Well this Fatty has a mind of its own and seems to please itself when it wants to!
Just went out to retrieve codes, the usual hdc inactive , possibly battery a bit low.
0x8C Auxillary sense incorrect ...never understood that one.
Instrument Pack
0xEF No TXU1 received from Transfer Box ECU
and this whis always there ......0xBD EBV function fault received from ABS ECU

ECM- Engine (DDE4)
P1642-10 CAN message failure TXU1
Glow plug relay failure (fair enough) glow relay defective
P0401-20 extended fault path EGR governor deviation-negative deviation. .... I assume its a bit choked and needs cleaned?

If anyone can tell me some or all of the faults I would be grateful.

End result is the Failsafe disappeared and High/ Low works again, I am really pleased at this but the theory behind this is ?

The three amigos including hill descent stayed for a while until I pulled the gap tool now they are gone.

Post #543982 15th Feb 2020 2:28pm
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

Hi Pat, did you resolve any of those error codes

I have the IID tool, and have these 3 codes under the IP Instrument Pack section

0x8D Transmission Interface Bus Fault
there does not seem to be much info on this one

0xEF No TXU1 received from Transfer Box ECU
I bought a used ECU and we swapped it over, but fault still remain, am now looking at repairing the Transfer box motor, the plastic cog inside is usually the culprit and the repair kit can be bought on ebay for under a tenner !

the third one I have been told not to worry about, it is not applicable to L322 models

0xBD EBV function fault received from ABS ECU
this error will always pop up with the L322 as it's a function reserved for the BMW models, not Land Rover.

all the best
Peter

Post #628176 9th Apr 2022 11:54am
alfapat

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Hi , this is going back a bit , I think what happened was all the sensors on each wheel were gone , most of all the pick up rings on the driveshafts, you may see some more threads on this . When I went to replace the rings , I bought aftermarket sensors and that created more problems , got a refund and ordered genuine L/R , chalk and cheese all problems disappeared!
Hope that helps , just ask anything.

Post #628202 9th Apr 2022 5:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1