Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > annoying cruise control behaviour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
markcaughey

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue
annoying cruise control behaviour

Recently i have noticed that when using the cruise control on motorway etc sitting between 50-70mph whenever on a downhill slope the car tends to drop a gear down to 5th then back to 6th and seems to be unsure what gear to be in. I had the car on a long run a few days ago and its definitely only happens when the car is in standard D with cruise on, doesn't happen if you either put the car in manual and stick it in 6 or if the cruise control is not activated. has anyone else found this issue with the cruise control on ? its the most irritating thing as you just want the car to coast when on a downhill slope plus if you have passengers in the car they are like why are you dropping a gear to go down hill.

I find myself not using the cruise, even though i know if i put it in 6 it won't do it but i just don't like the idea of forcing it to stay in 6 just in case for some reason it does need to change down going up hill etc and i have got it stuck in 6

its definitely not a transmission issue and car drives perfect so long as cruise is not on so I'm thinking along the lines of cruise control adaptations reset etc if that is possible.

any help much appreciated Range Rover Vogue 2006 4.4 AJV8 | Buckingham Blue | Parchment Leather | Supercharged Grill+Side Vents | CA02 HEY ( NOT 02 PLATE )

Post #320317 29th Mar 2015 12:45pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

cruise controls dont like hills and dips...it trys to keep a constant speed and if going down a hill it will hunt for the best gear to keep that speed ,sometimes going to a lower then higher gear [as you have experienced] ... we tend to lift our foot off the accelerator to coast down a hill. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #320318 29th Mar 2015 12:49pm
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Mine does that as well. If I'm in cruise above about 50 then I'll stick it in manual and leave it in 6th. Ultimately if it needs to change down it will but it'll then hold the lower gear.

But then again I haven't had an issue with it making it up a hill in 6th on cruise - even when I was towing a Series III up to Middlesbrough... Ed

Post #320319 29th Mar 2015 12:50pm
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

I suspect the car is actually right (although possibly annoying). Technically - you have asked it to keep to a certain speed and the car uses engine braking if its exceeding that speed. In order to achieve this the car drops down a gear. simples

I suspect the 50mph is one of those awkward speeds where 5th (or 6th or even 8th) is too much so has to drop down a notch. Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #320320 29th Mar 2015 12:55pm
RJH

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Mine also does something similar, also have an Audi & that does it also. Like others have said I assume its programmed to try & maintain the speed you've selected. 2011 (MY12) 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
2016 Golf GTI PP

Gone
Audi A4
VW Passat
VW Corrado G60
VW Golf GTI
BMW E30
Mini
Vauxhall Chvette

Post #320322 29th Mar 2015 1:45pm
markcaughey

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

cheers guys, good to know there is nothing wrong just the way it is. My previous car BMW 330 auto with the zf 6 speed didn't seem to do it but it would tend to creep over the set speed when going down hills just different set up i suppose Range Rover Vogue 2006 4.4 AJV8 | Buckingham Blue | Parchment Leather | Supercharged Grill+Side Vents | CA02 HEY ( NOT 02 PLATE )

Post #320324 29th Mar 2015 2:03pm
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

It will go slightly higher but not too much above it before it tries to stop it running away. Ed

Post #320326 29th Mar 2015 2:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1