Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Has anyone fitted an OBD port lock?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue
Has anyone fitted an OBD port lock?

I read with some disquiet about the hacking of the keyless entry systems on the L405. They might become uninsurable.

As I understand it, the theives break a window, gain access to the OBD port (so always double lock the car to make their life more difficult), connect a laptop and programme on a new key.

Has anyone fitted an OBD lock?

Post #289200 27th Oct 2014 4:11pm
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

The old BMW failing.......nothing new but certain newspapers seem to have jumped on it. '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Post #289219 27th Oct 2014 5:54pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

The easiest/best way to protect an OBD port is to simply fit a switch into the earth wires at the rear of the port itself with the switch located somewhere only you know. This disables the port and would make it almost impossible in a reasonable time for any potential thief to successfully use it. For absolute security you really need to do the modification yourself.
Depending on the cabling to the port it might even be possible to break into the earth cables some distance from the port making it even more secure.
Much better than simply locking the port imo. Thumbs Up
If I'm not mistaken however I don't think our thieving friends bother with breaking glass and connecting to the OBD port, I think they are it bit smarter than that. Wink
Keys are the way forward.

Post #289225 27th Oct 2014 6:26pm
modbarra

Scotland 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Loire Blue

My C63 was stolen via 'key cloning'. Insurance / police and tracker all said USB was most common on BMW but effects all vehicles, re insuring L405..... Just renewed mine £575! That's taking into account the opening sentence of this post!

Post #289242 27th Oct 2014 7:43pm
Chauch

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Just be very careful with anything to do with the OBD port - I have tried a couple of OBD solutions recently, and they have kicked the vehicle into diagnostic mode without me realising and disabled the ESP completely without showing a warning light, as the vehicle is assumed to be stationary ion diagnostic mode. 4.2 Supercharged Vogue SE

Post #289294 27th Oct 2014 10:08pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Remove your original OBD socket and hide it behind a panel/cable tie it up behind the dash... Then go to a scrappy and cut one out of another car and refit it in your now absent hole Thumbs Up

A nasty bastard (like me Razz ) might even wire said replacement up backwards so it fry's would be thieves computer equipment Whistle Whistle Whistle

Just remember to NEVER plug in an IID or service equipment to your dummy rig Thumbs Up

Post #289301 28th Oct 2014 12:20am
Mark1107

United States 2013 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Fuji White

Here's what I don't understand, corvette since 2005 has keyless entry but the fob has a rolling code one of a million combination and even if they can pick up the code it changes each time you activate the fob and it's very difficult to steal our vettes. Why can't jlr do the same thing?

Post #289305 28th Oct 2014 3:29am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Mark AFAIK all modern cars use the rolling code thing. The tricks that are being used are different and much more high tech than blunt code cracking.

What I think is ludicrous is that mechanics tools can be used to gain access to cars. Any half wit would understand that those tools get into the hands of criminals before most garages even have them. So not a smart move. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #289307 28th Oct 2014 6:12am
ebajema

I just had a better idea. The "fake" OBD port should be fitted with a small ECU that first install a bit of software onto the laptop that makes the laptop send continuous messages about its location. Also the fake OBD should activate a tracker unit (separate from any other trackers) that alerts the tracker company and the police that someone is fiddling with the car.

And it should send a temporary shut down message to the vehicle ECUs, making the car unstartable for 10/15 minutes or activating the valet or transportation mode.

Also the fake OBD should be fitted with a cellular modem and send text messages to the owner.

And lastly it should trigger a gas capsule that fills the cabin with sleeping gas or laughing gas Smile Smile Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #289309 28th Oct 2014 7:14am
Mark1107

United States 2013 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Fuji White

ebajema wrote:
Mark AFAIK all modern cars use the rolling code thing. The tricks that are being used are different and much more high tech than blunt code cracking.

What I think is ludicrous is that mechanics tools can be used to gain access to cars. Any half wit would understand that those tools get into the hands of criminals before most garages even have them. So not a smart move.

Thank you ebajema for the clarification. It's amazing that these tools are available to steal from hard working owners very expensive and difficult to obtain cars.

This is an epidemic on your side of pond and I haven't heard about it once here in the USA....I don't own a gun but American cowboys would probably shoot the thieves. Also 99% of Range Rover owners have a minimum 2 car garage if not a 10 car garage at this price point vehicle.

Mark

Post #289312 28th Oct 2014 8:23am
ebajema

It is ridiculous Mark that A. it is possible to get the tools so easily, B. that is it possible to use the tools for stealing and C. these bastards seem to not like honest work and take it from hard working people (well most of the FFRR owners are/were hard working people). MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #289313 28th Oct 2014 8:39am
stenh02

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Rimini Red

Off Topic

modbarra wrote:
My C63 was stolen via 'key cloning'. Insurance / police and tracker all said USB was most common on BMW but effects all vehicles, re insuring L405..... Just renewed mine £575! That's taking into account the opening sentence of this post!

You must be ancient and/or live up a mountain! £575 bargain. Thumbs Up

You got a tracker on the L405?

On Topic.

If the Censored want your car they will get it. Hook or by crook.....

Post #289830 30th Oct 2014 7:51pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

10 seconds to start one on Watchdog Shocked Shocked Shocked Sniggering Sniggering Sniggering Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #289861 30th Oct 2014 10:26pm
Hotwheels

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Fuji White
Had my obd lock fitted today...... And very relieved!!!

A friend of mine had his 2013 Range Rover vogue se stolen like this and he had terrible trouble with the insurance company as they claimed he must have left the car unlocked!!! Plus he lost his no claims and his premiums went through the roof (protected no claims made hardly any difference) so this is definitely going on, I have now had a protective device installed in both my cars which dosnt affect the way I open close and start the car but protects against this type of crime (don't want to elaborate incase the wrong people are reading this) it was done by a company called select auto systems and only cost £200 per car. Bargain compared to what it would cost to loose my pride and joy!!!!! Great job from a very nice installer called Gary very fast prompt and above all careful installation (apparently he works for all the leading prestige car manufacturers and it shows in the care he took whilst fitting, with me looking over his shoulder!!!) contact www.selectautosystems.co.uk

Post #290043 31st Oct 2014 9:11pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

people should also be very aware of say, a 'company' in say a car park, with say an advertising tent etc, giving free paint /dent repair quotes, they will obviously have you looking at your dent, while the other guy 'reads' your paint code, via the OBD in a few seconds, they might then even ask where the quote might be posted to!
they'll then return to collect the car, -even without you even knowing!

Post #290050 31st Oct 2014 9:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>