Home > Technical (L405) > Suspension Complaint - Latest
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Suspension Complaint - Latest

Hi all

After several weeks of discussions, test drives and replacement of lower control arms and drive shaft the local deaker called today to say they weren't able to offer anymore support of my complaint that my suspension is very soft and harsh over rough surfaces. I was given a 15 plate to drive which was fantastic, but they said that was because it has the new design ARC valve blocks (something I told them from day 1) and I should not compare it, and all early L405's drive like mine, so as far as they are concerned they will do no more. When I said "so are you saying a wallowy and crashy rude is normal" they said "yes on early ones".

I spoke to LR and they say the dealer never logged and data with their technical team so no communication took place, back to square one with the need to go back for another test drive?

A question, do you guys with early examples have these problems? I recall some owners having replacement airbags with the new blocks included, what year vehicles please?

I haven't driven another SDV8 of the same year, none about, so will have to drive to a dealer further afield to do it, which I will do as soon as I have spare time.

What a drawn out and painful process, LR have spoken to the dealer but I'm no further forward, I'm going to ask if I can swap to another dealer, anyone on here have good feedback for a north east dealer?

Thanks

Carl

Post #348212 17th Sep 2015 4:44pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I've used the Kelso franchise (now Lloyd Land Rover, formerly Croall Bryson) since 2000 and am happy to recommend them. It's not too far over the Border. I know they have customers from the Newcastle area. Damian Purves, the workshop foreman, strikes me as knowing his stuff and being straightforward, also good at listening to customers to help solve problems. He travelled with me over a selection of local roads in order to try to identify the source of an irritating buzzing from the dash (this was successfully eliminated as a result) and he might well be able to do something similar to assess your car. There are plenty of winding roads nearby.

Lloyds don't tend to have large stocks of second hand 405s, so I don't know whether you could readily try a car of similar age and spec there. For what it is worth, the 4.4 405 I have driven (21" wheels and Goodyear tyres) was a 62 registration and it did not strike me as having very soft suspension or being harsh over bad surfaces, and my drive included farm tracks and various poorly surfaced roads in Edinburgh and the Borders. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #348233 17th Sep 2015 6:29pm
jettec

Australia 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Fuji White

my car is an MY14.5 and it had all of your front suspension problems. My dealer in Australia ended up doing numorous things to the front end including
Updated ARC valve block.
Plus updated front air struts.
New steering rack.
New suspension bushings
New software and reprogramming
New steering rack bolts and retorquing to a new torque setting.
The dealership really came through the car now is just great !
No more head bobbing from side to side
No more cluncking on bumps.
No more of the front end bobbing up and down when stopping at the lights.
There is a fix and the company will fix it, just deal with JLR .

Post #348355 18th Sep 2015 9:45am

United Kingdom 

I had lower arms, bags, ARC bar and bushes replaced. All a waste of time. The only thing that makes the difference is the new valve block for the ARC with dampers. Until you get this replaced you will still have the knocking suspension that you can hear and feel through the floor.

Post #348404 18th Sep 2015 3:33pm
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Went to a different dealer and their workshop controller took it out after I spoke about my complaints and within 1 minute he compared the ride to being in a HGV, describing how he could feel it floating up and down. He said front airbags will be his first recommendation to LR but he wants to keep it for a week so he can live the car and its failings better, thanks for the comments about the parts they will possibly replace Thumbs Up

I also mentioned the turbo lag, not sure he was too interested in that though.

Carl

Post #352100 13th Oct 2015 7:26pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Sounds like you've got a getter dealer now Thumbs Up

Post #352115 13th Oct 2015 9:07pm
crookedm

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

For the price of these, the way you're treated is appalling. I'm surprised Land Rover stay in business these days really.

Hope you get this sorted.

Post #352774 17th Oct 2015 8:31pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Fingers crossed here hoping that it finally gets sorted now, it has been quite an ordeal for you sofar. I really hope that you finally get to drive the car the way it is supposed to be! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #352802 18th Oct 2015 4:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1