Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Could someone be trying to nick my rear lamps?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Could someone be trying to nick my rear lamps?

Please bare with me a mo, when I was taking delivery of my Rangie, I noticed that there was a crack on the nearside rear light, the dealer promptly replaced it with a brandnew one. That same night, I took my family out for a meal, half way thru the meal, I noticed a Porsche cayane parked right next to my car and a BM X5 behind it, but they didn't stayed long tho.(a couple of minute), it was dark and thought nothing of it...

Anyhow, the next day, i decided to wash my P&J, and noticed that new light had some damage, slight crack and scratches, haven't a clue where I get it from Confused

So, I have just been on an ebay to look for replacement and I found this..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-Range-Rover-Vog...240%3A1318

..and this is what the seller said...

You are bidding for a pair of rear lights for a Range Rover Vogue (though I think that they fit any late model Range Rover). These lights were stolen last month from my car but were subsequently returned by the Police two days after I had purchased replacement lights.

Range Rover are unwilling to accept responsibility for the design fault which allows for these lights to be stolen from locked, alarmed, parked vehicles. They are worth approximately £300 which is a nice little earner for the scum that stole them. I do not wish to educate further scum as to how the theft is achieved but would like to alert all fellow late model Range Rover owners to replace the bolts that retain the lights in place with Allen key or slot-head screws which cannot then be turned from the outside of a locked vehicle. If you have a look, you will work out how this is done. Please note there are only 2 bolts that hold the lights in place, the front section is held by a clip which releases when the bolts are undone.

The lights come complete but I would advise you to obtain your own screws without hex heads. When the Police returned the lights (they were found with a stash of other stolen items in my village), one of the lights had slight scratches on the perspex which is barely visible. The scratches are not visible in the photograph and are hard to see without close scrutiny.

If you are local, I would be more than happy for you to come and collect the lights. I have estimated the cost of the postage to be around £7.50, though I am happy to discuss other options with the successful buyer such as courier, insurance etc...

I didn't realise you could remove those lights from the outside!! I am beginning to think those guys at the restaurant car park were trying to nick my light Evil or Very Mad

Post #1803 13th Dec 2008 8:30pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #1813 14th Dec 2008 10:02pm
Robert_it

Italy 

FU Censored I am surprised how bad this is designed??? I went straight in the garage and tried to swab the Front headlight "Phillip's" head screws with the 10mm head bolts on the rear lights. Same size same length only to find that you can not remove and keep the washers at the same position so you end up with too big washers in the front and too small in the back....
I left everything in the original position and I'll guess I will be heading to my local DIY shop for some new 6mm crews with Phillips or torque heads...

Thanks for the info.... such a little mod. to keep your rear lights safe.

Makes me mad though that we have to do this at all Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 2006 Full Size 4.2 V8 SC. Bonatti Grey - Ivory/Aspen.

Post #1816 14th Dec 2008 10:47pm
kin

There were some activities between the X5 and the cayene, I just assumed that they stopped there to have a chat....someone must have disturbed them...

I can't believe these sort of things still going on nowadays Evil or Very Mad I would have a good look on my car when it comes back from the dealer...would light guards be able to prevents it from stealing it?

Post #1817 15th Dec 2008 12:04am
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Even if it could it is an expensive solution. Replacing the bolt type is probally the most cost effective.

Post #1819 15th Dec 2008 12:59am
kin

Full fat not diet wrote:
Even if it could it is an expensive solution. Replacing the bolt type is probally the most cost effective.
Its more of a deterent, if you know what I mean? Confused

Post #1821 15th Dec 2008 1:05am
JOKER

Scotland 

The Lamp Guards that i got fitted via the dealer Kin , have actually been drilled into my front and rear wings and he supplied me with two hex/allen keys in case i would need to take them off.

So in theory as long as i did not have a front or rear bump , I could fill the the hex/allen screwheads with epoxy filler - hardener, not saying this would stop them but it would make it more of a detterent .

But if they want something they will get it whatever it takes. Thumbs Up

Post #1822 15th Dec 2008 9:41am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

If this is happening then it's bad news for all RR owners, especially the SC owners as the clear lamps have a bigger premium.

My advice would be to make the alteration as described or, get rear lamp guards.

Look at these two pictures I took of my rear lamps. The guards prevent anyone getting access inbetween the lamp and the bodywork on the rear side panel where the push fit lugs hold them in place.

Also, they prevent someone getting a slim spanner down between the tailgate and lamp unit. Even if they manage to remove the guard before being seen, the metalwork holding them on still prevents them undoing the lamp unit further.

Worth £40 in my opinion.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1825 15th Dec 2008 11:21am
kin

RRUK wrote:
If this is happening then it's bad news for all RR owners....
I take it this is the first you've heard about it then... may be I was just unlucky, when my ff come back from the dealer, i'll take a good look at around the tailgate area and lamp screw for tell tale signs of damage Confused

Post #1841 15th Dec 2008 8:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Its not something Ive heard of before but it doesn't surprise me, I can just picture the scum who would do this too.

I guess its best to check when you buy these things if the seller seems genuine or not. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1849 16th Dec 2008 10:14am
kin

My RR is finally back...with the side steps, transmission fluid change cost £250! Big Cry

Anyway, I checked the rear lamp hexbolt, the top bolt has some damage, it would seem that my suspicion of attempting to steal the rear lamp was right.

Whilst I was in the showroom, I also checked out the new RR, and noticed they've replaced the hexbolts to the round torx bolt, it'd seem LR must have recieved many complains before, and now changed the bolts... Thumbs Up

Post #1890 18th Dec 2008 10:43pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

More and more bolts are being changed from Hex to Torx and now Torx to security Torx.

You might think that manufacturer’s are trying to stop the casual mechanic fitting bits (even changing bulbs) Twisted Evil

Post #1891 19th Dec 2008 8:06am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i thought i would resurect this thread as a reminder that the theft of the fullfats rear lights is something that is easyly done...i changed my bolts to allen key types as a precuation.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #178529 19th Mar 2013 9:12pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Shocked I will be checking tomorrow. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #178532 19th Mar 2013 9:17pm
MrP

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Blimey - last job I did today was replace my 2004 FF rear lights with nice new supercharger clear ones Shocked off to get new bolts tomorrow, does anyone have the size of the bolts to hand to save me removing one to check? "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

'61 Plate 5.0SC Autobiography - in Black ——— Gone
'53 plate 4.4V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey inside and out. ----- Gone

Post #178537 19th Mar 2013 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>