Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Overpriced? New shape RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
Overpriced? New shape RRS

Browsing online today and used new shape RRS seem to start about £60k+ compared with L405 that seem to be available late 60's to around the 70 mark.

Old shape RRS still wearing screen prices of up to £50k.

Can't imagine many people paying late 40's for the old shape RRS and couldn't help feeling that the new shape RRS is - great car or not - overpriced given the L405 can be had for not much more. Although there are certainly plenty of 405's and new RRS about.

Just wondered what the thoughts of others were.

Post #299793 19th Dec 2014 11:42am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Worth what someone will pay for them.

Post #299797 19th Dec 2014 12:27pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I think most people think the L405 is too big.

Post #299799 19th Dec 2014 12:34pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

At the end of the day if you can afford 60+ then you can probably afford 70+ and so on. Therefore it would simply be a matter of personal pref. I can help thinking however that there is probably quite a diff in the lease prices between the sport and 405's which would sort the men from the boys.

I don't know but I bet 80-90% of RRS are leased and many of them are stretching the budget just to have one whereas 405's are purchased by those that can really afford it?

As for the outgoing RRS shape I totally agree, unless they threw one at you who would buy one? Embarassed 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #299801 19th Dec 2014 12:44pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

If the cost is justifiable, then one will pay the price.

At £60k for an L405, buying a good 5.0 L322 makes so much more financial sense to me.

I couldn't ever justify the cost of buying an old-shape RRS, though.

A new-shape RRS is a better prospect, but with the prices you quoted being tantalisingly near that of the L405, I'd not feel satisifed unless I went for the FF.

The other thing to factor in is the upcoming all-new Discovery. Not the Sport, but the proper one. I can't help feeling that could end up getting a lot of attention. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #299802 19th Dec 2014 12:44pm
pld118

Thanks for the thoughts.

I was under the impression most L405 were leased and/ or on final payment type finance deals. The final option payment deals I've glanced at (and no more than that so I stand to be corrected) seem to indicate monthly payments not too far apart be it new shape RRS or L405.

The shape of the Discovery Sport looks quite nice to me but the car seems more of a fashion accessory than the presumably more practical Discovery and Range Rovers.

The new RRS is nice enough to look at but doesn't have that visible presence of the L405 and I'm told the interior is more cramped than the L322 and the L405.

Last edited by pld118 on 19th Dec 2014 2:11pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #299803 19th Dec 2014 1:04pm
Philip

pld118 wrote:
I was under the impression most L405 were leased and/ or on final payment type finance deals. The final option payment deals I've glanced at (and no more than that so I stand to be corrected) seem to indicate monthly payments not too far apart be it new shape RRS or L405

Everything is on the never-never nowadays.

Just had a quick look and a basic Sport can be rented for £6xx +VAT per month, whereas a proper one is well over a grand (everyone surely just hands them back and rents another at the end).

Re the proper Discovery - from the sound of it, the next one will be a less practical proposition than the current. Hopefully the new Defender will fill that gap.

Post #299808 19th Dec 2014 1:17pm
pld118

Thumbs Up Good observations Trommel!

Post #299817 19th Dec 2014 2:11pm
pld118

Only see one new shape RRS under 60k so far on AT.

SDV6 SE, 2014, 17k miles @ £55.5k with 22" alloys:

** Edited ** just noticed footnote on advert says it is an import!

Post #299976 20th Dec 2014 8:02am
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

import it may be but very nice all the same.

I know two people who have just paid over £80k for 405's cash, no finance, no loans they are just wealthy people. I suppose my opinions are a bit skewed towards what I know.

These guys have always paid cash as long as I've known them. Their circle of friends also just deal in cash. Its true to say that they are all retired. - I wonder if financing is a generational thing? You don't hear the saying 'if you can't afford it you should not have it anymore'.

£600.00 pm is more than twice my mortgage - whats that all about for a car!! 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #299994 20th Dec 2014 10:35am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

TBH the biggest selling points of the SSRR new shape over the 405 are simply,

2 extra seats(!)
about £50k less for a top range one.

Dont forget the SSRR tops out around £70k, the 405 around £110-115k now IIRC

On the road they are quite different with the SSRR SC being just a bit lighter and still the same engine and certainly more fast road based. You feel it in the seats when you get in being more like recaro seats.

The 405 on the other hand is more GT design for me, designed to stomp across miles of road(iirc you can get upto 700miles from a 4.4tdv8 on a long cruise) and come out as fresh as a daisy just like the 322.

The boot is certainly a decent bit bigger and you get the split fold tailgate. As Clarksonian said, A Range Rover isnt a range rover without it.

As trommell has said i think more and more are on the never-never and chucked back at the end of the lease by doctors and the likes that earn an FF salary every year but also have the house to match it. I certainly see enough of them around Wilmslow and Cheshire-ville.

The sports are popping up more and more but im yet to see anyone in real life try and use the rear two seats. IMO they are a waste of design time and should stay with the Disco as there just isnt enough space for any person over 4' to make comfortable use of them and i have used the ones in the disco 4 a good few times in years gone by so know what im talking about here.

The other thing that concerns me immensely about the SSRR is any engine BUT the SDV6. the engine bay is SOOOO cramped with the SC and 4.4tdv8 that i think there will be long term issues with heat in those bays, and we have already seen that the 3.6tdv8 is showing to be more unreliable the the L302 compared to the l322.

I think in the last few years JLR as new cars have come out have asked the people who dont really look at the sticker prices what they think they cost and then priced them accordingly. A bit like BA did with Concorde tickets... Hence their profits per car compared to build cost are a hell of a lot more than they used to be, simply because they can Sad

I do think that LR are moving away from their roots and more to the fashion sector which could be a pitfall for them in years to come as their volumes shrink Sad FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #300027 20th Dec 2014 1:05pm
Philip

Extra seats are a huge bonus for anyone ferrying kids around, that's the only reason they're there.

As far as I can see from my scientific approach of looking under the bonnet, there's no real difference in the size of the engine bays between the two (they are, after all, on the same platform).

I suspect list prices are no longer relevant per se to the average "purchaser" - the monthly cost is the real driver. £600 per month is a lot easier to find than £65k, hence the huge numbers of "expensive" cars sitting outside modest houses.

Post #300034 20th Dec 2014 1:40pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

They looked very different to me when I looked Smile maybe the shorter length contributes to this. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #300039 20th Dec 2014 2:18pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

My attitude is simply buy what you like (using what ever financial option suits you best) and enjoy it - its easy to over analyse or overthink Thumbs Up

Post #300050 20th Dec 2014 3:01pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i shall now have to think about your post charles... Mr. Green ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #300071 20th Dec 2014 3:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>