Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Heating vents not working in Auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
neilw

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Heating vents not working in Auto

Had the FF (2008) for a couple of weeks, so apologies if this is a numpty newbie question. Today was the first time my wife was in it with me and as it was colder today than it's been for the last couple of weeks so the heating was put to use. I've been using it last week with it just on auto and adjusting the temperature to suit, but today was 3 degrees outside so heat was required.

Having had a Disco 3 for a few years previously I'd assumed that the Climate Control would be the same on the FFRR, but I'm not sure if I have a problem with mine or it's a characteristics of the RR.

So the first issue is: with the Climate Control in Auto mode we found the only way of getting air from the 4 controllable vents in the centre of the dash and the 2 at the sides was to use the manual switch.

In auto mode there's warm air at the windscreen and from the side vents above the adjustable ones.

Tried at different temperature settings, could only get air out of the 6 vents when using the manual switch on the dash.

Should there be hot air from the adjustable vents when in Auto Mode?

The second issue is that the rear vents were pumping out hot air even when the rears were switched off at the dash: is this normal for a FFRR?

Spent some time searching for CC/Heating issues came came across multiple references to the FSR, just wondering if I do have a problem with the heating, or this is normal operating? And if I do have a problem could it be FSR related?

Post #300986 26th Dec 2014 7:37pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Is your car a Vogue SE? If so, you can make the rears work independently to the fronts by pushing the bottom right button. This allows for the read controls to operate, whereas, if this button is off, they are controlled by the main heating controls.

Usual symptoms of a dodgy FSR are no blower, or blowers all the time, been with the ignition off and key out. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #300988 26th Dec 2014 7:50pm
Lad

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Fan my brow was just about to search and then complain about my heater. Mine is on auto, with two little lights on the middle fan control speed knob. But no matter what the side dials are at (16-2Cool no waft from the fans. Like you Neil my D3 was fine, whatever the temp was set at it sorted it out perfectly. If I put defrost on I get the full fans and heated screens on as well, and if I turn off heated screens the fans still blow up screen. Putting max a/c on blows cold air no matter what temp is selected and whilst driving tonight started to steam up front screen. Rolling Eyes
I was wondering if I'd not set something on or off or missed something else. I've tried all sorts tonight whilst sat on drive trying to get warm air out but no matter which selection I choose it doesn't blow warm air out.
If I set temp dials high and turn the middle knob so it's manual fan speed it does blow warmer air but would like it to do it all automatically itself like the D3.
Idiots guide to sorting it out would be very welcome Very Happy
Also I noticed whilst out tonight that the rear heated screen started to de-mist then seemed to stop, leaving very thin lines just either side of the heating elements. The rear heated screen button was still lit. I left it on but it didn't de-mist anymore. I'm presuming that a fuse may have blown, so no de-mist but light stays on, on the button?

Post #301000 26th Dec 2014 8:35pm
neilw

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Looks like there were 2 of us sitting on Driveways tonight.

I even had the gauges steam up today whilst trying to get some heat in the cabin.

The differences between the FFRR and the D3 can be a pain. Straight after buying mine we stopped for a coffee, nearly put the the RR into a hedge as I was so used to the forward parking sensors coming on automatically when slowing down. Thought mine had failed until I read the manual and found out that in a RR they only come on automatically in reverse, manual input required for the forward ones.

alan - yes have found the button for the rear controls so am happy that the rear heating controls are working ok.

Post #301008 26th Dec 2014 9:13pm
Lad

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter yes. Whilst our neighbours sat by their warm fires, we were trying to extract warmth from our cars Whistle

Post #301033 27th Dec 2014 1:12am
rr driver

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

I have the same issue with mine. It only gets warmer with the temp turned on max if on Auto. If auto is off, ( and just the horizontal line is on) it will blow air at around 23ish+. The dealer will be having look at the car on the 7th so will report back with what they have " found" 2011 5.0SC Santorini Black
2009 5.0SC Santorti Black - Been stolen.
Had
2.5 DHSE P38
Alfa Romeo
BMW

Post #301036 27th Dec 2014 2:17am
Chillb

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Rimini Red

Rolling with laughter found the same problem with my parking sensors when I got my FFRR. Can the fronts be activated by a software change by the dealer to come on automatically. Funny also got problems with with central vents not blowing cold when on auto at say 22, not hot either if you change wheel. Dealer said possibly an actuator had stuck. I have an occasional blast as if it is trying to open.

Post #301040 27th Dec 2014 9:35am
Joe90

England 

De rigueur to reverse into a parking space Twisted Evil .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #301166 27th Dec 2014 7:54pm
Chillb

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Rimini Red

PS A couple of other questions, can the Drivers Door Mirror be programmed to dip as it does on a D3 and also the rear wipe to come on one sweep if you engage reverse when the main wipers are on.
Very insignificant but very useful features.
Any ideas anyone Exclamation

Post #301282 28th Dec 2014 3:19pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

no and no.... Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #301292 28th Dec 2014 4:03pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Mine does both of these...do only the 10MY+ vehicles have these features?

Post #301518 29th Dec 2014 5:31am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Yes 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #301525 29th Dec 2014 9:37am
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I can't imagine the L322 not having the reverse dip mirror function of any age. The early ones were heavily based on BMW tech and they have had this function for as long as I remember...

Post #301626 29th Dec 2014 3:10pm
Lad

I know it's an old thread but I've come up with an idea why mine heater may not be working correctly Whistle
I'm thinking that the air sensors that monitor the temperature maybe reading the air temperature wrong. Meaning, if the heater is set at 20 for instance the sensors maybe thinking it's 30?????? And thus not blowing out warm air. Over the summer when I've got in the car and it's very warm inside it nearly blows me into the rear seats with cold air, after a while it settles down and is ok.
Now in the last couple of morning's it's been a little cold and even tho the car it's up to running temperature it's not giving any warm air out at all. It will give cold air out if the dials are set at cold but when I turn everything right up to warm no warm air comes out at all on auto, I have to manually adjust the fan and then warm air comes out the vents.
Another reason could be the sensor vents are bunged up with dust and many need cleaning. I've seen 2, but does anyone know how many there are and where they are situated?

Thumbs Up

Post #348849 21st Sep 2015 11:05pm
rr driver

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

I will try and get the exact details but this is kind of the "problem" that the service dept found on mine. something to do with an internal thermometer reading. The way they identified the issue was by driving the car with a thermometer which provide the difference between the "actual" temperature in the car was and what the car thought the temperature was before enabling the heating. 2011 5.0SC Santorini Black
2009 5.0SC Santorti Black - Been stolen.
Had
2.5 DHSE P38
Alfa Romeo
BMW

Post #348859 22nd Sep 2015 12:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>