Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Fitted the brembo 6 pot upgrade today, with write up and pic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
L_G_D

Poland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

So I need the, i don't how is in eng...knuckle assy from the facelift model?

Post #548693 29th Mar 2020 4:01pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The hub assembly would need to be changed to a 2009> hub sir... Thumbs Up

Post #548694 29th Mar 2020 4:04pm
L_G_D

Ok. Hub Very Happy

To make a full conversion I must have
1) 6 pot calipers
2) discs
3) dust shields
4) Pads
5) difrent sensor
6) and the hub from facelift

Post #548698 29th Mar 2020 4:17pm
L_G_D

Maybe I only change disc's and pads and use GEN parts Confused

Post #548699 29th Mar 2020 4:19pm
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

Not sure if this comment helps or not, but do people realise these caliper changes do not improve the rate you can stop - only the resistance to fade or the feel / movement of the brake pedal ?.
If you can already lock the wheels / get the ABS operating - which you should be able to with any RR brake system in reasonable condition, the only improvement that stops you faster are grippier tyres. Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #548715 29th Mar 2020 6:07pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I’ve got a 3.6 with 4 pots and a 4.4 with 6 pots and always felt that the 6 pots were a bit better. I’ve recently fitted EBC front discs and pads to the 3.6 and I prefer the feel of them to the 6 pots.
It’ll be a much cheaper upgrade!

Post #548727 29th Mar 2020 7:24pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Pawl wrote:
Not sure if this comment helps or not, but do people realise these caliper changes do not improve the rate you can stop - only the resistance to fade or the feel / movement of the brake pedal ?.
If you can already lock the wheels / get the ABS operating - which you should be able to with any RR brake system in reasonable condition, the only improvement that stops you faster are grippier tyres.

For this reason I've contemplated replacing my 4.4's 6-pot with the 2-pot sliding caliper fitted to the 2011/12 5.0 NA to allow 18" rims to fit for a vastly better selection of AT tyres. The retro-fit is a user-certifiable change where I live. I previously replaced my then 3.0 D4's brakes with those from the 2.7 D4 (same as 2.7 D3) to allow 17" rims because at the time there weren't any decent 18" AT tyres available, eliciting adverse comments even from people who bought a 2.7 D4 to get the smaller brakes!

Post #548749 29th Mar 2020 9:07pm
L_G_D

cass wrote:
I’ve got a 3.6 with 4 pots and a 4.4 with 6 pots and always felt that the 6 pots were a bit better. I’ve recently fitted EBC front discs and pads to the 3.6 and I prefer the feel of them to the 6 pots.
It’ll be a much cheaper upgrade!

I wonder if it's a better option to for GEN disc an pads or e.g EBC.

Post #548801 30th Mar 2020 11:01am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

Pawl wrote:
If you can already lock the wheels / get the ABS operating - which you should be able to with any RR brake system in reasonable condition, the only improvement that stops you faster are grippier tyres.

Does not help at all,

The brakes on ANY car will stop it fine be it once or twice etc ... The point of greater performing brakes is when repeatedly used the do not fade out. Think about slowing your 3 ton range rover down with a 1.5 ton trailer behind it on a very long decent ... or if you drive your range rover like a tool having to pull up that weight repeatedly.

The front brakes on the 2010 are extremely poor compared to all other models given the power of the engines and weight of the cars compared to say an early TD6, Many on here have found the 2010 brakes to be very sketchy when pushed hard or asked to stop at speed in an emergency situation where you really have to put in some force to what feels like very vague braking power

I have a 2010 which i changed from the cheese brakes to the 6 pot brembo and i can as others have say that i had one or two very worrying situations where the cheese brakes felt so infective when i had to stand on them hard because of some moron pulling out in front of me it was rather worrying, To be fair i think the pads on one side were getting down a bit so perhaps not working as they should and all different brand rotors and pads will be different but at the end of the day the upgrade can be done very cheaply and they bolt straight onto the 2010 car... id you want to fit smaller wheels for better sidewalled offroad tires then fair enough run or change to the cheese but other than that i can't see the point in keeping them

The police force in Australia when they used to use holden / isuzu rodeos with petrol V6 engines were told (and believe me they knew it thru training) that they had two good stops in a high speed chase but that was it..... try the same three or four times in a row the car wont pull up

Also a grippier tire will only put more load on the braking system and heat soak them even fatser.....

Dave 2010 3.6TDV8 Autobiography
Bas remap, Egr deleted (blanked & via remap) , Cold air intake, Turbo back exhaust, Provent 200 catch can, Banks idash gauge, 275/55/R20

GAP Diagnostics

Past - 02 & 03 TD6 And an 1984 Classic

Post #548830 30th Mar 2020 2:13pm
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

Dave,
I'm glad we agree.
It surprises me how many people appear to be changing their callipers because they think they'll stop faster or because they look better rather than for improved fade resistance.

Fade resistance used to be much less important to vehicle manufacturers until the German motor magazine Auto Motor Sport designed their AMS brake fade test to embarrass Japanese cars imported into Europe a few decades ago -by comparing their brake fade to fast Audis, BMWs, Mercs etc.
Land Rover did improve their brake specs to reduce embarrassment - but were always too cheap to fit the best they could. Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #548860 30th Mar 2020 4:23pm
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

It is amazing how much work the brakes do even at low speeds on a long decent ... Many people in Australia with landcruisers have issues with heavy camper trailers when doing long slow but relentless descents even at low offroad speeds. I agree the cheaper cheese brakes on the rangie are better than other manufactures particularly jap 4x4... A fact which will blow many peoples minds (specially people that think a landcruiser is well built Razz Rolling Eyes ) is the stock rear rotor on the l322 is actually larger than the front rotor of a 200 series landcruiser yet the cars weigh all but identical

You can never go too big with brakes

Bas remap, Egr deleted (blanked & via remap) , Cold air intake, Turbo back exhaust, Provent 200 catch can, Banks idash gauge, 275/55/R20

GAP Diagnostics

Post #548928 31st Mar 2020 9:32am
GraemeS

The MY10/12 L322 2-piston calipers and discs are the same "big" brakes as fitted to the 3.0 D4, with only the position of the hole for the retaining screw in the disc different.

Post #548933 31st Mar 2020 10:08am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

GraemeS, If you need a set of the cheese callipers let me know... i kept mine thinking if i need to rebuild the 6 piston one etc at some point or in an emergency i could fit them or one of them back on to tie me over but reality of it is they are just going to be sitting around collecting dust

GAP Diagnostics

Post #548958 31st Mar 2020 1:52pm
GraemeS

Thanks Dave, although I'm hoping not to change them. After trying BFG-KO2 in 275/55R20 which were very noisy and the 2 rears destroyed (cracks) presumably from rocks thrown-up by the front wheels and now Pirelli AT+ in 275/55R20 2 of which have been destroyed albeit in special circumstances, I'm still hoping for a good 255/60R19 to surface before I get sick of the disadvantages of the oversize 275/55R20.

Post #549005 31st Mar 2020 8:59pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I thought by 2010 they were all 6-pot brembos (branded Range Rover)

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #549007 31st Mar 2020 9:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>