Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Horse trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue
Horse trailer

I have seen a reasonably priced Richardson horse trailer near me for sale and we have been after a trailer for a while but all 'good' ones have been far far away, not worth my time to travel as trailers do turn up local at times but missed the deal.

My question to all out their who have had one what are they like to tow?, to light, heavy as a Rice or similar to Ivor and build ??
I have towed Ivor and Rice horse trailers behind my old Discos over the years ( light and loaded) and towed fine, I was really after a Rice as they are heavy lumps to tug but solid, Ivor just have a premium to the price 2nd hand.

I know Richardson have been about awhile but I have not towed one, just after a comparison. If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #332276 12th Jun 2015 10:01pm
RiccartonRR

Scotland 

We sold an Ifor and bought a Rice Treble (newer style) so we could take all three horses at once. AFAIK the Rice and the Richardson are the same trailer basically with just a few "style" tweeks.

Ifor's don't ride, empty or loaded, anywhere near as nice as the Rice / Richardson models which give a far smoother ride for the horses. Ifor's definately have the brand image but ...........

After checking condition (I presume it's got the plastic floor) make sure it's on 4 stud wheels is my best advice. Some were uprated to 3.5te with 5 stud axles but for just two horses the suspension is too firm IMHO. Also, check headroom as they vary considerably on the Rice / Richardson models which are all basically bespoke as far as I can tell. Our Rice has 7'6" headroom but I've seen them under 7'.

Good luck and I hope you get a good'en Thumbs Up

Post #332305 13th Jun 2015 9:02am
RiccartonRR

Scotland 

Oops - forgot to say - the Rice / Richardson models have full height front unload (as per my picture) unlike the Ifor Thumbs Up

Post #332306 13th Jun 2015 9:04am
Welshdragon

Thank you for that, nice to know Rice and Richardson are basically the same underneath Thumbs Up
I won't even entertain any trailer that doesn't have a front unload ramp, you can see the hassle getting a horse in a box never mind getting back out.....backwards Laughing

One I'm looking at has front and rear ramps and looks like 4 stud wheels and also the girl says will hold 2 15.2 hh Cool

Looking on the dragon riding Web site there is a nice blue rice too, but further to travel! If it dont work.......burn it!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #332348 13th Jun 2015 2:36pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

If it only holds two 15.2's it sounds more like a pony trailer than a horse trailer

Post #332354 13th Jun 2015 4:45pm
Welshdragon

Horse is 14.2 or higher, pony 14.2 lower, but not always!

Ponies and horses are both equines. In general, a horse is an equine that stands about 14.2 hands high or more  and a pony is an equine that stands under that mark, give or take depending on region; for instance, in Australia the dividing line is 14 hands rather than 14.2.

That being said, although the main distinction between the two is size, size is not the only determining factor. There are some horses smaller than a typical pony size that are not ponies but horses. For instance, breeds such as the Falabella horse, which stand no taller than 7.5 hands, are considered very small horses, not ponies.  Further, Caspian horses almost always are under 12 hands, yet  aren’t considered ponies.

Confused yet Wink Thumbs Up If it dont work.......burn it!

Post #332356 13th Jun 2015 5:48pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Anything smaller than 17hh is. in my mind. a pony, and thats what counts for me Rolling with laughter

Post #332360 13th Jun 2015 7:05pm
Welshdragon

Rolling with laughter

Do you have a lift to get on, know I would.
Mrs WD was looking at a 16.2 last night Shocked If it dont work.......burn it!

Post #332361 13th Jun 2015 7:18pm
Rosco

Joking aside, a pair of stepladders does the trick, not as young as I used to be!! To stay on topic, we have always had Ifor Williams, currently 2 x 511 which have 17.2 headroom. Never tried the others so cant compare Thumbs Up
SWMBO is trying to talk me into getting rid gf the 7.5T lorry for a 3.5T to replace the trailers as well.

You think FFs are costly to run, try a horse lorry, makes you weep if you ever worked out the cost per mile Big Cry

Post #332363 13th Jun 2015 7:26pm
RiccartonRR

Scotland 

Ok Thumbs Up SWMBO has two "equines" - both 14h1" but one is very much a horse whilst the other is very much a pony and will become my 9yr olds steed once her education is more advanced (she's rising 5!!!). Being a horse or a pony is a blurred line around that size.

A friend has 2 17h2" thoroughbreds and both weight considerably less than my 16h2" ID who needs a wider trailer yet again. Therefore, to say a trailer (Ifor HB505 for instance) will accommodate 2 horses of a given height is not all the story. My ID is VERY muscly and carries no fat but by-god he's big!

I keep looking at horseboxes but........I'm about to start the build of an Ifor LM166 Tri based 4 horse herringbone trailer with tack-room. If a horse-box is stood still it costs £££s - if a trailer is stood still it costs very little. But - a horse-box is nice. My last 7.5te race transporter was lovely to be in despite the costs / hassle.

Sorry but I've lost the point of my post - just had a steak from our own livestock and I'm too busy salivating Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #332373 13th Jun 2015 8:27pm
Rosco

Steve, agree 100% re the trailer/lorry cost debacle. Very interested in your new build project, have looked at the Ifor Eventa, is it along these lines or the american 'lorry with living behind a pick up' Thumbs Up There is a definite, although small, market for that kind of trailer IMHO

Post #332375 13th Jun 2015 8:50pm
RiccartonRR

Scotland 

Rosco Thumbs Up tack room will be at the front with the horse area behind.

We don't need full living - just somewhere to put all the tack / paraphernalia and somewhere to change etc. But we do need to be able to carry up to 4 ponies and unfortunately the Eventa just isn't flexible enough. The nearest I can find out of the box is the HB610 along with some Fautras etc but they're not quite what I want so at that money I may as well have something that fits my needs perfectly (14ft isn't long enough hence going 16).

Just need to finish the barn extension then I'll be onto it like a midge on a tourist!!! Very Happy

Post #332422 14th Jun 2015 9:22am
markdotreed

United Kingdom 

I have a Rice Horse Box I bought for storage. never put a horse in it but it had a new floor. £300 if anyone wants it. Regards
Mark

2009 D4; 1993 Classic 3.9 VSE

Post #332575 15th Jun 2015 11:10am
Welshdragon

Pm sent Mark Thumbs Up Thumbs Up If it dont work.......burn it!

Post #332615 15th Jun 2015 4:03pm
rathbranV8

Ireland 2002 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Have Ifor Williams 510,our second one,built solid and a great fan of them.

And they do have a full height front unloading door on the drivers side,comes as a ramp and top door split side exactly as the photo above..?

Post #332744 16th Jun 2015 3:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>