Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > So I fitted the compressor kit and....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Brian

United Kingdom 
So I fitted the compressor kit and....

I'd the garage reset the computer for me the other day and decided to put the kit in yesterday - put everything back together again and all was ok and then I decided to test it and *bong* air suspension inactive. Went out this morning to find the back sitting right down and after starting it nothing happened and it just sat there - I assume that it needs the computer to "reset" but I don't want to drive it like that so I've asked my mechanic to come over and put the computer on it - has anyone else had that or am I likely to be looking at something else?

Post #355393 5th Nov 2015 12:03am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

On the early RR's, when the suspension ECU threw an error, it would send a message out to the rest of the car saying fault found. This is how it knows to display fault on the dash etc.

Other ECU's in the car remember that the suspension has logged a fault, and record it as well in their own memory ... the lighting module being the main culprit.

So what can happen can go along the lines of:

Susp ECU generates fault, logs it and tells the rest of the car
Car displays fault message and warning lights
Lighting module logs fault message in its memory.
Fault is fixed, and suspension ECU reset.
Car starts up, and all systems to their checks.
Suspension ECU reports all OK.
Lighting system says "Suspension logged fault"
Car then displays suspension fault message, and light on dash again ... doh!

So in the case of suspension faults on the early L322 (at least for my 4.4 V8, and I don't imagine the Td6 being different) you had to reset the suspension AND the lighting module.

IIRC When plugged in, if you reset the suspension and then the lighting with the engine running, the compressor should immediately start running. As its on its @rse, it may take a few minutes (and pauses of the compressor running for heat protection ) for the system to build back up to full pressure. V8 or else ...

Post #355400 5th Nov 2015 12:37am
Brian

United Kingdom 

So far when clearing codes it goes back to 116 not enough pressure but no other error codes - and I cant hear the pump so I assume it's something daft I have done (like break it) I'll start at the beginning and pull it all out again and go over the steps to see if I did anything including meter the plugs to check for power and see what the story is now.... But first, tea.

Post #355427 5th Nov 2015 10:48am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Check the fuse and then could be the pump motor has been over worked and fried.

Did you replace all the seals or just ones that looked worn?

Are the air lines all tight and secure? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #355431 5th Nov 2015 11:02am
SMUTT

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

^^----"But first, tea."

This is often the most important step when fault finding! Well done. Laughing Howard

Post #355432 5th Nov 2015 11:06am
Brian

United Kingdom 

Yes tea is very important Cool also, its raining and I don't have a garage although the tailgate makes a useful shelter Smile all the pipes seem ok (at least they did at the time - i'll just retrace my steps in case I missed something *heads out*

Post #355435 5th Nov 2015 11:11am
Brian

United Kingdom 

Update:

Got the compressor out and after much swearing, with bruised knuckles and head injury's caused by forgetting to prop up the shelf and getting soaked as the rain changed direction and then dropping the spare on my foot I took the unit down to the garage and they put 12v on it and it works Confused I can feel air coming out of the pipe and the compressor is not noisy (as it was with the old piston ring) but I don't know how much air or pressure it should be putting out?

I can't get anything done until Monday as the mechanic is going away for the weekend so all i can do is rebuild it so far and leave it in the wheel well to wait for him to come back and test the wiring etc - any ideas of anything I can check in the meantime? I know it will need the computer to reset the hard fault so it looks like I'll have to slum it in the other car until then.

Post #355462 5th Nov 2015 1:50pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mine logs a fault in the LCM (as well as the EAS) but it doesn't stop it working and doesn't bong up a fault...

If the lights are out on the EAS switches then it's a hard fault and the compressor won't work until it's reset... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #355467 5th Nov 2015 3:20pm
Brian

United Kingdom 

Double checked the connections myself after noticing that my compressor did not have the multi-plug inside it, the wires went direct from the compressor, out the top of the tank/holder and onto the multi-plug in the boot Question once I was sure there were no bad connections we reset the computer this evening and the second we did that the compressor sprung into life. reset the codes and the graphs showed good pressure and voltage and after a few minutes she sprung (literally) back into life. I took her for a run and tested the off road height and all seems ok and it took only about 30 seconds to reach that height but I did not notice the usual "30mph max" message even though she seemed to be at max height (the light was on) and the compressor had stopped - i'll check again tomorrow when its light and (hopefully) dry *crosses fingers*

Post #356176 10th Nov 2015 11:37pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

30mph max only comes on when you get near 30mph as a warning it will drop if you continue...

Glad it's sorted...

Now try out the low box, if you don't use it now and again that gets seized up... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #356194 11th Nov 2015 2:01am
Brian

United Kingdom 

I've used it recently and the hill descent as well Smile No point in having these things if we don't eh? though when people ask why I use the air suspension I reply with "because I can" Smile

Post #356195 11th Nov 2015 2:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1