Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Anyone suffered pothole damage.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Doodle

United Kingdom 
Anyone suffered pothole damage.

Dark, on unlit country road covered in puddles and heavy rain.
Like a bomb going off underneath, suspension completely bottoms out with a violent thump on nearside and there is a loud cracking noise.

Thought windscreen but that seems ok. Tyres and rims look ok (pressures front and rear dropped just 1lb?).

So now it rides like on a cobbled road. No warning lights, just an odd clunk from rear suspension on bends.

Autobiography just 4 months old. Booked into dealers next week.

All on dash cam, including my very bad language and have reported to Highways, plus my intention to claim for repairs.
Pothole was 7.25 inches deep and vertical on my approach side. I was doing 24 mph at time of impact.

So, would such an impact that fully bottoms out the suspension in some way distort the aluminium monocoque shell, especially where it supports the struts.

For aluminium to be as strong as steel, it would have to be so thick that it would be the same weight as steel. The top strut area looks skinny to me.

What components should I expect to be replaced?

Has anyone suffered this problem, or made a claim for repairs?

Not happy chappie Big Cry

Post #364691 31st Dec 2015 6:07pm
Terrier

Happened to my wife in her DS3 a few months ago and after several days of driving the car locally, the suspension collapsed and she scrapped the floor (the car, not the wife).

We've been battling with the council for months as they appear to have an exception to prosecution provided that they can evidence that the road has been "inspected" over the last 3 months. Consequently, they just sent us a raft of official documentation which without a degree is civil engineering, made no sense at all. Anyhow, we continue nude to persevere without any success.

I should add the we own an insurance brokers so you'd think we have that knowledge on a side. Very poor TBH that these organisations seem to be exempt from the laws under which the rest of us operate.

Good luck and happy to help if I can.

Post #364696 31st Dec 2015 7:03pm
Terrier

Sorry, we're not "nude" never have been......ever.

Post #364697 31st Dec 2015 7:05pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Yep, may as well bang your head against a wall as try to claim from the local authority, at the end of the day it is an accident as defined under the road traffic act, "The unintentional coming together of two objects resulting in an adverse physical effect" so your own insurance should pick up the bill...

I doubt it will have done any monocoque damage, they are very very strong, it will just be suspension arms, struts etc.

Personally I wouldn't drive it anywhere, if it fails and injures someone you will be responsible as you have declared on a public open forum that you suspect something is damaged...

Phone your insurance and get them to sort it out.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #364698 31st Dec 2015 7:11pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

My son damaged his BMW when he hit a pothole, two new wheels and tyres were the outcome when he claimed against the local authority using his legal protection cover under his car insurance. So it can be done but it did take a year to sort out.

Post #364701 31st Dec 2015 7:31pm
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Thanks for responses. I know that local authorities have a blocking policy on these types of claim.

I have already issued the documentation under Freedom of Info. to cover inspections and work carried out over the past 2 years for this stretch of road.

If the pothole has already been reported, or inspection was not performed to the guidelines, then there is a liability.

Until I know the extent of the damage/cost, then the course of action chosen can be better judged.

I agree I may have to pay, but might get some or all of it reimbursed after 12 months.

Also agree about not using vehicle incase of failure/accident.

A lot of work just to revert vehicle back to 'normal'. If only I had taken the slightly longer route. Whistle

Post #364720 31st Dec 2015 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1