Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L322 vs L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey
L322 vs L405

I drove my previous L322 5.0 SC again yesterday. The dealer sold the car to a client of mine funnily enough and I took delivery for him as he is currently in the UK. Car will be used to drive locally when he's at his St Tropez villa.
Anyway it gave me a good opportunity to compare with my L405 with the same engine.
Car still drives superb, started off by doing some motorway which was really effortless and comfortable, then got off the motorway to the twisty bit going down the coast and I forgot how much it rolls in the corners, the seats don't hold you too well and you soon lift off as driving fast is not really enjoyable. Once at the client's home, I put the car in the garage and drove off in my L405 and immediately as you set off you notice a massive difference. The car is much more tied to the road, everything is much more precise, you can adjust the seat (especially tighten the sides) so that you don't slide off your seat, it's way more comfortable, suspension is softer when you need it to be (and that's with the 22 inch Style 7 wheels) and tightens up in the corners. You feel much safer. And design wise I think the L405 has succeeded in updating a classic design (and some may remember I said exactly the opposite some time ago) but parked side by side the L322 still looks lovely but dated in a classy sort of way if you know what I mean.
Anyway, my client bought a cracking car with 2 year Land Rover warranty, he's happy and I'm happy I made the move to the new model. I had a bit of nostalgia when thinking about my L322 but I'm glad I had the opportunity to drive it as I'm no longer nostalgic!
If you are still undecided to move to the L405, I can only say, just do it, you won't regret it.
L322 +
- Interior is still nice and perhaps more practical, I actually prefer buttons instead of having to go through the info screen's sub menu (climate seats)
- Boot is larger (dog has more space)
- sunglass holder (important where I live) which disappeared in the new model for some reason

L405 +
- I like the panoramic roof
- Better seats
- Better roadholding
- More comfortable
- Better in almost every way - The drive will make you forget the few shortcomings

Post #310434 4th Feb 2015 9:11am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Interesting read - thanks for posting. Thumbs Up

Out of curiosity how much better is the L405 on fuel, given the much lighter weight, better aero an 8 speed box?

Post #310435 4th Feb 2015 9:26am
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

But extremely expensive at the min that will go down where as keeping an older model will Stay around value and drop a little, I'm not too keen on the samey year round looks there all going that path, my pals is nice but the looks don't do it for me Confused so buying a few houses to rent and seeing them go up and money roll in appeals to me more tbh, if I want to zip round it's in the Audi TT or might consider a 2005 with 48,000 Bentley coupe at the min which I've seen at 30k Thumbs Up

Post #310437 4th Feb 2015 9:30am
CSK

KurtVerbose wrote:
Interesting read - thanks for posting. Thumbs Up

Out of curiosity how much better is the L405 on fuel, given the much lighter weight, better aero an 8 speed box?

About 2 to 3L/100km less which is considerable. You tend to drive a bit faster though!

Post #310451 4th Feb 2015 10:22am
KurtVerbose

Wow, that's like 5mpg better. I will change my order from a TDV6. Thumbs Up

Post #310458 4th Feb 2015 10:40am
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

Scottyav wrote:
But extremely expensive at the min that will go down where as keeping an older model will Stay around value and drop a little, I'm not too keen on the samey year round looks there all going that path, my pals is nice but the looks don't do it for me Confused so buying a few houses to rent and seeing them go up and money roll in appeals to me more tbh, if I want to zip round it's in the Audi TT or might consider a 2005 with 48,000 Bentley coupe at the min which I've seen at 30k Thumbs Up

£30k is all very well for a Bentley, but you'll need to sell one of your investment properties when it goes wrong Whistle

Post #310487 4th Feb 2015 1:24pm
CSK

Bentley coupe, you mean the one that is based on a VW Phaeton platform and engine? No thanks.

Post #310491 4th Feb 2015 1:53pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

The Bentley is certainly a lovely vehicle but I would never own one out of warranty. Their parts are extremely expensive. Our V8S went in for initial warranty work just one week into its life and required a new windscreen as part of this work. The windscreen was over £2,000 alone to replace plus labour.

Their build quality is also very hit and miss as I have experienced on 2 brand new vehicles.

Post #310494 4th Feb 2015 2:01pm
wanderer

2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

But it looks like a big Evoque. I wish they'd made it look a bit more special, like the L322.

Post #310498 4th Feb 2015 2:07pm
CSK

I don't think anyone would mistake a proper Range Rover for an Ejoke, something that's based on a Freelander platform. It's in another dimension. No such thing as a squashed roofline or ugly back end.

Post #310558 4th Feb 2015 4:11pm
KurtVerbose

It's not really the L405's fault. When the L322 was conceived there was only one Range Rover, now there's a family and there needs to be a family resemblance.

Post #310562 4th Feb 2015 4:16pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

The latest Bentley Continental GT Speed is/looks amazing but I would never recommend buying an older one. Its a car for those can really afford it. (And buy new under warranty)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then drive these routes:

http://continental.bentleymotors.com/en/routes/crewe-to-islay

http://continental.bentleymotors.com/en/ro...ikki-beach

http://continental.bentleymotors.com/en/ro...-las-vegas

http://continental.bentleymotors.com/en/ro...er-village

http://continental.bentleymotors.com/en/routes/yarra-to-barossa

http://continental.bentleymotors.com/en/ro...ala-lumpur

Last edited by Gazellio @ Prestige Cars on 4th Feb 2015 4:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #310566 4th Feb 2015 4:21pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Doesn't the new one weigh the same as an L322 Shocked

It performed well on Top Gear despite being yellow and a VW too! Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #310569 4th Feb 2015 4:28pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I was next too a 2015 plate Sequin blue one in traffic for ages on the M25 two days ago and the lady/girl blonde driving it was absolutely gorgeous. New Bentley Continental GT owning may have it benefits.... Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #310574 4th Feb 2015 4:43pm
CSK

I like bespoke Bentley's not something that shares its components from mainstream models from the same group. That's called badge engineering. Much like Ejokes and Sports are to me not Range Rovers, Range Rover badge is just used as a premium label to price the vehicle accordingly. No way they could have sold a Freelander at what they are asking for an Ejoke. Fancy body and a Range Rover badge does the trick for a buyer who doesn't have a clue what a Range Rover is.

Post #310581 4th Feb 2015 4:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>