Home > Technical (L322) > ignition key stuck in the switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
miken213

Northern Ireland 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Buckingham Blue
ignition key stuck in the switch

Hi folks
Can anyone help me with this problem in that when I got into my car the other day, put the key in the ignition and started the engine, I tried to move the gear stick out of park and into drive. The gear lever seemed to be stuck in park, it's only when I really pushed down on the brake pedal it moved.
I checked all the gear positions before moving off and everything seemed fine. At the time I just put it down to a gremlin in the system. On arrival at my destination, I parked up put the gear lever into park and turned off the engine. It's only when I tried to retrieve the key that I found out it would not come out of the ignition switch.
I have looked on-line to no avail, but for some comments regarding a sensor/solenoid linked between the park position point and the ignition switch.
Another thing I have noticed while pondering this question is, what colour should the indicator light be when a gear stick is in park as mine is showing red. All other positions on the gear shift when moved show an orange light, but I can't think for life of me if this red light on the park is normal. All the gears changes show up on the instrument panel, so that's Ok. In the back of my mind for some reason I think this should be green and this could explain why I can't remove my ignition key.
PS, an update from above post
But this is where it really gets strange, following this post yesterday, I was out checking my lights as it was going in for an MOT that evening.
I had my lights on as normal so the indicators would have been blank, as I was not testing them at the time when I noticed that on the back indicator lights I was getting four red lights coming up across the centre of the lens. At the time I was in the process of checking the front spotlights and then the rear fog lights when I noticed it.
So now the question is, why am I getting these red lights when nothing should be on and why they are not amber. Following this I checked my indicators which worked normally and then something came into my head, I remembered reading on-line about the electrical inter-link play between the park gear and brakes and how this in-turn affects the sensor/solenoid on the ignition switch. So I applied the brake pedal more in hope to see what would happen and it worked and the lights went out. But when I turned the lights off and then the engine and then turned the engine on again to see what would happen, the red lights were back. I then tried the engine off again and the four red lights remained on. This would explains why after recharging my battery, while getting ready for the MOT after a few days it went flat. These red lights must be code to mechanics as to the un-lying problem. I don’t know I feel this is now turning into a bit of a Sherlock Holmes, anyone knows a good Watson?
Regards
Mike

Post #298132 10th Dec 2014 1:10pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

any help?

http://www.fullfatrr.com/wiki/Key_stuck_in_ignition ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ΖŽκ“•βˆ€κ“•Oκ“€ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #298133 10th Dec 2014 1:16pm
miken213

Hi Stan
I will check that out and come back to you.
Regards
Mike

Post #298139 10th Dec 2014 1:52pm
CHANDOS

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Santorini Black

Hi Mike,
Check this thread out.
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic9127.html
It sorted my problem out Thumbs Up
Chandos

Post #298266 10th Dec 2014 11:18pm
miken213

Hi Chandos
Thanks for that, I too had this one flagged-up after trolling through the posts. I think this is the same as the post I received yesterday, which shows a diagram of a gear Assembly which has to be lubricated. I hope to examine this one over the weekend, if the weather plays ball.
Regards
Mike

Post #298343 11th Dec 2014 1:25pm
miken213

key will not release from ignition switch on L322 Td6 2003

Hi Stan
Your link to a diagram on the gear lever assembly and what to lubricate did the trick and now I can remove my key and everything works find. A big thank you for your help on this.
The only problem I have left is to sort out the problem with the 4 red lights which come on in my rear indicator lights. This as far as I'm aware only appeared at the same time I had the key problem. So it must be linked in some way as some sort of warning system regarding the brake/park sensor which I now need to sort out and do a bit more research on. Even when the ignition key is removed and the alarmed it till stays on. So is a drain on the battery. If anyone has any Ideas or has had the same problem, please get in touch.
Regards
Mike

Post #298933 14th Dec 2014 3:35pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

by you pressing the brake pedal more and the red lights go out it suggests that the pedal switch might be at fault ..
before lubricating or investing in a new switch ,try a battery disconnection, sometimes this resets everything.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ΖŽκ“•βˆ€κ“•Oκ“€ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #298934 14th Dec 2014 3:40pm
miken213

Hi Stan
Once again thank you for your help.
I have taken the rear lights off and found the the red lights are LED's built into the amber lens and feed via Grey and White cables and not part of the rear lighting. It has to be an warning system of some sort to notify relating to the brakes as they do go out when you apply the brake pedal. The lights then appear again after the key has been removed but very slowly as if related to the speed of the brake fluid if that makes any sense. Any Idea Stan.
Regards
Mike

Post #298959 14th Dec 2014 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1