Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Hydraulic Engine Mounts -Info and Advice Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
Hydraulic Engine Mounts -Info and Advice Needed

I've had a weird vibration on my FF for a while now, have checked all the usual suspects like gearbox, TQ, suspension, track rod ends and all steering components, wheel bearings, etc.

Looking through the RR Manuals I came across the fact that the FF TD6 engines use hydraulic engine mounts, activated via a vacuum pipe arrangement and electronics, however there's not much info about where the vacuum pipes, etc, are in the engine bay. Have located the engine mounts, but can't trace the pipes.

My questions are:

1. If the hydraulic mounts weren't working (due to a split vacuum pipe or disconnected pipe) could this cause vibrations during normal running.
2. Has anyone had this happen to them.

Any advice or info would be gratefully accepted Bow down Bow down

Post #263044 3rd Jun 2014 9:38pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You won't believe how poorly the vacuum pipes are fitted! Take the engine tray down and you won't miss them Thumbs Up the same size as windscreen washer hoses... Its a wonder its not a general issue when you see how they fit the pipework! Thumbs Up

Post #263047 3rd Jun 2014 9:42pm
Discotigger

Many thanks Craig, will have a root around tomorrow to see where they're at. Thumbs Up

I had my steering rack replaced a while ago and that's when the weird vibration started. After checking, testing and replacing all the other things, I'm wondering if the pipes have been damaged or got disconnected and that's what is causing the vibrations I'm getting.

P.S. Hope you both had a great time in the Big Apple!! Thumbs Up

Post #263049 3rd Jun 2014 9:50pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

We did thank you sir Bow down

The pipes run under the steering rack Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up

Post #263051 3rd Jun 2014 9:57pm
Discotigger

Glad to hear you had a good time, did you manage to bag a Rolex though? Thumbs Up

If the pipes run under the steering rack, it sounds like they could be the culprit... they've possibly got disconnected or damaged during the rack replacement.
I will update once investigaations have been done.

This could possibly be the reason so many other FF drivers have a weird vibration in their FF's that they can't get to the bottom of.

Post #263056 3rd Jun 2014 10:09pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

NO... It was really just a thought about the Rolex. I am now learning about them first Thumbs Up

Post #263070 3rd Jun 2014 10:59pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Can I ask how you checked the Torque Convertor?

Post #263098 4th Jun 2014 6:56am
Discotigger

My local indy checked the gearbox and TQ when they did the oil and filter three weeks ago. I had the gearbox oil and filter done a year and a half ago, done 40k miles since then and it was time to get the oil refreshed. The indy guys showed me the oil they took out of the gearbox, and it was just as clean as the new stuff they were about to put in. There was no grit, dirt, glitter or sign of overheating. I think they did a couple of other checks as well, so I'm more than happy that it's not the gearbox or TQ at fault.

Post #263170 4th Jun 2014 12:26pm
nicedayforit

Thumbs Up

Is the vibration there all the time or does it just appear under certain conditions?

Post #263184 4th Jun 2014 1:50pm
Discotigger

It's a really weird vibration, not there all the time and only noticeable on certain road surfaces. I noticed it first after I'd had the steering rack replaced, due to having a tiny bit of play in the steering, felt at first like I had a wheel or two slightly out of balance. Got the tyres checked and then put four new boots on the rims (19 inch standard rims), balanced, etc. Still could feel this slight vibration, it's not a violent sensation, but feels like a gentle and steady resonation (if that makes any sense). Then on some road surfaces you get a gentle sensation through the steering wheel, like a wheel is not quite 100% balanced.

My local indy has test driven the motor several times and can't feel any vibration through the wheel, but as I said to him, I drive the motor every day (110 mile round trip to work and back) so maybe I've become sensitised to the vibration. This is why I've wondered if it could be the vacuum pipe to the hydraulic engine mounts. If the mounts aren't working, then it could be the vibration from the engine I'm feeling.

It's been raining today, so not had a chance to have a look under the Ff to try and locate the vacuum lines to the engine mounts, but will update once I've managed to get under her.

Post #263275 4th Jun 2014 8:08pm
nicedayforit

I had a very slight vibration recently which I could feel through the steering wheel as well as on the car.
Couldn't find anything wrong but eventually decided to remove all the brake pads, cleaned everything up, checked pistons were free, greased and refitted. Lo and behold the vibration disappeared, or it has up to now.
I honestly can't say I found anything wrong with the brakes other than the pads on the front need replaced shortly.
You never know. Thumbs Up

The other thing is obviously the Torque convertor showing signs of wear of the lock-up clutch friction plate.
This can be checked for when the vibration is present by simply pressing on the brake pedal. Pressing the brake pedal disengages the lock-up clutch and the vibration disappears.

I'm not sure how much reliance you can put on finding no aluminium particles in the gearbox oil pan or oil, the best place to look for early signs of wear is in the filter itself by disassembling the filter and looking on the underside of the filter element for aluminium particles.

Post #263279 4th Jun 2014 8:25pm
Discotigger

Had new brake pads and discs all round not too long ago, plus replacement front calipers, vibration both before and after, so deffo not brakes. Thumbs Up

Same thing with wheel bearings and track control arms, anti-roll bar drop links, bushes, etc. that's why the puzzlement.

As I said in the previous post, it definately is nothing to do with the gearbox OR torque converter, my indy has been very thorough (with my help and guidance) on the gearbox checking / servicing. Plus the fact that, since the vibration started early last year, I've done about 30k miles. The vibration has always been at the same intensity, gentle but noticeable to me. If there had been a problem with either the gearbox or TQ, then it would have 'let rip' a long time ago (I drive my FF in all manner of styles, from quiet to 'just stolen it'!) and there'd now be bits of RR autobox strewn down the A66 Whistle

This is why I've wondered if it could be something like the engine mounts, occams razor scenario!! Thumbs Up

Post #263300 4th Jun 2014 9:47pm
PaulB

2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

When I had my vibration issue, which in the end turn out to be the torque converter, they first change the injectors, then they change the engine mountings then finally the TC.

I did say in the beginning I thought it was the TC after researching the forum.

Post #263320 4th Jun 2014 11:49pm
nicedayforit

I'd be inclined to add a couple of tubes of Dr Tranny to the gearbox oil and see what happens.
Cheap to try. Thumbs Up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Tubes-Dr-Trann...2a3cbfa95a

Post #263341 5th Jun 2014 8:10am
Discotigger

Can we get back on topic please...

THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE Censored Censored GEARBOX OR Censored Censored TORQUE CONVERTER.

I think all the information I've posted above goes to prove it's nowt to do with the tranny! So can we not have any more daft 'g/box or TQ comments'.

This thread is about the hydraulic engine mounts...simples!!

Post #263342 5th Jun 2014 8:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>