Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Anyone had this - front wipers stopping completely?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Weejock

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green
Anyone had this - front wipers stopping completely?

I've just experienced this, traveling down the A3, wipers on rain sensitive setting but on constantly given the pouring rain (saw two cars spun off the road on the way up the A3 just to give the idea of how bad it was). The wipers sweep down to the bottom park position then fail to come back up! I tried switching to every setting including washing but nothing happening (washers squirted but no wiper movement). Luckily I was going at a steady pace on the inside lane when it happened, I could just about see although visibility was severely reduced (to about 20 metres!). I was even contemplating opening the window but managed to turn off the A3 at the next junction and stop safely. I thought the fuse must have gone but I decided to try the old switch the ignition off and restarting. Sure enough it started working again.
I am thinking it's an issue with the park switch on the wiper motor. The motor doesn't sound noisy although I haven't had chance to inspect it closely (thinking rusty grease gumming the switch). I suppose it could also be an intermittent problem with the wiper relay or poor connection although it stopping in the parked position points towards the wiper motor itself.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this and what the outcome was. Mines an '02 4.4.

Post #285311 9th Oct 2014 6:32pm
le25dse

Norway 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Loire Blue

Usually this is the wiper relay. You will find several comments on this here on the forum. The relay is behind the panel on the inside of the battery. ----------
2014 tdv6 (ex. 2004 td6, 1997 2.5 dse)

Post #285319 9th Oct 2014 7:09pm
RP123

Scotland 2006 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey

Go basic 1st - have you checked the fuse?

RP

sorry should have read the whole post - not the fuse because it started working again ...

Post #285322 9th Oct 2014 7:15pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic11626.html

Phil

Post #285403 9th Oct 2014 11:53pm
Weejock

Thanks for the posts.

Interesting RRPhil, I take it never reappeared after replacing the relay?
I'll check it out over the weekend for the blocking error on the ECU. Following your info and as it's cheap I've ordered a new relay anyway.

Post #285406 10th Oct 2014 12:33am
Weejock

Update.

I just got around to replacing the relay and on removing the old one it was rattling.
Checking inside, one of the relay contacts had over heated and parted company from the copper plate. It was still working as it was using the remaining copper as a contact but it was arcing so would have given up eventually. The contact floating around inside the case wouldn't have helped either.

If it happens to anyone else (wipers stop but restart later on ignition cycle) then I would check the relay as first port of call. It may not be rattling but it's worth popping the relay cover off and checking the contacts.
The relay is located behind the battery in the lower right corner of the ECU cover (battery has to be removed).
Incidentally it's BMW part no: 61368384505 which is common across a lot of the BMW range (although I got it cheaper from LR (part no: YWB000060)...it makes a change!).

Got to be the easiest fix I've done!

Thanks for everyones help Thumbs Up

Post #288872 25th Oct 2014 6:58pm
SMUTT

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Thanks for the tip - almost worth carrying a spare relay or change it as a service item. Howard

Post #288879 25th Oct 2014 8:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1