Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Planning first transmission oil change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
FrankRizzo

Germany 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Planning first transmission oil change

My '08 TDV8 Vogue has done 95k miles in total, of which I've done 29k in the two years I've owned it. It's still on its original gearbox (as far as I can tell from the service history which, although up-to-date, is not very detailed). After reading all the posts on here I think it's high time it had a transmission oil change but as a layman there are a couple of things I'm not clear on:

1) Is a transmission oil change part of any of the scheduled service intervals?

2) What is the difference between a 'megaflush' and the double flush that I've read LR dealers offer?

3) My LR dealer quoted me around 500EUR (ca. 375GBP) to do the job. At that price would that be for the simple oil change as shown in the ZF video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrgmfM8VlQ) or for one of the flush procedures above?

4) What questions should I ask the dealer regarding what exactly the job entails (i.e. what I'm getting for my money)?

I appreciate any help you can offer. I've noticed a slight shudder sometimes when the car changes into second but other than that I've had no transmission problems with it. It has not be used for towing and was a company car for the first four years of its life so I assume it has mainly been used for motorway cruising, which is mostly what I use it for, too. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black
2008 Vogue 3.6 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Java Black

Post #309396 31st Jan 2015 1:36am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Hi Frank,

If you’ve not seen the below recent threads they should assist you.

Your ZF 6HP2, 6 speed automatic gearbox is said to be ‘sealed for life’ although in reality, the LR guidelines are that they should be ‘serviced’ (oil/filter change) at 100,000k miles.

Most enthusiasts and professionals on this forum seem to be proactive and have the gearbox serviced before 100k miles or when they become aware of the importance of doing it.

The judder you refer to can be stopped by means of the gearbox ‘service’ and/or a transmission software update.

On the first thread below, knowledgeable professionals and experienced enthusiasts talk in detail about the subject.

Member Nick1TDV8 also posted, “Just picked mine up after a full transmission oil change/diffs etc. Latest software update... Different drive. Nicer by a mile. Judder from 1st to 2nd has all but gone, the smoothness is noticeable too. Very happy I got mine done. “

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic27651....ox+service

In this second thread, single and double flushes are referred to along with details on parts kits and prices which should help you discuss from an informed point of view with your mechanic, as to what they are offering for your money.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic25226....=megaflush

If you search under the key words ‘megaflush’ ‘double flush’ ‘gearbox service’ you should hopefully find more threads of interest to you.

Hope this helps

Thumbs Up

Post #309406 31st Jan 2015 8:58am
Mikey

Scotland 

LR Interval is 150k, and is a simple drain/refill, using 4.5 litres

ZF, the gearbox manufacturers service interval is a FLUSH , using 11 litres, at between 50-75k miles, depending on use

Thumbs Up

Post #309415 31st Jan 2015 9:46am
sodalis

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green
Re: Planning first transmission oil change

Hi Frank,

I think there is a ZF service centre in Frankfurt where you could get it done. I had a full flush for 575EUR at their centre in Dortmund.

Jack

Post #309416 31st Jan 2015 9:48am
FrankRizzo

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Can you get the software update done without the oil change? Can ZF do the update or will the LR dealer have to do it? sodalis, you were right about the ZF centre in Frankfurt. I'll ring them for a quote. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black

Post #309480 31st Jan 2015 6:08pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Would personally get zf to do it if at all possible, after all they built it and will know it inside out Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #309481 31st Jan 2015 6:21pm
FrankRizzo

OK, well it's taken a while for me to get around to contacting my local ZF centre but I have an appointment for the service in three week's time.

The mechanic said he would have to see if the gearbox pan must be replaced depending on my exact model. From the above video it seems that pan replacement is pretty standard because the oil filter is part of the pan.

He also said the service will only use about 4.5 litres of transmission oil. The video above states between 4 and 6. Does that sound right to you guys? Sounds like the same service that my LR dealer was offering...

Lastly he said ZF don't do the software upgrade as that always has to be done by the vehicle manufacturer but he said it's worth doing. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black

Post #321030 2nd Apr 2015 8:16pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I understand it was the early models that had the filter as part of the pan.Mine is a 2004 and had the filter separate to the pan on 2 screws so I would guess yours will be the same you will just need the filter that is about £26 genuine.Mine also took 6.5 litres but I gave it overnight to drain so I got possibly a fraction more out than a quick drain.Have got to do my second drain yet but my mate who is a skilled lr technician insists I do it 3 times,i did buy a 20 litre tub so I may as well use it,it was as cheap as buying 15 anyway at £7/litre.

Post #321047 2nd Apr 2015 10:33pm
babagee

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi

Anybody had experience of the Gearbox Service Kit from LR Parts?

http://www.lrparts.net/automatic-transmiss...ne-zf.html

Thanks

Ian

Post #321052 2nd Apr 2015 10:52pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Switching to the metal pan on the Disco makes sense, but not on the L322. I would stick with the combined plastic sump/filter.

Phil

Post #321058 3rd Apr 2015 12:10am
FrankRizzo

Any particular reason why? 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black

Post #321059 3rd Apr 2015 12:13am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

There's no cross-member in the way (i.e. no need to disconnect the engine mount and jack up the engine) and the steel pan & separate filter are more expensive.

Phil

Post #321060 3rd Apr 2015 12:27am
FrankRizzo

After watching this video of it being done on the Disco I see what you mean. A commenter said the metal pan is low profile. Is that why it's better for the Disco? Is it easier to access under the cross-member than the plastic one?[/url] 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black

Post #321988 9th Apr 2015 10:47pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I changed my pan to a metal one anyway because if and when I do another oil change it is much cheeper to buy the filter than whole pan . The 6HP26 box is used in a lot of Ford products here and most installation have proved to be problematic due to poor oil cooling , as a result oil is changed on average much more frequently than 100.000 miles .
I haven't decided how frequently to change the oil yet but on Ford Falcons running less power than me they recommend between 30-40,000 klm because of the heat , a bit extreme me thinks but now I have the pan done it will be cheeper next time . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #321997 10th Apr 2015 2:18am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

FrankRizzo wrote:
After watching this video of it being done on the Disco I see what you mean. A commenter said the metal pan is low profile. Is that why it's better for the Disco? Is it easier to access under the cross-member than the plastic one?[/url]

The metal pan has a separate filter so on a D3 for instance with a plastic pan, you need to jack up the engine to allow access for the pickup pipe (which is part of the sump on a plastic OE arrangement) on a metal pan, the filter is separate so after removing the metal sump, the oil filter (and long pickup pipe) has more room to drop out sir... Elevating the need to jack up the engine and all the necessary work that involves in that process Rolling Eyes

The RR does not have the same gearbox crossmember (in the way) as the D3 so in terms of ease there is no need to replace the OE plastic arrangement with the metal one sir... Unless its your choice to do so as stated above Thumbs Up

Lastly, if you choose to change to the metal sump arrangement? Be warned, there are quite a few on the market without a drain plug Shocked Obviously that makes life quite a bit more tricky when you come to service it again Whistle Rolling Eyes

Hope that all helps Bow down

Post #322004 10th Apr 2015 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>