Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > USB/Aux/Bluetooth Retrofit for MOST systems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
recoverytim

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Afternoon everybody!

A big thanks to Weegie for the recommendation of the Umni-Tech system- it really is great. I'm not a huge forum guy so apologies for not posting any photos, but I located my usb/aux in the small square coin tray (?) in front of the gear selector. The glovebox removal was an absolute $#%¥.... Be careful with the venturecam panel as I chipped the wood, thankfully on the bottom edge so can't be seen unless you are doing something naughty in your RR!

Well worth the money. I did the whole install in a couple of hours with a lot of swearing whilst removing the glovebox, but I have been in the motor trade in a previous life so if you are a DIY mechanic I'd suggest allowing a morning.

Sound quality is awesome and it's easy to use, albeit slightly disjointed, but then I am used to having an all singing and dancing Parrot system in my works vehicle!

All the best, Tim

Post #392166 18th Jun 2016 2:15pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Weegie, recoverytim, and anyone else who has an interest/comment - apologies for the thread resurrection. I have to replace the cd changer in our 2007 fullfat, am thinking that while the glovebox is out I may fit an upgrade. So it's either the umno-tech, or the LR kit VPLME0004.
Pound for pound what are the pro's and cons between the two kits? They seem similar in price.
Thanks Thumbs Up 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #424112 21st Jan 2017 4:00pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

To be honest I don't know about the LR kit but thenummo tech has been one of the best upgrades I've done to the vehicle!

I don't have the Bluetooth as I already have the disco 4 BT module fitted but its great!

Fitted in the glovebox loose still but has a 32gb usb3 stick stuffed with songs and then the cable and adapter are fed up to the centre console and allow me to play anything that the phone has on it Smile or that I set streaming on it like Amazon music and so on Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #424116 21st Jan 2017 4:21pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Like Will I don't know the LR kit but, as far as I can see, the Umno does what the LR kit does and more (eg. bluetooth) and is cheaper.

Like Will I too have the LR bluetooth which handles phone calls, including address book, contacts. The Umno bluetooth gives the chance to stream music from a smartphone or Iphone as well as telephone facility. There is some detail in my post re this.

When I bought the kit I was offered the bluetooth interface as a freebie to report back on. I fitted it as requested and tested it. I have since disconnected it as, as above, I have the LR bluetooth and the usb and aux function more than cover my needs.

I have no connection with the company other than as a customer.

HTH John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #424122 21st Jan 2017 4:35pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

That's helpful chaps.
My dilemma is that the cdc in ours mostly plays white noise and is u/s so I am looking to fit another. If the world of pain to get the dash apart has to be done - then an upgrade at the same time may be worth it. However....Madam already has issues with spend levels on the ff (despite a prepurchase chat!) so I need to make sure if I do something it is worth it. The streaming facility may really attract her as she used it loads in the Galaxy we had before, but then its two lots of bluetooth going at the same time. I seem to recall from this thread that the car's bluetooth will cut over the umno if a call comes in automatically ie it has priority? Dont wanna be messing around fitting second microphone.
Probably worth just removing the cdc and having more glovebox space. What I am thinking is umno with permanently connected ipod (presume it charges via the kit?) but can also be used for streaming instead if that suits her on the day? We already have the ipod and all the music on it......
Sound about right? 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #424133 21st Jan 2017 6:14pm
Weegie

Sounds about right but Will, Kingpleb, has iphone etc so can confirm. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #424140 21st Jan 2017 6:54pm
kingpleb

I'm not sure on that front as I don't have the ummo BT bit.

With just the ummo connected if a call comes in it does what it would do with the CDC and imthe call takes over until it's either rejected or call finishes.

I prefer to use cables to connect my phone in a car these days as I can move the phone over to the passenger side or infront of the nav screen to be used as nav and charge the device at the same time. All but one of my cars has USB connectivity now for this very reason Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #424147 21st Jan 2017 8:01pm
recoverytim

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Hi all

Yes, I believe that you will need to take the glovebox out to replace the cdc. It IS a bit of a 'mare so definitely allow at least half a day!

The streaming facility with Umno Bluetooth is good, quality wise and operational wise, although I've found it easier to select a playlist/album from the phone before setting off as using the touchscreen is a bit clunky due to Umno having to intergrate it with the existing LR software and not have dedicated controls.

Yes, the sound cancels when the phone rings. Yes, it uses two Bluetooth connections at the same time. I use the LR phone and Umno music as I like having the phone book and recent calls system up on the dash. That having been said I did have to upgrade the box in the boot to stop the need for continual pairing!

iPhone 6 doesn't charge from the USB socket, I'm not sure about other apple products. There does need to be something connected to the USB in order to 'switch on' the Umno and bypass the cdc.

It's a great kit for the money and easily installed if you don't count the glovebox removal! I chose this option over the LR kit purely based on price- I spent about €250 for the MOST interface and BT thingy, plus the aux/USB lead. By comparison, it looked like I'd have to spend c.£600 on the LR gubbins. I did plug the Umno mic into the BT just to keep it with the system but it's in the back of the glovebox not being used.

Sorry I'm not able to answer all questions specifically, but these are my experiences of it!

I'm happy to chat with you if you have any further questions, I can offer my number in a PM if that helps- however the guys at Umno are very good at replying to email queries in the best English they can muster, which is better than some of my colleagues!!!

All the best, Tim

Post #424215 22nd Jan 2017 11:09am
Weegie

As I understand it the iPhone will charge from the dedicated iphone/ipad module although not from the USB socket. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #424218 22nd Jan 2017 11:16am
kingpleb

As above. They only do the older 30pin connector adapter but I then have the apple 30pin - lightening adapter and it charges just fine. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #424272 22nd Jan 2017 4:43pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

So to further this on - I have had a couple of very helpful conversations with John (weegie) relating to the connectivity angle. Further to that I have been in touch with Mark at Umno.
I wanted to:-
Play music stored on an ipod permanently installed into the car.
And stream music via bluetooth from a phone of whoever is in the car.

The connectivity of the interface (Trioma) allows either their bluetooth unit (BMT2), or their ipod/phone interface to be connected as expansion. Not both. So you can either have the Trioma unit with something connected via usb (like a usb stick) and the idevice interface which will charge, or you have the Trioma with the BMT2 bluetooth so you have a usb stick plus either bluetooth streaming or aux-in on the BMT2 unit.

For my setup - it looks likely that I will have the Trioma and the bluetooth device. Will transfer music off the ipod, into mp3 format, put onto a usb stick, and will use the bluetooth unit for streaming from phones ad-hoc.

Will (kingpleb) - you mentioned in an earlier post that you dont have the bluetooth device but you stream music via the Trioma - could you explain that please? Cheers 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #424951 26th Jan 2017 9:00pm
kingpleb

Hi,

Yes I simply connect my phone via the lightening cable, which then has a 30pin adapter on the other end which then connects to the special adapter from ummo. This connects to the specific socket on the ummo device and not the USB port.

I have a 32gb stick connected to the USB port.

To play from the USB I select CD1 from the changer menu.

To play from the iPhone I select CD4. I start then playing the Amazon music app and the music comes through Smile

I've not used it for a few weeks now but iirc switching the the CD4/iPhone would just auto start shuffling the last played stored song on the phone and not a streaming service.

Bluetooth then connects in the normal way via my disco4 Bluetooth unit Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #424969 26th Jan 2017 10:03pm
Weegie

Just to add. From JB's enquiries and looking at the Umno website they have changed the bluetooth module from the one shown in my original post (BMT1) to a later module (BMT2). There are some differences in the connection.

The Land Rover bluetooth operation is not affected. John
GAP iiD BT

Post #424992 27th Jan 2017 6:38am
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Just ordered my Trioma - will report back accordingly once arrived and installed! 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #427320 11th Feb 2017 4:24pm
Weegie

Suggest a chat when it arrives? The other "bit" is on its way. Thumbs Up John
GAP iiD BT

Post #427332 11th Feb 2017 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>