Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Potentially dangerous? electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jovinblak

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
Potentially dangerous? electrics

Had the two P38s for around ten years or so. but the L322 only since mid last year, thought I'd treat myself to the v8 as I wasn't expecting to be walking for long, however after the spinal operation and learning to walk again (after a fashion) and other things to catch up on, I hadn't noticed the Mots on one of the P38s and the L322 ran out the same day. The P38 I expected to pass, only 2000 mls since the last with no advisories, the 322, no chance, the drivers windscreen washer packed up and the handbrake was as good as an anchor using cotton and an empty matchbox, so left that one in the drive after expiry. Now the reason for this long winded post. A fortnight later replaced the washer and found myself capable of jacking up said vehicle and with help removed the rear wheels, then to release the handbrake and put the box in neutral, ist problem, battery all but dead, can't unlock car, only drivers door, no others, released handbrake, but can't move gearstick, had a charged battery and jump leads behind passenger seat from recent callout to wife with flat battery, I'll use them to power car and do the necessary, this is when I realise some major shortcomings with the car and the reason for this post. With a battery too low to operate the electronics, the doors do not mechanically unlock, the gear lever will not move unless the engine is running, I also found after starting the car to continue, I cannot remove the key once the lever is out of park even though the engine is off, this would indicate that, should there be a shunt enough to trigger the airbag, tripping the battery isolator, the occupants would be trapped in the car, this would also be the case if the electrics were shorted while driving through floods. All this seems to tie in with the manual, but I'm hoping you chaps will tell me there is something wrong with my 322 and that I can address these problems, else I will have to find a way around them, particularly the battery isolator and I really must have the doors unlocking without power.

Cheers John thanks for your help.

Post #316991 8th Mar 2015 9:47pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

If the airbags are deployed all doors will unlock, you will not be locked in the car.. Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #317022 8th Mar 2015 11:28pm
Jovinblak

Thanks Pete, that's comforting to know, is it mentioned anywhere in the manuals.

Post #317023 8th Mar 2015 11:31pm
Joe90

England 

The doors will/should unlock from the inside without power using the door handles. Needs a double pull, once to unlock, then again to open.

You can also escape from inside via the tailgate....there is a small plastic cover on the upper tailgate which you lever out and pull on the tab to release upper tailgate. Lower tailgate is released by pressing locking tabs at either end.

Both the above from Owners Manual (MY02!)

Not sure if the gearstick (with key in ignition and foot on footbrake) will move without power on board, but guess that would be least of my worries Shocked

If car dies in a flood, make sure you can open the sunroof Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #317024 8th Mar 2015 11:34pm
Jovinblak

That's what I expected Joe, but mine definitely do not, no mechanical action at all from the internal lever whatsoever even though there was enough power to switch ignition bringing up the screen and dash lights.

Post #317027 8th Mar 2015 11:44pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

That's because they were double locked before the battery went flat, they don't double lock if you lock the doors after getting in and starting, and then as Joe says they will unlock and open....

The gearstick is electro-mechanically locked without the engine running, if you crash you would not be in park and it wouldn't make much difference anyway...

You can very easily disable that feature so the gearstick can be moved around at will.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #317031 9th Mar 2015 12:08am
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Also re: gearstick, if you pull the gearstick off there is a lever that you can lift to move the gear lever.

Had to do it when mine needed putting on a recovery wagon with a totally dead battery.
Thumbs Up

Post #317056 9th Mar 2015 9:26am
Jovinblak

Thanks all, that's all my concerns dispelled and why this and my other favourite forum are an absolute must if you own one of these or a P38. Now the handbrake does it's job, to book the Mot with crossed fingers.

Cheers John

Post #317138 9th Mar 2015 6:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1