Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Apple CarPlay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
madpugger

Scotland 
Apple CarPlay

Has anyone any knowledge of fitting a CarPlay compatible head unit into an '04 model?

There are not too many models out with CarPlay yet, but I'd be keen to know if anyone has done anything yet with the L322?

Thanks

Post #297135 5th Dec 2014 9:35am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

not that I have seen on here, quite a few have installed the android based head units in pre touchscreen cars, so in theory the wiring should be in place.

I had not really heard of it until you posted about it, looks interesting, though definitely difficult to integrate into the later FF i should think. Coming soon in a LR product nearby soon though.....aparently...... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #297235 5th Dec 2014 8:25pm
madpugger

Scotland 

Thanks,

Yes it looks interesting indeed! There are aftermarket double Din units available, from Pioneer and Alpine, but I am not sure how these, or if indeed, these would fit in the FF, if steering wheel control would still work etc.

Post #297249 5th Dec 2014 10:43pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Had a bit of a web search,

http://m.cartronics.co.uk/Land-Rover

Seems they have fitted a double din unit to an older ff so there are adapters available. Still don't know if it's possible to integrate a standard stereo into the most system. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #297265 5th Dec 2014 11:33pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

04 is not going to be a MOST nav.

At best you'll get steering wheel control integration. Check for BMW E53 or E39 (X5 or early 2000s 5 series) compatibility. Electronically these vehicles are the same as the 02-04 RR.

All that said, aftermarket head units in a L322 look like poop IMO. And apple play is not (yet) anything to write home about. A good nav, good bluetooth, and good iPod integration with the original head unit and you have much more to write home about (incoming calls on cluster display, contact list scrollable in the cluster display or the nav display, voice control, maps sucks as a nav, etc).

There will be better things coming and better methods of integrating apple play with the car's system. And by then hopefully apple play will be improved too.

All just MO. Thumbs Up 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #297314 6th Dec 2014 11:47am
markskyline

Canada 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I'm currently installing a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX in my 04 FFRR. I will be integrating it with the HK Logic 7 system with an aftermarket sub box, steering wheel control, sirius xm satellite radio and a backup cam.

I decided against the china player route as I've always been a pioneer or alpine head unit user. I will be moving the stock nav screen into the glove box to ff's consumption data.

I'll update this thread with my experiences using the CarPlay system. Anything is better than my stock 2004 setup.

Post #297881 9th Dec 2014 11:09am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Thanks SteveMfr, I have a poop looking Pioneer double din fitted to mine for a couple of years now Mr. Green
The newer Pioneer models are compatible with the aforementioned apple stuff which need a firmware upgrade to allow functionality. Personally, my old system was the basic HSE spec, which was on it's way out. I did look at the Chinese units that maybe looked more OEM , but I have full iPhone 6 integration via various apps working through the headunit. TBH it did look odd after the archaic single CD & radio unit but you get used to it and now I think it looks fine. And it came with a Parrot hands free kit as well, which was nice!

Post #297936 9th Dec 2014 4:30pm
madpugger

Scotland 

Thanks guys, I'd be keen to see photos of the install.

Mine has a Chinese unit fitted I think ( I'll need to check with the owner when I pick it up once I can get onshore! ) but IMO the OEM unit isn't exactly good looking and is not exactly very user friendly.

I'm going to try and make some nice trims for the surround to the double din with the help of a laser cutter/engraver...

Post #298034 10th Dec 2014 1:03am
markskyline

Canada 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I fitted a Pioneer 4000Nex head unit in the truck this week. I wired the HK Logic 7 system to the Pioneer but added a 12" Alpine dual voice coil subwoofer. I also wired in a SiriusXM satellite module, steering wheel controls and a backup cam. I found a Belkin lightning dock that fit pretty well in the space in front of the gear shifter.

Apple CapPlay works well. I had to do a firmware update on the Pioneer for it to sync with my iPhone 6. No problems or issues so far. I did the installation myself and took my time. There's a lot of modification that's needed to fit the double din in the stock location. Wiring also took some time as you have to run the output of the deck to the factory amps in the trunk/boot.

Overall i'm very happy with the outcome. The old system looks very dated and the CD GPS unit is so painfully slow. Having integration with my phone and Siri is awesome and I'm very glad I decided to do it.

Sorry I didn't take any pics of the actual install but I can answer any questions you have if you're planning to swap your deck.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #299215 16th Dec 2014 12:43am
ohuntsman

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Cool thread, being an Apple guy I'm keen to go with CarPlay although the Android head units look really good.

Can you still set the auxiliary heater timer to come on in the morning with that unit? Also does the CPU info show on it?

Post #388335 23rd May 2016 2:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1